Confirmed with Link: Canucks fire GM/President Mike Gillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
The rapid decline from one of the better teams in the league is somewhat mind boggling? Boston continues to be one of the better teams, if not the best team, in the league. Yet the Canucks have absolutely fallen off a cliff - why is that?

Here's a hint (Mike Gillis)

A rapid decline in a team would point more towards a coaching problem than a GM problem. The effect a GM has on an organization would be more long term (except for a major trade). Either that or just horrible luck and a perfect storm of injuries.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
The rapid decline from one of the better teams in the league is somewhat mind boggling? Boston continues to be one of the better teams, if not the best team, in the league. Yet the Canucks have absolutely fallen off a cliff - why is that?

I wish things were this simple.

bo2shink*

I'm not crying over the decision to fire Gillis. I think he sealed his fate when bungling the Luongo/Schneider situation. With that said though, it's an alarming precedent that we feel the need to fire our GM every time we miss the playoffs. I'm not sure who would want to take that job at this point.

3 year deal, get fired next April.

I'll take it!!!!

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
You think it's that simple?

Ken Holland sucks too, what have they done lately?

I think the Canucks were in a position to contend for the cup for 4-6 years (starting in 09/10). The last three years have been a terrible waste of what should have been some of the prime years of our cup contention. That has to fall on the coach (already fired, a year too late, imo) and the GM.

Gillis was a good GM... but this team needed to be more competitive in the playoffs over the last three years.

He failed to idnetify and fix the scoring issues that we had, which were covered up by some great seasons by the Sedins.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Because when Boston became an elite team their core forwards were in their early to mid 20s. In 10-11 Lucic and Marchand were 22 while Krejci and Bergeron were 25. That same year the Sedins were 30 while Kesler and Burrows were 26 and 29. Are you honestly surprised why one team had a longer lasting window from that point onwards than the other? I mean, seriously?

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
The Linden part is completely insane. Sorry Linden won't be the GM. I could see Nicholson as President and Linden as vice president. Together they can hire the gm. Linden needs more experience before given the full GM position.

or special assistant to the gm or intern gm. However it plays out. allows him to het his feet wet before taking on such big roll.

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
If only Gillis had traded a flailing backup goalie for a future #1, and then traded an unaffordable young RFA forward for consecutive top 10 picks, including a #2 overall. Then he would've given the team just as much longevity as Boston. Clearly a huge failure on Gillis' part.

bo2shink*

Because when Boston became an elite team their core forwards were in their early to mid 20s. In 10-11 Lucic and Marchand were 22 while Krejci and Bergeron were 25. That same year the Sedins were 30 while Kesler and Burrows were 26 and 29. Are you honestly surprised why one team had a longer lasting window from that point onwards than the other? I mean, seriously?

They also had some pretty good goaltending and a pretty good #1 dman.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
You think it's that simple?

Ken Holland sucks too, what have they done lately?

Who else is responsible for the on-ice performance/performance? Kesler has been playing with third liners for years now, we have no depth, we have very few prospects worth mentioning, we have no push from the farm system, we had two of the best tenders in the league and now we have a guy with what 50 NHL games to his credit, we have nine players with no trade clauses and he's yet to re-tool the club.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
A rapid decline in a team would point more towards a coaching problem than a GM problem. The effect a GM has on an organization would be more long term (except for a major trade). Either that or just horrible luck and a perfect storm of injuries.

Who hired the coach? Gillis did.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
For me it's too simplistic to say Gillis was a bad GM or Gillis was a good GM, for me it's a tale of two Gillis'. He completely lost the plot after the Finals. I've posted my complaints of Gillis since the Finals a thousand times so I won't repeat them, but I think this firing was well earned.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Purely out of curiosity, in what ways does being the president of hockey canada qualify you a good president of an NHL team? What were his responsibilities? What are the common responsibilities between running hockey canada and the canucks?

My instinct is that overseeing a fantasy squad of the country's best players is much different than an NHL team.

this:
As President and CEO of Hockey Canada, Nicholson oversees hockey development programs both nationally and internationally, high performance programs and communications. He manages all operations for competitions that Canada participates in internationally, including the IIHF World Junior Championship, IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship and Olympic Winter Games

Development = key word for me.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Hearing Mike Gillis neck beard is replacing Mike Gillis as GM.

unconfirmed still.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm sure people thought the idea of naming a backup goalie GM was insane too but it happened. Never underestimate what can happen with a stubborn and meddlesome owner.
this..

At this point I'm of the opinion that anything could happen .

Did the aquilinis veto a Ryan Kesler trade? At this point I'm thinking the rumours out of Pittsburgh were true.

bo2shink*

Who else is responsible for the on-ice performance/performance? Kesler has been playing with third liners for years now, we have no depth, we have very few prospects worth mentioning, we have no push from the farm system, we had two of the best tenders in the league and now we have a guy with what 50 NHL games to his credit, we have nine players with no trade clauses and he's yet to re-tool the club.

Sometimes it's the players that are responsible for the on ice performance.

Your post was such a ridiculous over simplification it's hard to actually even discuss it.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 1m
Hockey News Ken Campbell is coming up on #TEAM1040 to talk about possibility of Bob Nicholson as President, Trevor Linden as GM. #Canucks

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island

Then trade them to retool the club. Don't sign them (Sedins) to four year extensions for 7 million dollars a piece. Get some top six players to add to the group, he's done nothing for two years, he needed to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad