Confirmed with Link: Canucks fire GM Jim Benning, AGM John Weisbrod

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pretty much. I think y2k said it best in that who the next GM is will show us just how much change is coming or not. None of the mentioned possible GMs are puppets and aren't likely to take a job where they'll have strings attached to their arms being pulled by the owner.

Anything is better than Benning. I don't know how he managed to get a GM job in the first place. How does an owner interview that man and walk away thinking he's your guy? He was clearly a puppet because he certainly doesn't have what it takes to be an exec.

It was a perfect storm for an incompetent hire, I think.

- they were looking for the anti-Gillis, and .... uh ... Benning is definitely that.
- owner was enamoured with Boston and the BIGTOUGH game they played to beat us in 2011.
- newbie President Linden was blown away that Benning could remember individual goals scored by junior players that year, something that wasn't remarkable at all.
- there was a huge over-focus on drafting and Benning seemed to have the resume to fit that over-focus.

And that's how a moron gets hired.

It's a shame Bob Murray has such large drinking/anger issues as he is actually a competent hockey person.

He's also 67 years old. You'd have to think his career is over outside of a consultant job or something like that.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's perfect.

The new GM will want to hire his own coach anyway. Boudreau is a billion years old, but he can probably do some good for the team in the short term and if the new GM doesn't like him, whatever his contract only runs through next season anyway, and he can go back to knitting or whatever he's been doing. It's the perfect thing to do. It makes perfect sense.

He hasn't been knitting. He owns 2 hockey teams, the Minnesota Blue Ox and the Hershey Cubs both of the United States Premier Hockey League.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My two picks as GM would be Eric Tulsky or George McPhee...complete polar opposites in style..One is an analytics wizard, and the other a shrewd GM in the more traditional sense...Both have demonstrated great results.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
My two picks as GM would be Eric Tulsky or George McPhee...complete polar opposites in style..One is an analytics wizard, and the other a shrewd GM in the more traditional sense...Both have demonstrated great results.
I’d be cool with both, especially Tulsky but I doubt either will come work here

Reactions: vanuck and MarkMM

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
He's also 67 years old. You'd have to think his career is over outside of a consultant job or something like that.

Fair. His name just popped into my head as a recently jobless GM.

I am interested to see if they look for new blood in the GM role or go to an oldie.

I'm also interested to see how all of this is interpreted, if they will allow a proper re-build or if they are going to somehow attempt to be a playoff team in the next few years.

It's pretty clear they aren't close now and the pool is bare. The "plus" side is there are some good, young, players on the big club but they need so many changes to augment them that I cannot see a true contender anytime soon.

Reactions: MikeK

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I think Anaheim’s scouting department made him look better than he really is. I would kill to have their scouting staff in Vancouver

Murray came out from being a scout for the Nucks though, then left the Nucks with Burke as a scout for the Ducks before taking over as GM.

***EDIT: Sorry, wrong about this. I thought he moved from the Nucks position to scouting for the Ducks but he actually moved into "VP of Hockey Operations" in 2005 for the Ducks.

Either way, he has a scouting background as well so it's not like a Gillis or Nonis situation where they had little understanding of how to evaluate the actual talent.

Reactions: MikeK and Nucker101

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
yeah who is actually putting him up as an option? I don't see anybody.

What's happening is that people are saying he's miles ahead of your GM of the Year who just got sent packing!!!!!
Oh yeah, I’m still sobbing uncontrollably.

I’m not sure what sweeping changes a new GM is going to make. He will likely carry on with most of the young group that is in place right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad