Confirmed with Link: Canucks hire Rutherford as POHO/Interim GM | PT2

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
gilman hype gillis hype
Unknown copy.jpeg

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Lol at Burke helping the Canucks. He was the spearhead for the recapture penalty. He was jealous that Gillis won 2 president trophies while his best result in Vancouver was the 2nd round and he shit in bed when he was GM of Toronto. He pumped Jimbo's tires for years.

Last edited:

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Just wait untill JR trades Petey+Pearson for the ghost of Malkin.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I like that Chris Higgins is now the entire Player Development department. Not like PD has been a problem for the Canucks or anything. Stan Smyl and Ryan Johnson sure did quality work there.

View attachment 490032

Surely not an indication of Vancouver's player development process at all that basically every successful young player they've integrated in the Benning era was NHL-ready coming out of their junior/college/European program...

Reactions: Indiana and timw33

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I like that Chris Higgins is now the entire Player Development department. Not like PD has been a problem for the Canucks or anything. Stan Smyl and Ryan Johnson sure did quality work there.

View attachment 490032
Well, even developing a bunch of "meh" players will actually be a significant improvement on our previous player development, so I say go Chris.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Well, even developing a bunch of "meh" players will actually be a significant improvement on our previous player development, so I say go Chris.
Chris seems to have the qualities that would translate well into that role. Was drafted as a skilled prospect but adapted his game to become an effective versatile role player that still produced at a decent rate offensively. Great work ethic as well, he was always great at puck battles and playing along the boards.

I remember being surprised by his game when Gillis traded for him, didn’t expect him to be so well rounded.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I am a bit perplexed. Rutherford was hired 2 days ago, but the press conference won't be till Monday?
A bit strange for things to happen so slowly. I was surprised they didn't interview him between periods yesterday.

I don't really know what the procedure is for other teams but this is taking a bit longer than usual, right?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I am a bit perplexed. Rutherford was hired 2 days ago, but the press conference won't be till Monday?
A bit strange for things to happen so slowly. I was surprised they didn't interview him between periods yesterday.

I don't really know what the procedure is for other teams but this is taking a bit longer than usual, right?
To be fair, Rutherford is quite old, and there are a lot of stairs.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

not really. Jeff Gorton in MTL was 3 or 4 days later as I recall.

Reactions: WTG

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I believe it was mentioned at some point on the People's Show that Rutherford was sick, and he's waiting until he feels better to travel. Or something along those lines.

I agree, though, ownership could easily have had this all in place before even firing Benning. There is probably some credence to the fact this was an Aquilini family decision, and not a Francesco decision. That would also somewhat explain the weird press conference and series of events.

Reactions: Indiana

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I believe it was mentioned at some point on the People's Show that Rutherford was sick, and he's waiting until he feels better to travel. Or something along those lines.

I agree, though, ownership could easily have had this all in place before even firing Benning. There is probably some credence to the fact this was an Aquilini family decision, and not a Francesco decision. That would also somewhat explain the weird press conference and series of events.
Completely fair. Maybe I'm just being a little bit antsy wanting to know what the plan is.

Reactions: TruGr1t

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

You don’t need a Poho to be on the ground asap. Most of the work he is going to do is talk to people, hire people and figure out the direction of the club and all of that stuff takes time.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
His format for the letter reminds me of when Francesco tweeted a picture from the draft that was like FAQ.gif.pdf makes you wonder if anyone in the outgoing office (or remaining) has a basic understanding of Microsoft Word or similar programs.

20211211_150805.jpg

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
No mention of Smyl of FA.

Considering he mentions de Bonis and Stipec this is all Aquilini family stuff. None of these are really hockey people per say. They were the family representatives. Speaks again to some potential shifting power structure on that side of the business with Rutherford coming in. Maybe they have told Francesco he's moving back.

This probably also speaks to increased autonomy for Rutherford if he's the one responsible for these positions. Even going back to Gillis the GMs basically inherited these people from the Aquilinis.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad