Pre-Game Talk: Canucks @ Flames. Wednesday. SNET. 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Ewww I don't like the idea of splitting up Edler and Tanev.

I actually like the idea of Hutton and Tanev together, if it didn't mean Edler and Sbisa. Oh the pizzas those two will deliver.

I feel like Willie is trying to ice 3 balanced pairings here with no real #1 pairing.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I wouldn't say I'm excited, I'm just not uninterested anymore with the addition of the rookie trio. I'm glad that at least one of the useless pieces was waived, but it's still frustrating to see guys like Miller, Prust, and Sbisa play most games when we could have better, younger players and more cap space. :\

I wonder how long Edler-Sbisa will last. That's destined for failure.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The trio of rookies is seriously great PR and will get fans back into the game. Torts was right, it was getting stale.

But what I like most was that each 3 of those kids absolutely deserved to be there. So it is based on merit and not JUST a PR move.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
The trio of rookies is seriously great PR and will get fans back into the game. Torts was right, it was getting stale.

But what I like most was that each 3 of those kids absolutely deserved to be there. So it is based on merit and not JUST a PR move.

Who cares ? They'd never do anything from an on-ice situation as a PR move anyway.

Wins get fans back into the game.

Sutter with the Sedins is an abomination and wastes almost every reason we had for getting Sutter. Wastes his defensive game, makes his speed mostly useless as the Sedins don't need it .. .. he's going to destroy that line and it's stupid.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Who cares ? They'd never do anything from an on-ice situation as a PR move anyway.

Wins get fans back into the game.

Sutter with the Sedins is an abomination and wastes almost every reason we had for getting Sutter. Wastes his defensive game, makes his speed mostly useless as the Sedins don't need it .. .. he's going to destroy that line and it's stupid.

I'm not a huge fan of Sedins+Sutter, but it could work out -- Sutter has the speed to get in on the forecheck and a good shot to keep teams from collapsing too much against the Sedins. I don't think it hurts to try it out -- and maybe playing with better players will help Sutter defer a bit more to his teammates. Sutter isn't gritty or a grinder, but he's not awful at playing a cycle game and can finish.

I also don't see how it wastes his defensive game, as the Sedins match up against top lines and having Sutter out there will help on that front.

We also know what we have in Burrows/Vrbata as secondary options if it doesn't work out.

On the bright side Burrows-McCann-Hansen and Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata look like good lines.

IMO, this is the right time of the year to be trying out different combinations. It's hard to know what you've got until you see it in action.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

Beyond what the fans think, I think having that much youth on the roster will create a lot of excitement in the locker room.

Beyond the rookies, we have Horvat and Baertschi who are also young players who bring (or should bring) a lot of emotion.

We also have Prust/Cracknell/Dorsett, who should also be bringing that kind of emotion every game (to be seen) -- I think we could have a much more exciting on ice product this year (similar to what the Flames had last year). And if that is the case and we get good seasons out of our veterans, I think it will be a pretty fun season.

The anchor contracts that we have probably limit us from being more than a fringe playoff team (Miller, Sbisa, Prust+Dorsett, no 1RW)..but at least we should see some inspired hockey.

zevo

Feb 1, 2015
Expect fights. Lot's of them. Prust dorsett cracknell

The real question is does the ref have to send Hamhuis in again to prevent Dorsett from getting his block knocked off?

:)
1297689685311_ORIGINAL.jpg

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I wouldn't say I'm excited, I'm just not uninterested anymore with the addition of the rookie trio. I'm glad that at least one of the useless pieces was waived, but it's still frustrating to see guys like Miller, Prust, and Sbisa play most games when we could have better, younger players and more cap space. :\

I wonder how long Edler-Sbisa will last. That's destined for failure.
I'll be happy all season just watching McCann and Horvat score goals.
I don't really care where we finish in the standings.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett
Virtanen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Sbisa
Weber

Edler back with Tanev! Virtanen still odd man out...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sutter with the Sedins... fun. Virtanen sticks around just to sit out the first game in favour of Prust. Kill me now.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
This isnt 2009.

18 million dollar line is pretty normal for a line that if played together all season would probably put up close to 180-200 points

you're right, 90 points for each sedin, 10-20 points for sutter

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett
Virtanen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Sbisa
Weber

Edler back with Tanev! Virtanen still odd man out...

I like it but I wasn't expecting Virtanen to get in anyway.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
The one day I have evening classes damn it... Couldn't it wait until Thursday?

I expect very good analysis from everyone tonight to make up for it. :D

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I'm going to wait and watch Prust for a chunk of the season before claiming he doesn't have a place on the team. All we've seen is preseason, which doesn't mean that much to me where veterans are concerned.

It isn't as though Virtanen is so great he should be in every game. Guy is a pretty sloppy player, from what I've seen, and maybe could use the extra practice time.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well, at least Edler/Tanev are back together today...the idea of breaking them up to try to find someone to cover Sbisa's brain cramps was giving me heart burn.

Chagrined that Virtanen has to sit in favour of a tree trunk, but his chance will come. Excited to see McCann and Hutton in their first games, and to see what that line of Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata can do, especially now that the games matter to Vrbata.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Sutter with the Sedins... fun. Virtanen sticks around just to sit out the first game in favour of Prust. Kill me now.

A little melodramatic....

I think this is as good as we could have hoped for over the last 2 months.

The young guys are getting a chance, and if Sedins-Sutter doesn't work, they'll probably make that change pretty quickly (maybe not. I'm probably being a bit too optimistic about WD's coaching).

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
A little melodramatic....

I think this is as good as we could have hoped for over the last 2 months.

The young guys are getting a chance, and if Sedins-Sutter doesn't work, they'll probably make that change pretty quickly (maybe not. I'm probably being a bit too optimistic about WD's coaching).

Oh just a tad

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
What I cannot understand is that WHY does WD insists on playing Vrbata away from the twins????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad