Confirmed with Link: Canucks fire GM Jim Benning, AGM John Weisbrod - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't give this organization credit too often, so here goes: I really think they nailed things yesterday.

Yes, it should have been done years ago. And failing that, weeks ago. But these are the exact moves that needed to be made.

Those two coaches needed to go and Boudreau was the right choice and more importantly at the right term. The new GM can easily dump him after this year if he wants.

Benning/Weisbrod needed to go and they didn't need to rush into replacing them. They needed to cut ties immediately, put some interims in place, and set themselves up for a proper search for the next architect.

I'll leave it there for now as they deserve no credit for what they did before and what they might do next. But yesterday was a great day for the organization and they executed it perfectly.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I really think that John Weisbrod was the brains behind the organization.

I don't know. I don't think there was much brain power going on with any of them. I still remember some years back how the league had to call and ask them if they understood the CBA and how the cap system works. From that moment on I knew they were all puppets and yes men for the owner. They were all happy to have the exec payday and perceived power. None of them know what they're doing. I doubt we see either of them in such a high level position again.

Reactions: Indiana and MarkMM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fair. His name just popped into my head as a recently jobless GM.

I am interested to see if they look for new blood in the GM role or go to an oldie.

I'm also interested to see how all of this is interpreted, if they will allow a proper re-build or if they are going to somehow attempt to be a playoff team in the next few years.

It's pretty clear they aren't close now and the pool is bare. The "plus" side is there are some good, young, players on the big club but they need so many changes to augment them that I cannot see a true contender anytime soon.

The elephant in the room here is the Sedins.

When they were hired, it was pretty much universally accepted that they were going to be the next GMs. Are they going to continue along that path and hire some veteran Rutherford type as a mentor to show them the ropes before sliding upstairs to a President role in a couple years? Or are they going for the best younger candidate which will likely result in the Sedins being pushed to the periphery or leaving entirely?

To me this is one of two things the whole process hinges on, the other being whether FA is willing to hire a POHO and give him a reasonable level of autonomy.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I don't give this organization credit too often, so here goes: I really think they nailed things yesterday.

Yes, it should have been done years ago. And failing that, weeks ago. But these are the exact moves that needed to be made.

Those two coaches needed to go and Boudreau was the right choice and more importantly at the right term. The new GM can easily dump him after this year if he wants.

Benning/Weisbrod needed to go and they didn't need to rush into replacing them. They needed to cut ties immediately, put some interims in place, and set themselves up for a proper search for the next architect.

I'll leave it there for now as they deserve no credit for what they did before and what they might do next. But yesterday was a great day for the organization and they executed it perfectly.

Eh I mean the fact they had zero clue this might happen is still concerning but the reaction, at least, was probably the best they could do.

I am at least interested in what they will do now.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Murray came out from being a scout for the Nucks though, then left the Nucks with Burke as a scout for the Ducks before taking over as GM.

***EDIT: Sorry, wrong about this. I thought he moved from the Nucks position to scouting for the Ducks but he actually moved into "VP of Hockey Operations" in 2005 for the Ducks.

Either way, he has a scouting background as well so it's not like a Gillis or Nonis situation where they had little understanding of how to evaluate the actual talent.​

That's like a Jupiter-sized red flag for me right now.

Hell f***ING No to anyone who comes from a "scouting background." Get lost, forever. Into the sun with thee.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

When they were hired, it was pretty much universally accepted that they were going to be the next GMs. Are they going to continue along that path and hire some veteran Rutherford type as a mentor to show them the ropes before sliding upstairs to a President role in a couple years? Or are they going for the best younger candidate which will likely result in the Sedins being pushed to the periphery or leaving entirely?

To me this is one of two things the whole process hinges on, the other being whether FA is willing to hire a POHO and give him a reasonable level of autonomy.

I like the Sedins as players but I really hope they don't avoid the best talent that might be young simply because they don't want to create blockers for the Sedins' future. The Sedins are HoF players but have done nothing to prove they deserve consideration for management, if they want to mentor under people then by all means go ahead, but certainly don't plan around them. If they learn and start contributing and showing that they have what it takes, THEN sure start to build a roadmap for them, but make them earn it first.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I’m just so excited for tonight. It’s been so long since I’ve felt like this.

It’s really cool to see people returning in the previous Thread, many I’ve never seen Post since I joined, some I vaguely recall from the 2020 Playoffs.

It feels like a family who’s been separated and is coming back together again. I’m optimistic about us being able to heal & look forward to seeing our beloved Team recover.

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021
I'm still recovering from last night

fxt5.gif

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Do the Sedins need to be the actual GM though?

I don't know how much influence they currently have in operations or could have...?

I also don't know if they have even given though to how to build a championship caliber team from the GM side.

I have no doubt they, like most ex players, desperately will want to win but I just don't know how well they think the game from the executive level.

Tough to say...?

I will say i'd rather the Sedins than Smyl....

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

I don't know them but I know reliable ppl that do work for one of them. First off, they are individuals who diverge on what they want to do post retirement. I don't even think they (or just one) are fully on board with a future in Vancouver, not to mention going into management. So that's problem #1, penciling them in to a future GM position is ridiculous at this point, that is probably a fan theory more than anything. They are very comfortable not having anything to do with hockey so far and into the future. I cannot imagine they love the prospect with dealing with our media Sekeres etc... each day.

If one of them do in fact want to pursue management full time, isn't it better to let them/him learn from a veteran GM instead of Benning/Smyl???? The horror.

A veteran GM is the safest way to steer this franchise back to respectability, and steward this org as they unravel the mess caused by two presidential terms of idiocracy. Once it's in a good place, in the next phase, Sedin as POHO or GM will be nice thing for the fans to see in Stanley park/Granville St.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
thinking today about the freaks that would turn up on this forum each summer to argue with everyone about how great benning was only to disappear once the season started and the team crashed and burned. RIP

wheres russianracket these days? He told us all how good Benning was and how good we were gonna be. Seems to have disappeared completely

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know them but I know reliable ppl that do work for one of them. First off, they are individuals who diverge on what they want to do post retirement. I don't even think they (or just one) are fully on board with a future in Vancouver, not to mention going into management. So that's problem #1, penciling them in to a future GM position is ridiculous at this point, that is probably a fan theory more than anything. They are very comfortable not having anything to do with hockey so far and into the future. I cannot imagine they love the prospect with dealing with our media Sekeres etc... each day.

If one of them do in fact want to pursue management full time, isn't it better to let them/him learn from a veteran GM instead of Benning/Smyl???? The horror.

A veteran GM is the safest way to steer this franchise back to respectability, and steward this org as they unravel the mess caused by two presidential terms of idiocracy. Once it's in a good place, in the next phase, Sedin as POHO or GM will be nice thing for the fans to see in Stanley park/Granville St.

I'm not taking a position on them one way or the other.

I'm just saying that the perception 6 months ago was that they were going to be groomed for bigger things and it will be very interesting to see if that is still the plan or if they will go a totally different direction.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Benning will probably do another AGM spot or scout for another team. I think he will take time off and take it from there.

But as main GM? Hell no, even his OBC hook ups know they won’t pull that trigger.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

If they do this correctly, and perhaps they finally will, they will hire an experienced POHO and be prepared to have 3 AGMs like Tampa and how Gillis wanted to do things. You replace Benning and Weisbrod with experience and slide the Sedins into the other AGM roles to continue their learning (with the added bonus to FA of not adding salary).

Reactions: MS

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I'm just going to post this here to see how terrible Jimbo has been since he got rid of most players he had from Gillis. Taken from /r canucks. Look at how that nothing Gillis left him with > anything Jimbo constructed.Those who say Gillis inherited a great core are crazy. That core was mediocre with one exceptional year(2006-2007) from Luongo that put them on his back.If Stevens is hired in 2013 , i;m sure we make the playoffs. During Torts season a lot of players had broken bones from his style of play.
The 2008 core just screams like contenders. :sarcasm:

Maybe the mods should sticky this graph for all Jimbo trolls and shills to see. If the media was neutral they should have show something like this to make the casuals understand. Instead they drove the Gillis lynching party to boost up local hero Linden and his pal Jimmy. I've never seen one media member who shilled for Jim apologize for their disgusting behaviour.
9g6my1o4ez381.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad