GDT: Canucks @ Flames October 5, 2019 (8:00 pm MT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2010
Other than BSD, Flames look like trash in the second half of the game
Offence isn't everything.

At no point did I feel like Calgary's defence truly broke down. Rittich saw pucks, defence blocked lanes and tied up the Vancouver offence.

Vancouver did not produce many high danger chances whatsoever even though the Flames endured penalty kill after penalty kill.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Alright, just got out. Rittich was great, really starting to remove question marks imo. First two periods were good, but they really bent in the third.

Flames NEED to stop taking penalties. Jesus Christ just way too undisciplined. Also hope the depth starts showing up, because it has really been thin outside of line 1.

Reactions: DFF

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Went to this one.

Pretty whatever game for the most part. Flames were decent especially defensively, but took too many penalties. Rittich was very very solid. Flames might have found a gem with him.

Canucks were trash. Just a bad team full of bad players. No idea what Benning's vision is but if that's it they're going to be awful for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofveve

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Top line looks awesome. Bring back purple gato pls. And bring back the depth scoring while you’re at it.

Second line was weak tonight. Frolik got bumped down to the fourth early on. Mangiapane was good enough in his place but not really a difference maker. Tkachuk still looks like he’s shaking off rust. At least Backlund looks good though.

Third and fourth lines were okay. I thought Jankowski looked much better than the other night. Bennett came to play too, he was trying his best to make stuff happen. Rieder, Frolik, and Ryan were barely noticeable. Lucic got the crowd going a few times.

Rittich, not much to say. He was dialed in early. The team didn’t make it easy for him with the penalties.

Good game overall. Sharpen up the details and get two more points on Tuesday.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but the Canucks don’t have firsts in either of the next 2 drafts right?

edit: I’m wrong, they have a conditional first given to TB next year (will either be 2020 or 2021). That is not a team destined for the playoffs IMO.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Not sure if it has been brought up ('cause I wasn't in the thread 'til now), but Hanifin put on some muscle in the off season because he has been way more physical this year. This game especially he was throwing his body around and he has looked phenomenal.

Top line is still one of the best in hockey, only a time before the depth starts chipping in as well.

I also expect the penalties to stop under Peters, he'll be having none of that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Top line looks awesome. Bring back purple gato pls. And bring back the depth scoring while you’re at it.

Second line was weak tonight. Frolik got bumped down to the fourth early on. Mangiapane was good enough in his place but not really a difference maker. Tkachuk still looks like he’s shaking off rust. At least Backlund looks good though.

Third and fourth lines were okay. I thought Jankowski looked much better than the other night. Bennett came to play too, he was trying his best to make stuff happen. Rieder, Frolik, and Ryan were barely noticeable. Lucic got the crowd going a few times.

Rittich, not much to say. He was dialed in early. The team didn’t make it easy for him with the penalties.

Good game overall. Sharpen up the details and get two more points on Tuesday.
I agreed with most of what you said. The bottom six didn't really get into the game because of all the penalties. But when they were on the ice, I thought Rieder looked pretty good. Felt bad for Bennett in this one. They should just throw him out on the PK rather than keeping him on the bench for 10+ minutes.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Offence isn't everything.

At no point did I feel like Calgary's defence truly broke down. Rittich saw pucks, defence blocked lanes and tied up the Vancouver offence.

Vancouver did not produce many high danger chances whatsoever even though the Flames endured penalty kill after penalty kill.

Yeah, I heard on the radio that "official" high danger chances were 8-8 in the game. The Flames fought hard in the defensive end, and only broke down a few times. They did appear to get steamrolled in the third mostly because they had to kill penalties for pretty much the entire first half of it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To me Bennett looks smoother on the ice this year. Previous years he would try to do it all by himself and the play would die on his stick... trying too hard perhaps? This year he just looks more in control.
Love to see Rittich dialed in. Great game for him. I was disappointed in the 2 penalties that Lucic took. JG was JG. What more can you say about Johnny Hockey. I liked what I saw from Mony. Kylington played well. I hope he scores 10+ goals this year.
Elias Pettersen seems like he's come back down to earth. Last year I would get nervous every time he touched the puck.

Reactions: DFF

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Great game and great win. The one that needs to happen is, that we need that 2nd and 3rd line going. We cannot and I repeat we cannot rely too much on our top line to do all the scoring.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
One thing that stands out with Lucic this season is he doesn't struggle to gain either blue line. Older power forwards we've had before would get hemmed in our own end but Lucic in both games gets the puck out to a position the Flames can contest it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lindholm looked good, proving last year was not a fluke. That's very important
Monahan proves again he can play in October
Johnny is the offense for this team, whoever think otherwise is delusional
Tkachuk is rusty. Same with Backlund
Frolik is going to have to look for PTO next year.
2nd line has not been good.

3rd/4th lines were alright. Hopefully Bennett and Ryan can click

Defense was alright and Rittich looks great.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think the 2nd PP unit should have look like:
Andersson
Mangiapane Ryan
Bennett/Backlund
Lucic/Bennett

Basically I think Mangiapane's shot and ability to get one timers off could be really useful.

I wouldn’t hate it if they ran an overload instead of an umbrella either. Throw Hanifin out with Andersson and just throw everything at the net with bodies in front

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I missed the game. Good to get the win and all but did lines 2-4 generate anything at all? Didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad