Friedman: Canucks give Brock Boeser's agent the permission to speak with other teams

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Am I the only one who finds this weird? Don’t.. don’t GMs shop for trades? I read this as “hey, you have permission to do my job for me. Work hard for your client, but if I don’t like the deal I say no and it’s all for nothing.” Vancouver should be trying to be move this dude, giving the agent permission to try is just.. I haven’t heard of that before, is it normal?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Reinhart 1 for 1? I like Reinhart but someone like boeser may be a more natural fit next to Barkov if we’re keeping tkachuk with Bennett. Pretty much the same contracts for both players. Not sure if they’re just looking to clear the cap space but conceivably could do the same with Reinhart. See if you like him and dump him the same way you would with boeser at the deadline. Probably not what vancouvers looking for but I thought he’d fit nicely here

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Reinhart 1 for 1? I like Reinhart but someone like boeser may be a more natural fit next to Barkov if we’re keeping tkachuk with Bennett. Pretty much the same contracts for both players. Not sure if they’re just looking to clear the cap space but conceivably could do the same with Reinhart. See if you like him and dump him the same way you would with boeser at the deadline. Probably not what vancouvers looking for but I thought he’d fit nicely here

To me Reinhart is clearly better player so Vancouver would have to add

Am I the only one who finds this weird? Don’t.. don’t GMs shop for trades? I read this as “hey, you have permission to do my job for me. Work hard for your client, but if I don’t like the deal I say no and it’s all for nothing.” Vancouver should be trying to be move this dude, giving the agent permission to try is just.. I haven’t heard of that before, is it normal?

At times this happen.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Your GM is one of the best ones. All it took was a second rounder from Tampa and Tampa accepting the Seabrook financial commitment. This also means Tampa has very generous ownership.

But make no mistake. Chicago deeply regrets that awful trade. Johnson was every bit the washed up albatross I said he was. Tampa hammered Chicago in this deal. Huge and lopsided trade in Tampas favor.

And it served as a lesson GMs aren’t making that mistake again today.

See Friedmans 32 thoughts today. He notes deals can’t be made because of lack of cap space.

So I was correct in that I knew Chicago lost that trade and said so. They got fleeced.

and now you’re not seeing those types of deals happen. Be happy you have a great GM and ownership.
björkstrand is a far better player than boeser and he got basically nothing of value back, as few teams were able to make the cap work in a short time frame.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

Allvin has more bargaining power if the other team feels good about their possibility to extend Boeser.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Their expiring RFAs are: Hoglander, Lockwood, Dermott and Bear.
Hoglander should potentially get $2 million, a 1 million increase, that's now 10 million.
Dermott when he played was solid and will probably get a small bump to 2 million, meaning 9.5 million left. Lockwood must be kept. Let's say he gets a 2-3 year extension to $1.25 million, that's 9 million.
Ethan Bear...can't say enough good things about him right now and they absolutely can not lose him which means he's getting a bump to $3 million 7.8 million left
What nonsense. Nils "doghouse" Hoglander, who just scored his 3rd goal of the year, who is erratic, at best, defensively is getting $2M ??? No chance, as of right now (which all we have to go off) he should take his qualifying offer and be happy. He's not even eligible for arbitration, not that it matters because no arbiter is giving him a raise anyway.

I shouldn't get into the rest, but do you even know if Dermott will ever play again? Will Lockwood "must be kept"? Holy shit! and Bear yeah we all like Bear but 3$M? He's basically a bottom pairing d-man who could fill in on the 2cnd pairing in a pinch- you don't pay those guys 3$M/yr unless........wait, is that you Jim Benning?

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
What nonsense. Nils "doghouse" Hoglander, who just scored his 3rd goal of the year, who is erratic, at best, defensively is getting $2M ??? No chance, as of right now (which all we have to go off) he should take his qualifying offer and be happy. He's not even eligible for arbitration, not that it matters because no arbiter is giving him a raise anyway.

I shouldn't get into the rest, but do you even know if Dermott will ever play again? Will Lockwood "must be kept"? Holy shit! and Bear yeah we all like Bear but 3$M? He's basically a bottom pairing d-man who could fill in on the 2cnd pairing in a pinch- you don't pay those guys 3$M/yr unless........wait, is that you Jim Benning?
So when ya go back and read the thread again you'll note very clearly VERY clearly where it says to retain the roster they have. The market increases every single year. Players get paid more every single year. Dermott is skating again. Rutherford is and has consistently giving young players bumps in his time as a manager over the decades to keep them happy and from moving on to other teams or going to arbitration.

So Ill give you the cliffnotes.

To RETAIN everyone on the roster in Vancouver now. The team will not have enough money. Period. Absolute period. That is 100% inarguable, but since there's always a chance you will want to try. Go ahead

Last edited:

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
To RETAIN everyone on the roster in Vancouver now. The team will not have enough money. Period. Absolute period. That is 100% inarguable, but since i know you're going to anyways. Go ahead
You are absolutely right. They would have to move some money to sign Bo and/or Kuz. The problem is you mentioned 4 guys who are almost, not completely, irrelevent to that process. Take a look at Hoglander's qualifying offer: Nils Höglander Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Not arbitration eligible. Look at his numbers. And you think he's getting 2$M ? Why? Our gm is a "nice guy"?
Will Lockwood is arbitration elegible. He's also not an nhl player. I too hope 1 day he can be. Even better if he's doing so next year it will be at league minimum salary. Heck he may even save us money, if we can jettison Pearson without taking back salary, and Lockwood takes his spot that's a some cap cleared.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
You are absolutely right. They would have to move some money to sign Bo and/or Kuz. The problem is you mentioned 4 guys who are almost, not completely, irrelevent to that process. Take a look at Hoglander's qualifying offer: Nils Höglander Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Not arbitration eligible. Look at his numbers. And you think he's getting 2$M ? Why? Our gm is a "nice guy"?
Will Lockwood is arbitration elegible. He's also not an nhl player. I too hope 1 day he can be. Even better if he's doing so next year it will be at league minimum salary. Heck he may even save us money, if we can jettison Pearson without taking back salary, and Lockwood takes his spot that's a some cap cleared.
We should buy Pearson out to save nearly 2m in cap next season. only costs us 916k the season after.

Reactions: BCNate

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
But now you're missing the meat of the rest of the post.

Once we start removing guys we don't/won't have the cap to replace them.

That's the issue of this team and organization. Having only drafted/developed 11 total players since 2006 that have played more than 200 games and consistently trading assets/picks has left the cupboards as bare as they were post 2012/2013.

If they can retain who they have but jettison [insert player name here] they don't have the depth and won't have the cap space to replace them. This is the caveat people are missing. This team needs a major overhaul if not a complete rebuild but asking GMs to take contracts they also can't afford without adding pieces to make them want to, or trying to fill those holes via free agency when every other GM is also trying to fill those same holes is not viable or feasible.

Alternatively we can continue the exact same model Benning committed to by taking cast offs and unwanted reclamation projects on the cheap and hope for the best. But, that's just not worked.

The writing is on the wall with what has to be done and it's been almost a decade in the making.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Friedman mentions that Washington is interested in Boeser and that the Caps have shown interest in Boeser for multiple seasons now.

Feb 19, 2018
They would have to add to Mantha, I actually see Orlov for Boeser incoming. Maybe something bigger like

Van: Mantha, Orlov

Wash: Boeser, Myers

I’ve heard rumblings this year about all 4 players potentially being on the move.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucker101

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They would have to add to Mantha, I actually see Orlov for Boeser incoming. Maybe something bigger like

Van: Mantha, Orlov

Wash: Boeser, Myers

I’ve heard rumblings this year about all 4 players potentially being on the move.
This is disgusting for Wsh. The Capitals keep both their players easily; one for Contract reasons (Mantha) one for talent and utility (Orlov).

Myers is done and overpaid, you won’t trade him and net positive value. Orlov is a much, much more valuable player.

Boeser is a depreciating asset, Mantha ain’t much but at least his Contract is cheaper and over sooner.

Back to the drawing board.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
björkstrand is a far better player than boeser and he got basically nothing of value back, as few teams were able to make the cap work in a short time frame.
no hes not

I would do it.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Lucic for Boeser and a 2nd would be my best offer. It's actually an overpay despite it not looking that way at first glance. We will need that 2nd to move him in the offseason and will likely have to add another 2nd to it. So basically we'd be paying a 2nd to rent Boeser for this season.

Boeser does produce offense at a 2nd line rate, but he defends like a 4th line AHLer. Calgary is one of the few teams with enough 2 way forwards to shelter him.

If this isn’t a troll post, then it’s just sad someone with the capacity to type has such a poor understanding of basically …. Everything? (Lucic is god awful. No one would take him unless a 1st is attached. Boeser isn’t bad.)

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I know, it seems weird. From my understanding the Canucks are willing to accept a shorter term cap dump like Lucic, but aren't willing to add a sweetner. Whether that means we won't give you any prospect or pick or just means no 1st or top prospect I don't know. I'd imagine the agent was given parameters.

Your understanding is godawful.

Lucic is the biggest sandbag in the league. Guy looks like he’s skating in mud. Do yourself a favour and as much as you desperately want to lose him, just don’t bother bringing him up on any hypothetical trade discussion. No one, regardless of their player or situation, will ever trade for Lucic.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The end of your post answers your question.

Lucic is not a good player. He's too tough so no one will fight him. He throws the odd big hit, but is otherwise useless.

What Canuck fans don't appear to understand is Boeser doesn't help you win unless you can shelter him heavily. He's basically Mike Hoffman. Relative to his cap hit he is useless too. A bottom feeding club was going to healthy scratch him and insert a player who would be playing third line for the Calgary Wranglers.

Dumping cap is expensive. Just ask teams that have done it. Everyone knows what Boeser is at this point. You could have moved him for value 2 years ago, but not today. It's the same thing that happened to us with Monahan.

What you don’t understand, but keep trying to tell the people that actually watch him, you’re wrong. You have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re repeating the same drivel that’s been posted by others as fact without looking at context or history.

“wHat cAnUcK fAns DoN’T uNdErStaNd…”

From a guy applying Lucic to a trade. Lmao… you can’t make this shit up.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad