Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft G Aku Koskenvuo (5th Round, 137th Overall)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The article about Ian Clark is a good one to read. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, for sure. The one question I have is that if other teams really didn’t like him at all, then why use the higher pick on him? Why not take him in the 7th? It’s not a huge deal, and maybe there was at least one team who did like him, but if not then it seems like a missed opportunity to get a better skater earlier in the draft and get who you want with the throw away 7th.

They probably drafted BPA and at that point it's a bit hard to predict. At that point, 9 goalies have gone before Koskenvuo already and 5 more went before the Canucks' 7th round pick.

Koskevuo was ranked 4th among international goalies by central scouting. Wallstedt was #1 and obviously Brackett picked him in the first round. #2 and #3 went 78th and 83rd, respectively. #5 went 222nd, #6 went undrafted, #7 went 112nd, #8 went 163rd. I'm not even counting the NA goaltenders here.

So like you said, it's not a big deal and we really don't know if Koskevuo would be available with a later pick given that goalies were being picked.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
author: YLE, Janne Karinkanta
Aku Koskenvuo, 18, varattiin NHL:ään ja sitten hän pääsi Harvardiin – huippulahjakkuus haluaa menestyä jääkiekossa, mutta myös parantaa maailmaa

Aku Koskenvuo, 18, was drafted to the NHL and got into Harvard - top prospect aims to succeed in hockey, and in changing the world

HIFK's A-juniors' Aku Koskenvuo's day is a strict combination of studying and practice. In the coming fall he will be studying at, and playing for the University of Harvard.

The high school grade average of 9,7 [out of 10] and an acceptance in Harvard University likely makes Aku Koskenvuo one of the brightest in hockey.

In addition to the academic merits Koskenvuo has the NHL draftee status in his back pocket, even though his saved percentage pales in comparison to his grades. Selected in the 2021 5th round by the Vancouver Canucks the Espoo native has remained to play for HIFK A-juniors in addition to the junior national team.

"If I introduce myself as a hockey player people may be suprised with my decent school success. Then again when I meet people on the academic side the tables turn. One or the other comes as a suprise"

In the coming fall the goalie prospect begins his studies in Harvard and his first season in the NCAA league. Harvard is one of the so called Ivy League universities that don't grant access via sports scholarship. Success in sports has it's advantages but in order to get to harvard one has to be smart and successfull in school.

"Firstly the school coach contacted my agent kickstarting the process. When my background in studying came up, we began to have concrete plans."

Making said plans included interviews, writing essays, further interviews and an official application. This took around six months.

"I've dreamt of studying in an american university since I was little. Harvard has a great hockey progam as well. It was a special opportunity that I had to take."

Speaking with Koskenvuo it is quickly evident that he is not the average 18 year old. In his essays for Harvard he wrote of ethics, of right and wrong and the grey in between.

"I wrote about how much context affects everything, diluting ethical values. And if one is to choose between good and evil, what do they pick? The age one lives in slants how any of this is conceived. It isn't as straightforward as one may think."

The application asked how the applicant would do for their own community and what kind of a legacy they would want to leave behind. Koskenvuo has high ambitions in hockey but simply flashing the glove doesn't do.

"I am interested in working for organisations to change the world to a better place to be for everyone."

Influencing as an athlete as an interest

The word of the day in the streets is the moral responsibility of athletes. The topic springs especially when competitions are hosted in countries that stomp human rights. In the soccer circles the world championships in Qatar are widely discussed and critisised by Tim Sparv [finnish national team captain] for example.

In hockey such speeches haven't been heard.

Koskenvuo has the traits of an influencer. He is aware that an athlete has the pedestal to use power, and that the pedestal is manned in the future if he has the status, and the audience is receptive.

"I will open open my mouth if there is something big I want to affect. Though I would want to make concrete change to make sure my speech is followed by action. It'd be great to change the world."

Koskenvuo doesn't want to pile too much responsibility on the shoulders of an athlete. There is no point to speak up without the will and knowledge.

"Nobody can be forced to speak out. If you simply wish to play hockey, why couldn't you? It's not fruitful to take part in society and politics if doesn't interest at all. The worst thing would be to repeat everything one has heard to the media. It'd be fake.

But if there is an authentic interest, and will to take part to make change - it's awesome to do so."

Coach on their toes

Currently Koskenvuo's focus is to graduate from High School and to win the championship for HIFK A-juniors. The youngster calculates both to take around 20-30 hours per week. Scheduling is a task in itself.

In addition to this interview Koskenvuo's day consisted of physics' and maths' courses in the morning. After his Finnish and literature lessons in the afternoon he made his way to the rink. First he practiced with HIFK's Liiga team and subsequently with the A-juniors team. In the following morning he will practice with the A-juniors again.

"when you really want to succeed in both worlds, priorities suprisingly start to fall in place. You have to be awake and alert in class to have time to rest after practice, instead of catching up with homework."

It isn't a huge suprise to hear HIFK A-juniors' coach Joni Töykkälä describe his goalie ambitious, given the first impression.

"You can sense the strong competitiveness. Aku is an extremely ambitious and goal-oriented athlete. He's agile and has the size for a goalie. I like his focus and preparation" Töykkälä lists.

Koskenvuo's brain and lofty goals are known to his coach.

"It's evident that he is exceptionally smart, even for a goalie!"

"Us coaches have to be alert at all times what we blabber on. He at times tends to correct my choice of words being incorrect, not delivering the message I want to make."

Koskenvuo still is only one of the guys in the locker room instead of being an individual outside the dynamic. His opinion is valued, though.

"If someone has a conundrum to solve he usually gets asked for help. Oftentimes he has the answer as well."

Which career comes first?

The question Koskenvuo is unable to answer currently is "what do you do when you grow up?" Much depends on what motivates the most in the future.

"It's hard to say how hockey works out. You need a dash of luck, too. If something in the academic world is really interesting and it opens doors to something amazing - why not. But if hockey goes great and there's a spot to play in north america, that's equally tempting."

Koskenvuo's words exude with humility and confidence.

"It'd be outstanding to play for Team Finland, or in the NHL. I have the potential, but it's up to me to execute."

The open doors are plenty but the time for final choices is not here yet. Koskenvuo aims to live in the moment and enjoy the ride along the way.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
author: YLE, Janne Karinkanta
Aku Koskenvuo, 18, varattiin NHL:ään ja sitten hän pääsi Harvardiin – huippulahjakkuus haluaa menestyä jääkiekossa, mutta myös parantaa maailmaa

Aku Koskenvuo, 18, was drafted to the NHL and got into Harvard - top prospect aims to succeed in hockey, and in changing the world

HIFK's A-juniors' Aku Koskenvuo's day is a strict combination of studying and practice. In the coming fall he will be studying at, and playing for the University of Harvard.

The high school grade average of 9,7 [out of 10] and an acceptance in Harvard University likely makes Aku Koskenvuo one of the brightest in hockey.

In addition to the academic merits Koskenvuo has the NHL draftee status in his back pocket, even though his saved percentage pales in comparison to his grades. Selected in the 2021 5th round by the Vancouver Canucks the Espoo native has remained to play for HIFK A-juniors in addition to the junior national team.

"If I introduce myself as a hockey player people may be suprised with my decent school success. Then again when I meet people on the academic side the tables turn. One or the other comes as a suprise"

In the coming fall the goalie prospect begins his studies in Harvard and his first season in the NCAA league. Harvard is one of the so called Ivy League universities that don't grant access via sports scholarship. Success in sports has it's advantages but in order to get to harvard one has to be smart and successfull in school.

"Firstly the school coach contacted my agent kickstarting the process. When my background in studying came up, we began to have concrete plans."

Making said plans included interviews, writing essays, further interviews and an official application. This took around six months.

"I've dreamt of studying in an american university since I was little. Harvard has a great hockey progam as well. It was a special opportunity that I had to take."

Speaking with Koskenvuo it is quickly evident that he is not the average 18 year old. In his essays for Harvard he wrote of ethics, of right and wrong and the grey in between.

"I wrote about how much context affects everything, diluting ethical values. And if one is to choose between good and evil, what do they pick? The age one lives in slants how any of this is conceived. It isn't as straightforward as one may think."

The application asked how the applicant would do for their own community and what kind of a legacy they would want to leave behind. Koskenvuo has high ambitions in hockey but simply flashing the glove doesn't do.

"I am interested in working for organisations to change the world to a better place to be for everyone."

Influencing as an athlete as an interest

The word of the day in the streets is the moral responsibility of athletes. The topic springs especially when competitions are hosted in countries that stomp human rights. In the soccer circles the world championships in Qatar are widely discussed and critisised by Tim Sparv [finnish national team captain] for example.

In hockey such speeches haven't been heard.

Koskenvuo has the traits of an influencer. He is aware that an athlete has the pedestal to use power, and that the pedestal is manned in the future if he has the status, and the audience is receptive.

"I will open open my mouth if there is something big I want to affect. Though I would want to make concrete change to make sure my speech is followed by action. It'd be great to change the world."

Koskenvuo doesn't want to pile too much responsibility on the shoulders of an athlete. There is no point to speak up without the will and knowledge.

"Nobody can be forced to speak out. If you simply wish to play hockey, why couldn't you? It's not fruitful to take part in society and politics if doesn't interest at all. The worst thing would be to repeat everything one has heard to the media. It'd be fake.

But if there is an authentic interest, and will to take part to make change - it's awesome to do so."

Coach on their toes

Currently Koskenvuo's focus is to graduate from High School and to win the championship for HIFK A-juniors. The youngster calculates both to take around 20-30 hours per week. Scheduling is a task in itself.

In addition to this interview Koskenvuo's day consisted of physics' and maths' courses in the morning. After his Finnish and literature lessons in the afternoon he made his way to the rink. First he practiced with HIFK's Liiga team and subsequently with the A-juniors team. In the following morning he will practice with the A-juniors again.

"when you really want to succeed in both worlds, priorities suprisingly start to fall in place. You have to be awake and alert in class to have time to rest after practice, instead of catching up with homework."

It isn't a huge suprise to hear HIFK A-juniors' coach Joni Töykkälä describe his goalie ambitious, given the first impression.

"You can sense the strong competitiveness. Aku is an extremely ambitious and goal-oriented athlete. He's agile and has the size for a goalie. I like his focus and preparation" Töykkälä lists.

Koskenvuo's brain and lofty goals are known to his coach.

"It's evident that he is exceptionally smart, even for a goalie!"

"Us coaches have to be alert at all times what we blabber on. He at times tends to correct my choice of words being incorrect, not delivering the message I want to make."

Koskenvuo still is only one of the guys in the locker room instead of being an individual outside the dynamic. His opinion is valued, though.

"If someone has a conundrum to solve he usually gets asked for help. Oftentimes he has the answer as well."

Which career comes first?

The question Koskenvuo is unable to answer currently is "what do you do when you grow up?" Much depends on what motivates the most in the future.

"It's hard to say how hockey works out. You need a dash of luck, too. If something in the academic world is really interesting and it opens doors to something amazing - why not. But if hockey goes great and there's a spot to play in north america, that's equally tempting."

Koskenvuo's words exude with humility and confidence.

"It'd be outstanding to play for Team Finland, or in the NHL. I have the potential, but it's up to me to execute."

The open doors are plenty but the time for final choices is not here yet. Koskenvuo aims to live in the moment and enjoy the ride along the way.

...Has Harvard ever produced an NHL goaltender?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Harvard Alumni Stats in NHL

According to this list Aku Koskenvuo can be the first :thumbu:
Aside from Dryden from Cornell I don’t think you’ll find another nhl goalie from the Ivy league. Alex Lyon went to Yale and has appeared in a few nhl games but I don’t classify him as an nhler.

Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Cornell have produced more nhlers over schools like Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia, and Brown.

I would say that if he’s going to Harvard the canucks will probably look at taking another goalie in the later rounds this year as they should look to have someone else in the A 2 years from now than Silovs and Mike D.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Aside from Dryden from Cornell I don’t think you’ll find another nhl goalie from the Ivy league. Alex Lyon went to Yale and has appeared in a few nhl games but I don’t classify him as an nhler.

Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Cornell have produced more nhlers over schools like Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia, and Brown.

I would say that if he’s going to Harvard the canucks will probably look at taking another goalie in the later rounds this year as they should look to have someone else in the A 2 years from now than Silovs and Mike D.
Columbia plays Division III ACHA hockey. They’re in a dogfight with St Thomas Aquinas Academy for a playoff berth. There’s a webform for students interested in joining the team with questions such as: describe your prior hockey experience. Pretty sure it’s the same kind of deal with Penn.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Columbia plays Division III ACHA hockey. They’re in a dogfight with St Thomas Aquinas Academy for a playoff berth. There’s a webform for students interested in joining the team with questions such as: describe your prior hockey experience. Pretty sure it’s the same kind of deal with Penn.

"They're in a dogfight with St Thomas Aquinas Academy." That's one of the best ever HF lines. Brilliant.

Reactions: Nucker101

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’ve seen via hockeyDB players get drafted from Brown and Dartmouth. Penn I can’t recall. Columbia I think I saw that once or twice.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I’ve seen via hockeyDB players get drafted from Brown and Dartmouth. Penn I can’t recall. Columbia I think I saw that once or twice.
It would be pretty remarkable if a Division III player makes it to the NHL. The only one that comes to mind is Guy Hebert. If Columbia did produce NHL players, maybe it was in the past when they had a stronger program?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Cornell has produced the most goalies who played in the NHL.

More recently, Ben Scrivens (Cornell) and Mike Condon (Princeton) are the most successful. If you go further back, Brian Hayward (Cornell) had a solid career. There are more names but they're more like the Yann Danis (Brown) and Alex Lyon types.

Reactions: Lindgren

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Coaching matters so see what the Harvard staff do with him next season onwards.

but since it’s Harvard think it’s wise to budget that he will be there for like 3 years so best to grab another goalie who could go to the A in 2024.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

yearRoundDraftPosPlayerPosAmaTeam
20116172Dennis RobertsonDBrown U.
2007255TJ GaliardiFDartmouth College
2004240Grant LewisDDartmouth College
20049259Brian IhnacakCBrown U.
2003112Hugh JessimanRWDartmouth College
20035148Lee StempniakRWDartmouth College
19917137Geoff FinchGBrown U.
19919193Scott FraserRWDartmouth College
198712249Steve LaurinGDartmouth College
198210195John FranzosaGBrown U.
1980467Carey WilsonCDartmouth College
19787120James LawsonRWBrown U.
19789145Rick ScullyRWBrown U.
197813206Chris McLaughlinDDartmouth College
19778133James BennettCBrown U.
197710160Mark HoldenGBrown U.
197712172Mike LaycockGBrown U.
197515211Jim LundquistDBrown U.
19746101David GivenCBrown U.
197410165John AhernDBrown U.
1973681Keith SmithDBrown U.
197210151Fred RiggallRWDartmouth College
1968216Curt BennettRWBrown U.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Coaching matters so see what the Harvard staff do with him next season onwards.

but since it’s Harvard think it’s wise to budget that he will be there for like 3 years so best to grab another goalie who could go to the A in 2024.

Maybe we'll sign a UFA goalie from Europe or college? There is new management in town so I expect to see changes in the way the Canucks draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe we'll sign a UFA goalie from Europe or college? There is new management in town so I expect to see changes in the way the Canucks draft.
If AK goes to Harvard for 3 years that takes him to 2025. I think Silovs and Dipietro age out of the prospect category for the Canucks. So it’s good to have someone else down there by the time those 2 are not with the A club anymore.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
is it too soon to learn how to pronounce his name?
It's a rather nice name in Finnish though, might be one of those invented/translated surnames when the Fennomans abandoned their Swedish names back in time. Rapid Stream, I guess would be the direct translation? Anyway, obviously one of those scary people who are effortlessly high achievers... Don't know about the NHL career though, and I think with those grades and Harvard he might be bit wasting his time on hockey anyway :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad