Canucks hire Perry Pearn as assistant coach

John Bender*

Looks like Kuzma confirmed Gully was retained to look after the PP. Hopefully the rumors are true that Gully had little input last season. Cause the PP was hard to watch (among other things).

Hamhuis needs to stay away from pps.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I think they just want as many voices as possible testing what should be done to succedd,

His pedigree is nice, but yes this is definitely his last chance to do a good job.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I recall when Montreal let him go there was outrage among the hockey intelligentsia. It was near the end of Pierre Gauthier's run. If I recall, Pearn was widely respected around the league, and the notion that Gauthier could fix his team by gassing an assistant coach was obviously absurd.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
@BradZiemer·2 mins
Pearn says he is not expecting to be lead assistant with #Canucks. May in fact watch most games from up top.

I like that. Seems like a good role for what i know of Pearn..."eye in the sky" tactician sort of role. Obviously get a very different perspective from up in the booth.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I thought they hired John Weisbrod? That fulfills the Costanza quotient

Wouldn't Torts qualify as a Constanza? Italian, short, yells and screams a lot, invents reasons to avoid showing up for work...

Sure he got fired from the Canucks, but Costanza's bad deeds would inevitably lead to him getting fired. Just like Tortorella.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
@BradZiemer·2 mins
Pearn says he is not expecting to be lead assistant with #Canucks. May in fact watch most games from up top.

I like that. Seems like a good role for what i know of Pearn..."eye in the sky" tactician sort of role. Obviously get a very different perspective from up in the booth.

interesting hire..have we had hired anyone to this sort of assistant job?

Ventana*

I like this. Another good hockey mind. Pretty solid management group now. Let's hope it translates to the ice.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Pearn has been the sacrificial lamb for incompetent head coaches in his last two stops (Montreal, Winnipeg), so perhaps this may be a case of pre-emptive self-preservation? :sarcasm:

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Nhl.com lists 11 teams as having three assistant coaches. There are still 14 with two, and the Islanders have four.

I bet they're gonna make Gulutzan stand behind the bench doors with the equipment managers...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Pearn, a native of Stettler, Alberta, was fired by the Jets January 12, 2014,[1] after being hired in June 2012. Previously, he was an assistant with the Montreal Canadiens (2009–2011), New York Rangers (2004–2009), Ottawa Senators (1996–2004), and the original incarnation of the Winnipeg Jets (1995–1996). Pearn has also coached at the university and junior levels, including one season as head coach of the Medicine Hat Tigers of the Western Hockey League.[2][3] On August 11, 2014, he was hired as an assistant coach by the Vancouver Canucks.

Pearn served twice as an assistant coach with Canada's national junior team at the IIHF World Junior Championships (1990, 1991). As head coach, he led Canada to gold in 1993.

On plus side...
He was with the Sens thru their 'heyday' during the Alfy-Spezza-Heatley era.
He was with the Rangers during the Jagr years..
And with the Habs when they went on their remarkable run to the ECF..

So there's that...

Experience. Seen everything.
Will bode well if he really is a great communicator and good teacher. I have no idea of knowing for sure... but you don't hang around for 19 yrs coaching in the NHL if you don't have something solid to offer.

So I like the idea of the hire anyway...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad