• Poll closed .

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
#1 Jack Hughes 54%
#2 Kaapo Kakko 95.1%
#3 Bowen Byram 77.2%
#4 Alex Turcotte 52.9%

We'll be using the Canucks Army rankings to be consistent with last year.

I've decided to make it a two day vote for now as that was a common complaint last year. I am aware that some are annoyed that this is going too early, but if we're going to get to the second round, we need to start now.

We could perhaps do a follow up top ten in the ten days leading up to the draft when our opinions have hardened.

I will adjust the order according to votes from the previous round to make it easier to find consensus top prospects. If you want to see a player added, you need to vote for them under ‘Other’. That’s not me making up a stupid rule. By voting for him as an ‘Other’, you would be putting him ahead of anyone with no votes when it comes time to sort for the next round. If more than one ‘other’ is added, I guess I would just expand the poll for a round until we end up with no new ‘Others’ and are back to 14 choices.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
there are 10 or so players that are all pretty close for me. Reminds me of the OJ mistake, I had Juolevi about equal to the next 10 or so, other than Tkachuk. Who was clearly the right choice.

Reactions: Jimnastic

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
there are 10 or so players that are all pretty close for me. Reminds me of the OJ mistake, I had Juolevi about equal to the next 10 or so, other than Tkachuk. Who was clearly the right choice.

This year definitely seems like more of a Juolevi or Dal Colle type pick at 5 than a Tkachuk or Pettersson.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I still think Dach has easily more offensive talent than Cozens.

Cozen's may not have the highest offensive ceiling but his floor is higher and his overall game could be more impactful at the NHL level. If Cozen's can be a 20-30 goal scorer while using his size and speed to be a force in the offensive zone, he's going to be a very valuable player for whoever picks him. Although he will be a winger in the NHL.

Dach, on the other hand, has the top end playmaking ability, but his motor and acceleration may not be high enough for him to have the time and space to create. I think these issues are overblown though.

But I've been defending Podkolzin since pick 3 and it's not stopping now. He may be a winger, but he still has the highest offensive ceiling.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Cozen's may not have the highest offensive ceiling but his floor is higher and his overall game could be more impactful at the NHL level. If Cozen's can be a 20-30 goal scorer while using his size and speed to be a force in the offensive zone, he's going to be a very valuable player for whoever picks him. Although he will be a winger in the NHL.

Dach, on the other hand, has the top end playmaking ability, but his motor and acceleration may not be high enough for him to have the time and space to create. I think these issues are overblown though.

But I've been defending Podkolzin since pick 3 and it's not stopping now. He may be a winger, but he still has the highest offensive ceiling.

I really don't see what would make him a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level.

He reminds me a lot of Brandon Sutter in terms of pure offensive tools. Lanky center who can skate quickly and has a good shot. Cozens has better instincts and is more willing to get in the rough areas but he doesn't strike me as someone who can sustain offensive zone pressures and keep a cycle going like Dach (who yes, I agree has risk factors) could.

He might fit in as a winger with a North-South center like MacKinnon (and I guess Horvat sorta fits the bill) but I don't see a floor good enough to ignore his ceiling.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'm with you. I also wanted Glass or Vilardi over Pettersson so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Most of us are talking out of our asses.

I was changing for Nichushkin when the Schneider trade happened.

One thing I've learned is to have patience and not freak out day of the draft.

Reactions: Slads

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm with you. I also wanted Glass or Vilardi over Pettersson so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Pettersson is great, but Glass is looking pretty darn good himself. Vilardi would have been the total disaster.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Most of us are talking out of our asses.

I was changing for Nichushkin when the Schneider trade happened.

One thing I've learned is to have patience and not freak out day of the draft.
Yeah me2

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Could you imagine the increased hate for Benning if he'd taken Vilardi? :amazed:

I think y2kcanucks' head would have exploded if the one time he agreed with Benning turned around and burned him like that.

I'm going to vote for Podkolzin, but the list is pretty volatile at this point... I could see a team taking a flier on Caulfield at any pick starting now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad