Canucks hire Perry Pearn as assistant coach

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
3 Assistant Coaches isn't that rare, nearly half of the teams in the NHL have 3 Assistant Coaches. I think AV had 3 when he was Vancouver.

John Bender*

He obviously did outstanding work with the Jets last year. Should be an exceptional addition.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Who is this guy?, Need big time Knowledge.

Offensive guy? Defensive? Goalie? Nice or bad guy?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
3 Assistant Coaches isn't that rare, nearly half of the teams in the NHL have 3 Assistant Coaches. I think AV had 3 when he was Vancouver.
I agree, but most of the time, that third assistant coach is a video guy, like Daryl Williams was. We replaced him with this Ben Cooper guy, meaning that Pearn is, in fact, our fourth assistant coach. Is that still the norm?

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
fills out some of the seinfeld look-a-like hirings...

trevor linden - J Peterman

willie desjardins - soup nazi

jim benning - david puddy

doug lidster - jerry

glen gulutzan - kenny bania

perry pearn - crazy joe devola

still awaiting the hiring of george costanza, elaine benes, kramer and his best friend bob sacamano

it'll happen (not that there's anything wrong with that)

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe it means that Gully's on the way out? It's not like there was a strong endorsement from either side when Willie was hired.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
mcrukm.gif

Ok then

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
This may be a precursor to Gully getting released? Or maybe they are going to move Gully to another position?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I agree, but most of the time, that third assistant coach is a video guy, like Daryl Williams was. We replaced him with this Ben Cooper guy, meaning that Pearn is, in fact, our fourth assistant coach. Is that still the norm?

I don't believe the video guy being the 3rd assistant coach is the norm. I believe most teams have a dedicated video coach whether they have 2 or 3 assistant coaches as well.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Kuzma called this back in June.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Kuzma+Willie+Canucks+Pearn/9952421/story.html

Pearn has seen just about everything in the game, and gaining the respect of a veteran like Andrew Ladd or reaching the mercurial Evander Kane on some level was one of his strong suits. So was being a teacher and tactician for the Jets, who had the 10th-ranked penalty kill but only the 25th-ranked power play.

Sounds like a good relationship-building coaching quartet... though not sure where Gulutzan ends up.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 1m

Desjardins is retaining Gulutzan as an assistant on his coaching staff that now includes Pearn, Lidster and cooper. #canucks

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Just a wild guess:

Willie - HC
Lidster- Defence
Pearn - PK
Gully - PP
Cooper - Video

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
Just a wild guess:

Willie - HC
Lidster- Defence
Pearn - PK
Gully - PP
Cooper - Video

[Edit] Nvm, Gully will run the PK. Looks like PP duties will be shared amongst Willie/Pearn.

Desjardins confirms Pearn will be team's eye in the sky. Will also help him on power play, while Gulutzan handles PK. #Canucks

-B.Ziemer

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad