GDT: Canucks Free Agent Frenzy - Part III

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Del Zotto has turned into a major project. He had one good year and has since become a liability on two NHL teams. He has talent, but his game is so out in left field it's a gamble he'll ever get it back.
If Del Zotto can't thrive playing D on the Preds, he's not a guy I'd want to look at.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Oh, man. I had a dream that some other team signed Tanev to a 1 year 600k contract. He signed for so low just to stick it to the Canucks. Can teams even offer that low of a contract? :cry:

That would be great for the Canucks, as Tanev is an RFA and the Canucks would have the option to match any offer sheet.

So if he did this, we could match and have Tanev for $600k. Not really "sticking it to the Canucks."

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Maybe Horvat makes the team and Vey is moved to wing? I know it's asking for a lot, but Sean Couturier did a very good job at being Philly "shutdown centre" in his rookie year.

Its a possibility. I'm very interested to see how Bo looks in camp. I think its possible for him and Vey to work on a 3rd line.

Bo and Ben Hutton are the two guys I'm keying in on. I hope to god Canucks management does everything they can to convince Hutts its time to go pro.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Why is there no love for the one and only, Sawyer Hannay around here?

Not a single projected lineup with him in it...good riddance.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I'm curious to see how Shinkaruk plays in camp. Remember he was the last cut from the team last year.

There's definitely an opportunity on the 2LW for him to steal.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I'm curious to see how Shinkaruk plays in camp. Remember he was the last cut from the team last year.

There's definitely an opportunity on the 2LW for him to steal.

But he's coming off a shortened season due to injury. Making the jump from junior to NHL all the while not having played in forever is probably going to take that spot away.

skg

Jul 29, 2005
If Del Zotto can't thrive playing D on the Preds, he's not a guy I'd want to look at.

I would definitely give MDZ a shot. Just too much talent to ignore. He's a playmaking defenceman and given the freedom, he could regain form. I believe Nashville's rigid system stifled his creativity. Worth a look if he comes cheap.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I would definitely give MDZ a shot. Just too much talent to ignore. He's a playmaking defenceman and given the freedom, he could regain form. I believe Nashville's rigid system stifled his creativity. Worth a look if he comes cheap.

I'd be interested, but chances are he'd come at the expense of a Hansen, in order to keep under the cap. Our defensive depth would be:

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Stanton Del Zotto
Sbisa
Weber
Corrado

Corrado would be in Utica, but I'm not sure the Canucks will carry 2 extra D. Depends on how much Tanev signs for too, or if he needs to be moved away.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I'd be interested, but chances are he'd come at the expense of a Hansen, in order to keep under the cap. Our defensive depth would be:

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Stanton Del Zotto
Sbisa
Weber
Corrado

Corrado would be in Utica, but I'm not sure the Canucks will carry 2 extra D. Depends on how much Tanev signs for too, or if he needs to be moved away.

It's more likely, in that case, that we would dump Sbisa for cap space rather than Hansen.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Its a possibility. I'm very interested to see how Bo looks in camp. I think its possible for him and Vey to work on a 3rd line.

Bo and Ben Hutton are the two guys I'm keying in on. I hope to god Canucks management does everything they can to convince Hutts its time to go pro.

Would absolutely love to see Horvat and Vey on the 3rd line together.

Vey - Horvat - Kassian

Solid young 3rd line imo.

Also, here's some highlights of BoHo from this past playoffs. Not sure if it'll give you a sense of where his game is at relative to the NHL game, but it may for you.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Would absolutely love to see Horvat and Vey on the 3rd line together.

Vey - Horvat - Kassian

Solid young 3rd line imo.

Also, here's some highlights of BoHo from this past playoffs. Not sure if it'll give you a sense of where his game is at relative to the NHL game, but it may for you.

But a second line of Burrows, Bonino, Higgins? Not so sure about that.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I'm somewhat resigned that this team is going to be a 1st-3rd-3rd-4th line team. No matter what combination these players line-up.

Our depth is definitely better which will help us roll four lines. But the two thirds are definitely going to need to score by committee. Hopefully this means the teams plays a more up-tempo game and tries to wear the opposition down.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm somewhat resigned that this team is going to be a 1st-3rd-3rd-4th line team. No matter what combination these players line-up.

Our depth is definitely better which will help us roll four lines. But the two thirds are definitely going to need to score by committee. Hopefully this means the teams plays a more up-tempo game and tries to wear the opposition down.

Fair enough. But if Horvat makes the team, and it is something I'd like to see, won't another forward have to get dealt?

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Bonino Burrows
Vey Horvat Kassian
Matthias Richardson Hansen
Dorsett, Sestito
Jensen (Utica)

That is one 1st line and three 3rd lines.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Fair enough. But if Horvat makes the team, and it is something I'd like to see, won't another forward have to get dealt?

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Bonino Burrows
Vey Horvat Kassian
Matthias Richardson Hansen
Dorsett, Sestito
Jensen (Utica)

That is one 1st line and three 3rd lines.

Yeah...change came.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Putting Burrows and Higgins on Bonino's wings may be a way to keep Bonino's head above water if he gets some of Kesler's tougher minutes

It's a very, very solid third line. But as a second line, it lacks punch. And if Vey, Horvat, Kassian is another line, you really don't want them lining up against any dangerous opposition.

But back to free agency...

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

It would still have some scoring potential, but it would also be a good defensive matchup against top lines, imo. Higgins and Hansen are both decent defensively and we'd have to see how well Bonino is at that.

Who knows, maybe Vey - Horvat - Kassian, outscores Higgins - Bonino - Burrow.

For me, it would be best if those two hypothetical lines were able to both chip in to assist the 1st line's offence, but that's how most teams would prefer it obviously.

Putting Burrows and Higgins on Bonino's wings may be a way to keep Bonino's head above water if he gets some of Kesler's tougher minutes

True, and it's not a bad looking line either...on paper.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
It's a very, very solid third line. But as a second line, it lacks punch. And if Vey, Horvat, Kassian is another line, you really don't want them lining up against any dangerous opposition.

But back to free agency...

Maybe another FA would be a good way to help that 2nd line in scoring if need be.

We would most likely have to move Burr, Hansen, or Higgins, if BoHo, Vey and Kass are to play together on the 3rd as a unit.

Could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad