Canucks fans and the Bandwagon - will it ever change?

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
An article published by Global this morning highlights the topic:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1924311/c...-on-bandwagon-if-they-keep-on-winning-survey/

Interesting timing for me - I posted in the GDT last night the fact that I thought it was frustrating seeing the majority of the fans on this site having a 'sky is falling' reaction to LA going up 1-0 early in the game. In fact, there were at least a few that wrote the whole game off at that point. When I pointed this out one person even told me to 'please go away and don't come back.' :laugh::laugh:

In my opinion this is a microcosm of one of big issues with our fan base. It is sad, but true - Canucks fans, in general, are very fickle. I travel a lot for work and as a result have the opportunity to see games in other NHL cities. In most(not all) it is a different vibe, one that reminds me in many situations of years past(see - mid 90's) in Vancouver. A couple of games I've been to in the past month (Boston, Winnipeg) are both good examples of this. Love them or hate them, their fans are loud and loyal.

So I'm interested in hearing what everyone here thinks it will take for our Canucks to develop a die hard, rabid loyalty in our fan base that will last through thick and thin. Being obvious fans of the team (many would not go to the lengths to create accounts on HF and post opinion) do you feel any want or responsibility to help promote this?

I for one think the only way it ever will is when we finally win a cup. The pride in seeing those banners in your home rink does things to people. I at least hope that will be the case for Vancouver fans one day.

Cheers everyone.

DiggerDan

:hockey:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
There are always a good 300000 or so more fans in the Vancouver area when the Canucks are winning. It's frustrating as a real fan cause you go through the highs and lows and the bandwagoners/casuals are always experiencing mostly the highs. Quite annoying but what can you do?

You and I both know that their highs aren't nearly as high as ours.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I love fickle fans, makes game tickets cheap when the team is going through a slump.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think all fanbases are identical, but I think there are general types you could subdivide most fanbases into

For the Canucks, most of their fans are mentally conditioned to think the sky is falling because typically it has always fallen. We really need wetcoaster to publish one of his epic essays detailing all the misfortunes of the Canucks

But needless to say we are fickle, we are hypersensitive to anything that seems to go amiss and unable to emotionally handle potential failure so we distance ourselves from the team as a protective mechanism

Then once we sense there is some success to be had we pursue that because we deserve success god damnit!!

I don't dislike bandwagon fans as much as I used to, mainly when money is a factor. For all the money many fans pay to support the canucks, if they are not winning at what point do you say enough! After all it's just a hockey team, it's really a waste of money in the grand scheme of things. Throwing time and money at something unconditionally is kind of weird in it's own way

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I used to be a bandwagon fan.

During the 06 season. :dunno:

Been a fan ever since. I stop watching for a bit only really watched the playoffs during their presidents trophy years. Then I started getting on the bandwagon after the torts hire. Stayed on ever since.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't think all fanbases are identical, but I think there are general types you could subdivide most fanbases into

For the Canucks, most of their fans are mentally conditioned to think the sky is falling because typically it has always fallen. We really need wetcoaster to publish one of his epic essays detailing all the misfortunes of the Canucks

But needless to say we are fickle, we are hypersensitive to anything that seems to go amiss and unable to emotionally handle potential failure so we distance ourselves from the team as a protective mechanism

Then once we sense there is some success to be had we pursue that because we deserve success god damnit!!

I don't dislike bandwagon fans as much as I used to, mainly when money is a factor. For all the money many fans pay to support the canucks, if they are not winning at what point do you say enough! After all it's just a hockey team, it's really a waste of money in the grand scheme of things. Throwing time and money at something unconditionally is kind of weird in it's own way

I agree with this post whole heartedly. I don't think you could classify the Canucks fanbase as bandwagoners (except for the small contingent of actual bandwagoners that every fanbase possesses). Most of them are people who are so invested in this team and love them so much that they're careful how optimistic they get, or how much they take for granted, given all the stinging disappointments and failures in the past.

You have to remember that for a lot of the American fanbases, they have other major sports teams they support. Their hopes and dreams don't all lie with their hockey team. I read some Sharks fans saying "Ah well, it's really disappointing but at least we have the Warriors and the Giants to look forward to!". Canucks fans have...the Canucks. They have the Lions and Whitecaps as well but those come at a very distant 2nd and 3rd in terms of popularity and importance.

In short, ironically I think the issue is that the fanbase, for the most part, is TOO passionate about the team, so much so that all the disappointments in the past have affected them to the point where they're resorting to self-preservation techniques just to stay sane whilst cheering the team on. As for the people that aren't like that, good for them. It doesn't make them better or more of a fan. It just means they have the ability to continue to stay level headed and optimistic, despite all the proof in the past that the critics and pessimists draw on.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
I agree with this post whole heartedly. I don't think you could classify the Canucks fanbase as bandwagoners (except for the small contingent of actual bandwagoners that every fanbase possesses). Most of them are people who are so invested in this team and love them so much that they're careful how optimistic they get, or how much they take for granted, given all the stinging disappointments and failures in the past.

You have to remember that for a lot of the American fanbases, they have other major sports teams they support. Their hopes and dreams don't all lie with their hockey team. I read some Sharks fans saying "Ah well, it's really disappointing but at least we have the Warriors and the Giants to look forward to!". Canucks fans have...the Canucks. They have the Lions and Whitecaps as well but those come at a very distant 2nd and 3rd in terms of popularity and importance.

In short, ironically I think the issue is that the fanbase, for the most part, is TOO passionate about the team, so much so that all the disappointments in the past have affected them to the point where they're resorting to self-preservation techniques just to stay sane whilst cheering the team on. As for the people that aren't like that, good for them. It doesn't make them better or more of a fan. It just means they have the ability to continue to stay level headed and optimistic, despite all the proof in the past that the critics and pessimists draw on.

Interesting point!

To play devil's advocate - how do you think this is this different than places like Winnipeg or Calgary who have the same/similar dynamic in terms of other sport franchises?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I used to be a bandwagon fan.

During the 06 season. :dunno:

Been a fan ever since. I stop watching for a bit only really watched the playoffs during their presidents trophy years. Then I started getting on the bandwagon after the torts hire. Stayed on ever since.

That's like bizzaro world. Hopping on when Torts was doing his thing, while everyone was jumping off.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Do what I did when you have the opportunity. The day after we got swept by the Kings in the playoffs I wore my Canucks jersey to school and around town. To this day everyone respects my loyalty to the team!

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Interesting point!

To play devil's advocate - how do you think this is this different than places like Winnipeg or Calgary who have the same/similar dynamic in terms of other sport franchises?

-winnipeg's perspective is different because they had no hockey team for 15 years
-calgary's perspective is different because they've won a cup

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Interesting point!

Well it's not different in terms of other major sports franchises to invest in, but:

1) The Flames won a Cup in their history. Only one, but it's amazing what one Cup banner - like you said in your OP - can do. The fans can say that their franchise has in fact found a way to get it done, which gives them faith that the present and future versions of their team can follow suit.

2) The Jets version 2 are still a young team. Sure, Jets fans had the original version of their team as well, but at this point I think it's all about version 2 and it will take a lot more time and failure for that fanbase to go sour on their team.

Nevermind the Stanley Cup, the Canucks franchise just has a history of succumbing to adversity in general. Sure, they have their fair share of great, heroic moments as well. Make no mistake, the Canucks are not the most pathetic franchise in the league, FAR from it, but there's just a wealth of sad, disappointing moments when the fans had their hearts ripped out because their team couldn't overcome. I know that I simply can't forget the 2011 Cup finals and it's not even because they lost! It's HOW they lost. It's how they lost 4-0 in the most important game of the franchise's existence. It's how they set a record of futility in scoring only 8 goals in 7 SCF games. The list goes on...

The city needs a Cup in the worst way. The fans need the swagger that other fanbases have so that they can relax a bit more and quit waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know I could use it. I'll fully admit that I'm one uptight Canucks fan, but I'm a huge fan nonetheless. No doubt about it.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
By the way, I'm pretty sure if you studied the Leafs, Blues, Sabres, Flyers and Capitals' fanbases, they'd have close to the same level of cynicism as Canucks fans. These aren't just Cup starved fanbases, these are weary fanbases whose faith in their team has been tested too long now.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Family season ticket holder 45 years. A fan the whole time. Constantly complain about the "sky is falling" crowd. Often complain about the "for sell" signs on bandwagon seats.

And there's always the:

Going to Vancouver for the Stanley Cup finals! Its going to be a RIOT!

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
This is pretty easy to distinguish. It's like when the Seahawks lost this year. I was furious/crushed/disappointed, but a week later I was like "I ain't mad. Hawks won last year and they'll be back next year."

It's not the same when you follow a loser franchise your whole life. Sharks fans are like our dumb little brothers/sisters in this regard... ;)

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of bandwagon fans. Sometimes people are not huge into sports but just really like to join in when there is excitement in the air. I played hockey at a high level, and coached it, and scouted it; hockey is in my blood. I have been a Canuck fan my entire life, but if we have seasons like last year, I don't take the extra effort to make time in my schedule to watch piss poor hockey that is flat out painful to watch.

I become a huge fan of figure skating every four years for the Olympics; I don't miss any one of the Canadian performances. Do I watch it at all, ever...ever? No, but with national excitement, I really, really enjoy it.

I think we should appreciate those who jump on the bandwagon because they want to be part of something, even if they are not big into the sport in the first place. Hell, I think that is awesome.

In terms of being fickle; that happens when you don't win a single championship in over 40 years of being in a league. We came so...so close twice, and probably deserved to win it both times, but didn't. Being fickle I think is part of our nature because it just feels like good things can't happen to us.

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012
An article published by Global this morning highlights the topic:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1924311/c...-on-bandwagon-if-they-keep-on-winning-survey/

Interesting timing for me - I posted in the GDT last night the fact that I thought it was frustrating seeing the majority of the fans on this site having a 'sky is falling' reaction to LA going up 1-0 early in the game. In fact, there were at least a few that wrote the whole game off at that point. When I pointed this out one person even told me to 'please go away and don't come back.' :laugh::laugh:

In my opinion this is a microcosm of one of big issues with our fan base. It is sad, but true - Canucks fans, in general, are very fickle. I travel a lot for work and as a result have the opportunity to see games in other NHL cities. In most(not all) it is a different vibe, one that reminds me in many situations of years past(see - mid 90's) in Vancouver. A couple of games I've been to in the past month (Boston, Winnipeg) are both good examples of this. Love them or hate them, their fans are loud and loyal.

So I'm interested in hearing what everyone here thinks it will take for our Canucks to develop a die hard, rabid loyalty in our fan base that will last through thick and thin. Being obvious fans of the team (many would not go to the lengths to create accounts on HF and post opinion) do you feel any want or responsibility to help promote this?

I for one think the only way it ever will is when we finally win a cup. The pride in seeing those banners in your home rink does things to people. I at least hope that will be the case for Vancouver fans one day.

Cheers everyone.

DiggerDan

:hockey:

I think Vancouver does have a solid fanbase. I have always been a Nucks fan. I would even argue that Vancouver fans are actually the best fans. Despite not ever winning a cup people still support the Canucks. Despite ridicule from other fanbases people still wear their Nucks jerseys. Even like you said some are pessimistics yet they continue to watch/support the Canucks. We won't see true bandwagoners until we reach at least WCF or the stanley cup finals. Just my opinion :)

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Been a fan since I can remember, my dad used to always have games on when I was younger and I never turned back. I will always be a fan no matter where I live and how much they suck.

Being in high school you have no idea how annoying it is when the Canucks are good. No one wears a single jersey all year then suddenly game 1 of the playoffs and a couple hundred people are wearing jerseys and don't know **** all about the team.

I have a friend that was asking me how the Canucks were doing this year (their placement, points, point leaders, etc.) and he kept using "we". I'm cool if a die hard fans uses "we", but when someone who doesn't have a clue whats going on says "we" it just gets on my nerves.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
For the past three years, if a game was 1-0, I'd probably consider it over. But this team has grown balls over the course of the season - they never give up, as if they have something to prove.

So now I'm just in it for the fun. They won't win the cup, but at least they're not going to be a pushover like they were the last couple years.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I've always been a fan, but admittedly in highschool I often found myself too busy to watch every game. I also find it more entertaining some years. Last year I watched almost every game, but I didn't even enjoy it. We played boring hockey and we lost every game. While I cared about the Canucks, when I sat at watched a game I couldn't help but think I should really be doing something else right now.

I love the Canucks, and I hope we win a cup. But hockey is entertainment, and when your team doesn't entertain you, what's the point. I would hate to have been watching the cup winning Jersey teams because their style of play was so boring. Give me a first/second round exit every year while playing an exciting up tempo game year in year out than having a better chance at the cup winning every game 1-0 playing the trap.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I would say that I haven't been this disinterested in a Canucks season since 2008. I invested emotionally in the 2011 run, but ever since I've felt like I'm just getting too worked up about hockey in general. I'm not cheering for other teams, I don't dislike our players, I'm simply growing more apathetic towards the league in general. If people want to call that 'getting off the bandwagon', so be it, but I've been cheering for this team since I was 11.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I would say that I haven't been this disinterested in a Canucks season since 2008. I invested emotionally in the 2011 run, but ever since I've felt like I'm just getting too worked up about hockey in general. I'm not cheering for other teams, I don't dislike our players, I'm simply growing more apathetic towards the league in general. If people want to call that 'getting off the bandwagon', so be it, but I've been cheering for this team since I was 11.

I've been pretty tuned out over the last couple years due to the officiating in this league. However, I've been really proud of the team this year. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad