• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
#1 Jack Hughes 54%
#2 Kaapo Kakko 95.1%
#3 Bowen Byram 77.2%

We'll be using the Canucks Army rankings to be consistent with last year.

I've decided to make it a two day vote for now as that was a common complaint last year. I am aware that some are annoyed that this is going too early, but if we're going to get to the second round, we need to start now.

We could perhaps do a follow up top ten in the ten days leading up to the draft when our opinions have hardened.

I will adjust the order according to votes from the previous round to make it easier to find consensus top prospects. If you want to see a player added, you need to vote for them under ‘Other’. That’s not me making up a stupid rule. By voting for him as an ‘Other’, you would be putting him ahead of anyone with no votes when it comes time to sort for the next round. If more than one ‘other’ is added, I guess I would just expand the poll for a round until we end up with no new ‘Others’ and are back to 14 choices.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Probably Turcotte but Im so hopeful we get Boldy Ive just really started loving his game

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Podkolzin, he's the 3rd best player and only getting knocked for being Russian
That’s not the only reason he is being knocked. This is where the draft gets tough. Agree with the first three selections but now I could see a case for Dach, Boldy and Turcotte. Zegras not far behind

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Turcotte or Zegras(I'm sorry but any list that doesn't have Zegras ranked top 15 loses credibility, we should be using a better a baseline than CA).

Reactions: DonnyNucker

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Turcotte or Zegras(I'm sorry but any list that doesn't have Zegras ranked top 15 loses credibility, we should be using a better a baseline than CA).

There's nothing wrong with CA. The problem is they haven't come out with their final rankings yet, so the OP is using something that is quite dated.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
That’s not the only reason he is being knocked. This is where the draft gets tough. Agree with the first three selections but now I could see a case for Dach, Boldy and Turcotte. Zegras not far behind

If Podkolzin wasn't Russian, he'd be considered a step above this group IMO. His faults aren't anything different than anyone else in this group and his ceiling is higher.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
There’s concerns about his hockey sense.

Like I said, his concerns don't separate him from this group like some are saying. If he was playing in NA at least he'd be considered a better option. Lots of mystery in his game due to him being in Russia, and that factor.

Positional value can work against Podkolzin though. He is a winger.

I also have a nagging question about the USNDT players, on how good are they really considering how strong that team is this year.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Like I said, his concerns don't separate him from this group like some are saying. If he was playing in NA at least he'd be considered a better option. Lots of mystery in his game due to him being in Russia, and that factor.

Positional value can work against Podkolzin though. He is a winger.

I also have a nagging question about the USNDT players, on how good are they really considering how strong that team is this year.

The Russian factor is a factor. It needs to be considered. Being a winger will maybe knock him down too.

I'm a little skeptical of the USNTDP players as well. They all have gaudy numbers...because they get to play together. However I don't think that is the case with Turcotte. He was never a linemate of Hughes/Caulfield/Zegras, and played more of a two-way role on that team. That's why I voted him at #3.

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
Seeing the draft is in Vancouver, I would like see Benning try to trade to get the 4th, to pick Byram. I see Byram as just the kind of defenseman Vancouver needs. I am not advocating doing something stupid to get him. However, perhaps Virtanen (scares me saying that) and their 10th would do it?
I don’t think we have seen the best of Virtanen yet. However, I have a very good feeling about Byram and think he is going to be very good. Quinn Hughes and Byram could be Vancouver’s best defensemen in a few years.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Seeing the draft is in Vancouver, I would like see Benning try to trade to get the 4th, to pick Byram. I see Byram as just the kind of defenseman Vancouver needs. I am not advocating doing something stupid to get him. However, perhaps Virtanen (scares me saying that) and their 10th would do it?
I don’t think we have seen the best of Virtanen yet. However, I have a very good feeling about Byram and think he is going to be very good. Quinn Hughes and Byram could be Vancouver’s best defensemen in a few years.

Not even close to what it would cost. I would guess you would have to throw in both this years and next years 2nds as well. And its not worth it. There will be a decent player available at 10.

I think the biggest issue is whether or not Tryamkin is back in 20-21. If we have Woo, Tryamkin and Hughes, and Stecher and Hutton ... and maybe still Edler and Tanev we look to be in decent shape.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

I seriously doubt that Byram will be there at 4, and if he is, that Colorado would be willing to mice the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad