Speculation: Canucks interested in overage UFA defenseman Darren Raddysh (Erie Otters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Elliot Friedman says canucks are one of the teams interested in signing the overage D-man from the Erie Otters
(he did say Taylor Raddysh but I assume he was just confused, as Taylor is drafted by Tampa Bay)

He is probably the front runner for OHL D-man of the year (which is usually based on scoring)

His brother is quite the player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Good production but Erie has been very good the last few years. Would love to see some input from someone who has seen him play.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
When I saw this tittle saying Raddysh I was like "lol, what are they talking about Raddysh is already drafted." but it's Daren Raddysh not Taylor.

Had me good.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Good production but Erie has been very good the last few years. Would love to see some input from someone who has seen him play.

Yeah interesting he was never drafted. He's put up decent numbers in the past couple of years and has absolutely exploded this year, albeit it's his overage year. But still, those would be good numbers for a forward, never mind a dman

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Even though I prefer snagging guys from college over the CHL, this one is absolutely worth it. I was kind of skeptical of the Chatfield and MacEwen ones, even if the latter looks incredible with the puck.

These kinds of signings are probably swan songs for Neill and Olson.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Even though I prefer snagging guys from college over the CHL, this one is absolutely worth it. I was kind of skeptical of the Chatfield and MacEwen ones, even if the latter looks incredible with the puck.

These kinds of signings are probably swan songs for Neill and Olson.

Bingo. No problem with this at all, assuming we have the contract spots for it (can't be bothered to look it up). I'll take a gamble on an undrafted player like this any day of the week. No doubt he's benefiting from playing with guys like Strome, DeBrincat, and his younger brother, but it clearly takes some talent to be putting up a season like that.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
48 contracts ATM, shouldnt have any trouble being near the max with a bunch coming off this year, few being re-signed and some being replaced

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hmm... another right shot defenseman? Didn't like the Chatfield signing. Wouldn't mind this one.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Bingo. No problem with this at all, assuming we have the contract spots for it (can't be bothered to look it up). I'll take a gamble on an undrafted player like this any day of the week. No doubt he's benefiting from playing with guys like Strome, DeBrincat, and his younger brother, but it clearly takes some talent to be putting up a season like that.

Yup. Dmen are so hard to predict anyways. A LOT of great defensemen have been picked up after the 1st round. Actually makes me think it would make sense to focus on overage d more than forwards as they seem to break out later.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
edit: oops, wrong raddysh, shoulda read OP before posting

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there a method to the madness of loading up with over-age d-men from Canada's junior leagues?....is it quantity over quality?.....You're hoping that if you sign four or five guys, that one might work out?...

...Seems to me the Canucks have a bushel-full of the same kind of 'stay-at-home' d-men who don't bring much offense to the table, even in their over-age years.....but hopefully Jimbo sees something in all these guys.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
What's with all these 20 year old undrafted CHL signings? When was the last time one of these actually worked out?

i went and looked at brocks blog from 2010 to 2016 and arguably the most successful guy that he suggested as a ufa signing was darren archibald so lmao

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Is that from the Canucks or league-wide?

Us, there are a few overage signings that have worked. I.e. Tyler Johnson is one who has been pretty successful.

I would've rather signed Raddysh over Chatfied but not sure i'm a fan of signing 3 UDFA from the CHL in the same year. The success rate from them are much lower than NCAA free agents.

Of course if we do sign Raddysh then either 1 or both Olson and/or Neill won't be signed. The contract won't really count towards this year since anyone we sign now (from the CHL) isn't likely to play any games for us this year so the contract won't count till next year (in terms of both contract slots and ELC starting).

Also not sure where all the Ds will play unless Benning is also planning on moving some other Ds (and then having a super inexperience blue line in Utica).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Us, there are a few overage signings that have worked. I.e. Tyler Johnson is one who has been pretty successful.

I would've rather signed Raddysh over Chatfied but not sure i'm a fan of signing 3 UDFA from the CHL in the same year. The success rate from them are much lower than NCAA free agents.

Of course if we do sign Raddysh then either 1 or both Olson and/or Neill won't be signed. The contract won't really count towards this year since anyone we sign now (from the CHL) isn't likely to play any games for us this year so the contract won't count till next year (in terms of both contract slots and ELC starting).

Also not sure where all the Ds will play unless Benning is also planning on moving some other Ds (and then having a super inexperience blue line in Utica).

Ah yes. Thanks for that reminder. Anyone else though?

Johnson was one who should have been drafted, but was overlooked due to his size.

Regarding where these Dmen will play, my guess would be Alaska. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning give Subban away to make room for these bums.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

yeah for sure, but not through recommendation on that blog. he's widely respected as a pretty good scout, so im not calling into question his ability but rather the idea all-together - getting good overagers seems like it would be a function of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad