Confirmed with Link: Canucks interested in hiring Michael Futa ( Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Look at LA’s prospect cupboard. Look at their two cups. That drafting record is incredible.

I’d still prefer a guy with a more diverse skill set but Futa seems closer to a Jim Nill than a Benning.

Boston’s draft record under Benning’s vs Futa in LA is so one sided it’s ridiculous.

Futa has hit some home runs in drafting but he has had a lot of swing and a miss as well in the first round.

2010 - Derek Forbort at 15- Tarasenko went 16
2009- B Schenn at 5. Decent player but OEL went 6 th
2008 - Teubert at 13. Passed on John Carlsson and Erik Karlsson
2007- Thomas Hickey at 4th

Some of his 2nd round picks.

Oscar Miller
Kyle Clifford
Christopher Gibson
Valentin Zykov
Roland Macewan
Alex Lintuniemi

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Futa has hit some home runs in drafting but he has had a lot of swing and a miss as well in the first round.

2008 - Teubert at 13. Passed on John Carlsson and Erik Karlssok

Oscar Miller
Kyle Clifford
Christopher Gibson
Valentin Zykov
Roland Macewan
Alex Lintuniemi
I don't actually have a problem with someone who guys for the fences at times in the 1st round (I'm talking in general).

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How is Futa less accomplished than Benning in 2014? He has two cups to Benning’s one. LA’s drafting was way better than Boston’s over Benning’s tenure.

Benning riding his dads coattails to this stupid reputation shows how closed off nhl management circles are.

Conpare Boston’s drafts from 2007-2013 to this:Mike Futa’s Drafting And Resume

Drance is getting weird.

Drance is just repeating a narrative in ignorance.

A false narrative, in this case.

Guess who I learned about false narratives from? I am sure you would find the answer shocking.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
judging a gm candidate on his team's drafting when he was middle management is very risky. it has a significant dice roll built into it. even if you assume all the picks were futa's alone, there is generally not enough data points to draw statistically significant conclusions about drafting skill unless you have really skewed results or you consider all rounds and look at overall success rate over a period of years.

and he's not going to be making the picks anyway, so i'd be much more interested in the rest of his resume, and his reputation among those who worked for him.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I could get down with Lombardi president and Futa GM.

Lombardi? Really?

I thought Lombardi effed up royally after the Kings won the Cup(s) by giving out Benningesque contracts, and then doubled down by some slimeball thing to get out of the Richards contract. Maybe I am misremembering, but if that is the case I don't want him in Vancouver.

Futa, on the other hand, I have been calling for since before Benning.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

2008 - Teubert at 13. Passed on John Carlsson and Erik Karlsson

Oscar Miller
Kyle Clifford
Christopher Gibson
Valentin Zykov
Roland Macewan
Alex Lintuniemi
Look at the overall body of work. 2007-2020 they’ve been drafting wiz’s imo.

Thomas Hickey at 4th is miles better than Zach Hammill at 8th same draft.

Brayden Schenn is a great top 5 pick.

Wayne Simmonds, Alec Martinez, Clifford, Deslauriers, Dowd, Toffoli, Weal, Shore, Collin Miller, Cernsk, Wagner, Amadio,Roy

And that’s just within their cup years.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
judging a gm candidate on his team's drafting when he was middle management is very risky. it has a significant dice roll built into it. even if you assume all the picks were futa's alone, there is generally not enough data points to draw statistically significant conclusions about drafting skill unless you have really skewed results or you consider all rounds and look at overall success rate over a period of years.

and he's not going to be making the picks anyway, so i'd be much more interested in the rest of his resume, and his reputation among those who worked for him.

Don't make me like your post.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Lombardi? Really?

I thought Lombardi effed up royally after the Kings won the Cup(s) by giving out Benningesque contracts, and then doubled down by some slimeball thing to get out of the Richards contract. Maybe I am remembering, but if that is the case I don't want him in Vancouver.

I think people like Lombardi can adapt.

I’ll take the two cups.

My preferred president isn’t Lombardi but it seems it could be Aqua’s.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Weird. Feels like we’ve argued the inverse re: Benning

I agree with you. I just thought Drance’s comment stupid and wrong. Thus why I posted that link.

LA’s drafting smashes Benning’s.

Reactions: Peen and I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think people like Lombardi can adapt.

I’ll take the two cups.

My preferred president isn’t Lombardi but it seems it could be Aqua’s.

I mean, yeah, Lombardi's not as incompetent, but he lucked out with Quick, and he lucked into Kopitar. Not to mention Keith concussing Daniel.

In any event, if what I remember about the Richards thing is correct, I don't want to ever see Lombardi near a Canuck jersey.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
How is a drafting GM suppose to navigate all the bad contracts?

Chris Gear is in charge of contracts.

and Beagle Sutter Roussel Baertshci, Luongo penalty , are all expired by next year.

Imo that’s when our window will open.

As great as Benning has been in amateur drafting he hasn’t been good in Pro evaluating and maybe that’s where he is looking to get some help in Futa.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I mean, yeah, Lombardi's not as incompetent, but he lucked out with Quick, and he lucked into Kopitar. Not to mention Keith concussing Daniel.

In any event, if what I remember about the Richards thing is correct, I don't want to ever see Lombardi near a Canuck jersey.
Getting his team out of death knell contract could be seen as a plus to some. I don’t want to rehash that though.

I’d prefer someone else too. But Aqua will hopefully want capable and competent.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Lombardi? Really?

I thought Lombardi effed up royally after the Kings won the Cup(s) by giving out Benningesque contracts, and then doubled down by some slimeball thing to get out of the Richards contract. Maybe I am misremembering, but if that is the case I don't want him in Vancouver.

It is possible for a GM to learn from his mistakes. Benning can't seem to figure it out but you can't assume Lombardi is the same. Many GMs have handed out "retirement" contracts to core players that they've won Cups with. Also Benning has handed out sweetheart deals to non-core UFAs, so that's quite a different situation as well.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
What they need is a liaison role between the analytic department and GM.
Like Colorado has, Toronto has, Carolina has and more and more teams keep hiring for that specific role.
Nobody cares about adding more dinosaurs

Lee Stempniak former NHL’er had like 5 teams interested him for that specific role. But decided he didn’t want to move

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suspect if they hired somebody like Futa, it would be Benning doing the hiring and would likely mean a new title. Benning becomes the President & Director of Hockey Operations; and Futa the GM. Jimbo isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: I am toxic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I suspect if they hired somebody like Futa, it would be Benning doing the hiring and would likely mean a new title. Benning becomes the President & Director of Hockey Operations; and Futa the GM. Jimbo isn't going anywhere.
I think you’re partly correct.
Benning - President
Wisebrod - GM
Futa (new guy) AGM

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Weird. Feels like we’ve argued the inverse re: Benning

I agree with you. I just thought Drance’s comment stupid and wrong. Thus why I posted that link.

LA’s drafting smashes Benning’s.

i think i've been pretty consistent in making the same statistical argument as regards individual top draft picks for years now. i am not going to criticize anyone for a miss in the top ten unless they picked a player that the other pro teams were not after in the same vicinity, or overlooked a player the other teams all ranked higher. i am not interested in the "consensus" pick arguments based on outsiders. so the coulda woulda shoulda pasta/tkachuk/ehlers/nylander stuff has never rung true to me.

i've also been pretty consistent in refusing to accept all the efforts to credit drafting to our recently departed director of scouting.

as regards benning, i think it made sense to hire a guy in 2014 with a drafting background because of what the team needed to do, but i have also said the plan he had to implement significantly held that process back. i have said his draft record has saved his job a few times, but i have also said the fact many of the things he did that you hate were what the owner or linden told him to do is likely another factor.

at this point i think benning is toast regardless of the season because he was aquaman's hatchet man during the offseason, and now petey is mad about the butcher's bill and looking to get out, so benning will be sacrificed unless petey comes around.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This could be the case...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad