Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
idea.

Nicholson as presedent, Linden as VP.

Naslund as GM, Bure as assistant GM.

Boom

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
Admittedly for a selfish reason. I'm currently working full time in a country with a 16 hour time difference with Vancouver. Regular season has been quite meaningless to me since I haven't been able to watch any games.

Anyway, the timing of this is really poor. Sakic and Roy were both hired after their team has acquired multiple top 3 picks.

my time difference is 11 hours and i still make time to watch the bloody games

i think that's a bare minimum investment if you want to make calls about the direction of the club. being a consumer of the product, that is.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Let's look at one sample ten years back of junior Playoff scoring...

In 2004, here are the Top ten playoff scorers in the OHL:

1 Ryan Callahan
2 Brett Trudell
3 Patrick O'Sullivan
4 Kevin Klein
5 Geoff Platt
6 Daniel Paille
7 Rick Steadman
8 Jakub Koreis
9 Matt Ryan
10 Martin St. Pierre

WHL:

1 Darren Reid
2 Chris St. Jacques
3 Randall Gelech
4 Erik Christensen
5 Clarke MacArthur
6 Ryan Kinasewich
7 Troy Bodie
8 Stefan Meyer
9 Marc Desloges
10 Ashton Rome

I couldnt find the stats for the QMJHL....

But a decade later, only about 2 out of these 20 are top 6 NHL players and maybe 3 are players worth getting excited about.

It's a good point but that's not really a fair comparison though as the top scorers really end up being from the two finalist teams as they play far most games. The scorers at the end of the first round gives some idea although obviously Fox and Gaunce and Horvat benefit from being on deep teams. Of note is that Gaunce and Horvat were in the top 10 last year as well.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I don't know why, but whenever I see posters saying stuff like "It's about time!" and "This is awesome!", I hear these posts in a southern accent with sounds of tobacco being chewed in the background.

it digusted some fans are celebrating when it just get worse from here on out.......some haters just hate certain players so they hope the new GM get rid of them

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Good GMs are good GMs because they surround themselves with good people, Linden IMO is/ was the model Canuck.

He isn't completely oblivious.

bo2shink*

Purely out of curiosity, in what ways does being the president of hockey canada qualify you a good president of an NHL team? What were his responsibilities? What are the common responsibilities between running hockey canada and the canucks?

My instinct is that overseeing a fantasy squad of the country's best players is much different than an NHL team.

Contacts, credibility, etc, etc.....

Or maybe he signs all of Team Canada?

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Gillis was a fantastic general manager who instilled so much more than just a roster on paper.
He set this franchise up for the next GM nicely.
Made a few blunders, some pretty serious ones. For the most part, he mitigated these blunders pretty well.
We'll never know the true details of what went on behind the scenes, I don't think.

Personally, knew this was inevitable, but still sad to see him go.
Great GM.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hope we get Nicholson. Other GM's respect him and bring credibility back to Van. It would be easier to make trades and sign free agents.

Kind of like Toronto and the way people respect Nonis?
I don't see that as much of a big deal in attracting free agents. Gillis was probably the best at that of any of our GM's.

bo2shink*

Gillis was a fantastic general manager who instilled so much more than just a roster on paper.
He set this franchise up for the next GM nicely.
Made a few blunders, some pretty serious ones. For the most part, he mitigated these blunders pretty well.
We'll never know the true details of what went on behind the scenes, I don't think.

Personally, knew this was inevitable, but still sad to see him go.
Great GM.

I think great is a bit strong, but he certainly did things that made a difference beyond the roster. He is currently suffering so much hate because he was unlikable and hard to look at.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
my time difference is 11 hours and i still make time to watch the bloody games

i think that's a bare minimum investment if you want to make calls about the direction of the club. being a consumer of the product, that is.

Yeah, and I have to work my job during game hours to pay my rent and bills.

So there's that.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Good GMs are good GMs because they surround themselves with good people, Linden IMO is/ was the model Canuck.

He isn't completely oblivious.

So is Linden going to surround himself with good talent evaluators because he's never had to do it himself? If so, whats the point to him as GM?

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I think great is a bit strong, but he certainly did things that made a difference beyond the roster. He is currently suffering so much hate because he was unlikable and hard to look at.

He also won 1 playoff game in three years, that might be where some of the ''hate'' comes from. In addition, we were despised around the league, with the media, he had public battles with a goalie and a young center during his time here, so not all his off ice moves were great.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
idea.

Nicholson as presedent, Linden as VP.

Naslund as GM, Bure as assistant GM.

Boom

Wow, it's like you just listed the players who had their numbers retired by our franchise.

They were good at hockey, surely they're good at the other side of hockey. Just like when Gretzky won the Jack Adams

Boom

bo2shink*

He also won 1 playoff game in three years, that might be where some of the ''hate'' comes from. In addition, we were despised around the league, with the media, he had public battles with a goalie and a young center during his time here, so not all his off ice moves were great.

Probably should have dumped the great core he inherited after 2011, they were useless in the playoffs after SJ.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Needs to be Linden as Presendent / figurehead.

With Bob Nicholson as GM.

Linden is okay as long as he hires someone with a ton of experience.

Clearly the reputation of the Canucks has been greatly damaged by the the actions of Gillis. Bringing in Linden as Pres would repair the image of the Canucks around the city which they desperately need to do.

Who ever the GM is has to know the intricacies of the NHL, no break in period. This summer is possibly the most important in franchise history. High draft pick while core trades are imminent. The Canucks cannot afford to get fleeced.

Clearly ?

I think it's more clear this city is full of fans (and media) who overreact, are completely spoiled and rationalize the right to complain with ridiculously unrealistic views.

Scapegoats and pitchforks may was well be the new logo.

We're a couple years removed from the SCFs and apparently we're the worst team in the league. Oh, how quickly people forget.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
The rapid decline from one of the better teams in the league is somewhat mind boggling? Boston continues to be one of the better teams, if not the best team, in the league. Yet the Canucks have absolutely fallen off a cliff - why is that?

Here's a hint (Mike Gillis)

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Wow, it's like you just listed the players who had their numbers retired by our franchise.

They were good at hockey, surely they're good at the other side of hockey. Just like when Gretzky won the Jack Adams

Boom

I forgot to add in Gino Odjick in some capacity. Where does he fit?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's a good point but that's not really a fair comparison though as the top scorers really end up being from the two finalist teams as they play far most games. The scorers at the end of the first round gives some idea although obviously Fox and Gaunce and Horvat benefit from being on deep teams. Of note is that Gaunce and Horvat were in the top 10 last year as well.

Also the entire draft class of 2007 out of six players showed zero signs of improvement or promise in their various leagues through the 07-08 season and beyond. 2006 class was a little better as Grabner, Shirokov, and Juraj Simek were looking okay, with Rahimi and Fuller doing nothing. By that measuring stick which can be used right now, the above drafts were 3/5 and 0/6, while the 2012 and 2013 drafts are 3/5 and 5/7. You never know what can happen with draft picks, but much like advanced stats such as CORSI that sort of record should lead to greater success in the long run.

bo2shink*

The rapid decline from one of the better teams in the league is somewhat mind boggling? Boston continues to be one of the better teams, if not the best team, in the league. Yet the Canucks have absolutely fallen off a cliff - why is that?

Here's a hint (Mike Gillis)

You think it's that simple?

Ken Holland sucks too, what have they done lately?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I'm not crying over the decision to fire Gillis. I think he sealed his fate when bungling the Luongo/Schneider situation. With that said though, it's an alarming precedent that we feel the need to fire our GM every time we miss the playoffs. I'm not sure who would want to take that job at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad