jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
#1 Jack Hughes 54%
#2 Kaapo Kakko 95.1%
#3 Bowen Byram 77.2%
#4 Alex Turcotte 52.9%
#5 Dylan Cozens 27.4%

We'll be using the Canucks Army rankings to be consistent with last year.

I've decided to make it a two day vote for now as that was a common complaint last year. I am aware that some are annoyed that this is going too early, but if we're going to get to the second round, we need to start now.

We could perhaps do a follow up top ten in the ten days leading up to the draft when our opinions have hardened.

I will adjust the order according to votes from the previous round to make it easier to find consensus top prospects. If you want to see a player added, you need to vote for them under ‘Other’. That’s not me making up a stupid rule. By voting for him as an ‘Other’, you would be putting him ahead of anyone with no votes when it comes time to sort for the next round. If more than one ‘other’ is added, I guess I would just expand the poll for a round until we end up with no new ‘Others’ and are back to 14 choices.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Torn between Dach Boldy Zegras Krebs and maybe even the New Hook

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The 13 people who voted Podkolzin would probably not take him this high if the Canucks were picking lol

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
That is the million dollar question. Why is ranked so high

His compete level is very high, he's very willing to play defense, has good skating skills, and plays a more north south style that will endear him to coaches here. If you look at what players are thriving in the playoffs it's players who play like Podkolzin.

He may not have as high a ceiling offensively as some others in the top 10, but his all round game will make him just as if not more valuable to whoever drafts him.

Reactions: CanuckCity

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
His compete level is very high, he's very willing to play defense, has good skating skills, and plays a more north south style that will endear him to coaches here. If you look at what players are thriving in the playoffs it's players who play like Podkolzin.

He may not have as high a ceiling offensively as some others in the top 10, but his all round game will make him just as if not more valuable to whoever drafts him.
Reminds me of a Russian Virtanen. Plays just die on his stick. I don’t think he plays a structured enough game to excel in the pro game. Could be a decent, grinding 3rd line winger if his poor habits can be corrected. Truly a polarizing prospect. It will be fascinating to see how far he falls

Last edited:

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
From only watching Podkolzin highlight/draft videos it seems like he's really flashy with things like end-to-end rushes and great puck handling, but the plays seem to end up in nothing. I do like his compete level and seems like he is good defensively but seems like his offensive numbers are indicative of perhaps not being able to make the right choice at the end of the play. Anyone watched a lot more of him and think this is wrong?

Reactions: Nucker101

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
What is is that people don't like about Arthur Kaliyev? Led his team in points by 20+, still hasn't turned 18 yet.

One dimensional player, lacks intensity and defensive awareness. Lots of more complete players available

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Okay, I've been talked out of Podkolzin, although I still believe that these next 10 or so picks are very fluid. I could see nearly any one of these remaining guys go in nearly any order.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm going to go with the fact most people don't know a lot about him.

I don't know a lot about him either, which is why I was asking. His low ranking is interesting to me. He's a 17 year old with 50 goals and 100 points on a team where the next-highest player is 20-year-old Matthew Strome with 79 points. He's not under-sized and based on the scouting reports I've seen his skating, while not top-end, is not terrible. Sounds like the main knock on him is defense?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Kaliyev is a bad skater and doesn't uselessly buzz around everywhere when he's on the ice and it's interpreted as being lazy and lacking intensity. It may be true to an extent, but I don't think it cancels how great his production is and he shouldn't be falling to a playoff team.

Has ridiculous finish and vision though and I'd probably have him at 7/8. Would be happy with him at 10. Very obviously a supporting cast guy though.

Will once again drop this list of U18 players to score 50+ goals in an OHL season.

D3-coK8U0AErQBp.png:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad