Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft G Aku Koskenvuo (5th Round, 137th Overall)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Didn't seem like we needed to get him here, if this is the player Clark really wanted. But I'm clearly no insider, so maybe they knew something we didn't.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
His numbers are crappy, so hopefully they see something in his raw ability

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'd rather be a defenseman prospect pipeline than a goalie prospect pipeline, but at least there IS a pipeline at one position.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
The article about Ian Clark is a good one to read. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, for sure. The one question I have is that if other teams really didn’t like him at all, then why use the higher pick on him? Why not take him in the 7th? It’s not a huge deal, and maybe there was at least one team who did like him, but if not then it seems like a missed opportunity to get a better skater earlier in the draft and get who you want with the throw away 7th.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
This is the exact goalie I wanted the Nucks to take but I suspected he'd be available in the 7th round.

He has a lot of skills and size but he blew up in a few important games.

I could see him being a very good NHL backup.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The article about Ian Clark is a good one to read. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, for sure. The one question I have is that if other teams really didn’t like him at all, then why use the higher pick on him? Why not take him in the 7th? It’s not a huge deal, and maybe there was at least one team who did like him, but if not then it seems like a missed opportunity to get a better skater earlier in the draft and get who you want with the throw away 7th.

This was my thing as well. I kept looking for a goalie for the 7th and he seemed like one that would fall there. Not sure why the Nucks took him in the 5th.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Usually when a kid goes a little earlier than expected, it's because the drafting team gets wind of another team's interest and figures he won't be there by the last round of the draft.

And it's not like Koskenevo was a totally obscure prospect. Canucks Army was all over him as the number one 'value pick' goaltender for later in the draft....and he did get into games for Finland at the U-18's so a lot of scouts would have seen him.

I'm sure Ian Clark had a big say in drafting him and will likely help transform his game whenever he arrives here.

Reactions: Kearns

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

I see it like this "Why did I just pay for that medium double-double? I have a filled out McD's stamp card for a free one right here!" If you get a player that has a 'cup of coffee' in the league or even more in the 5th round or beyond, you are doing well. Most amount to nothing anyway. I'm fine with taking a project goalie in the 5th and trying to get value out of him, especially if it's a guy other teams were eying with later round picks.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Says he won’t go there til 22-23 so another year in Finland. But impressive that a foreign kid whose native language isn’t English got into Harvard.

As a Fin, that is not a big deal really.

We learn english speak real gud here early on in school.

Here some stat analysis for you math heads:

"Official statistics in 2012 show that at least 70% of Finnish people can speak English."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goalies can be a funny breed, and very hard to scout imo. For every guy like Carey Price or Marc Andre Fleury, there's a bunch of high draft picks in the crease that just don't pan out.

Then there's some obscure guy plucked out of Sweden or Finland, who goes on to a stellar NHL career. I mean guys like Pekke Rinne and Henrik Lundqvist come to mind. Rinne was drafted 258th overall in 2004 when they had a nine-round draft. And Lundqvist was drafted in 7th round.

So you can never write off kids like Koskenvuo or Silovs. Both are a bit of blank canvas for Canucks goaltending guru Ian Clark. But his track record suggests that at the very least, these guys will dramatically outperform their draft status by a considerable margin.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Goalies arent hard to scout at all you just need to know what you are looking for. Athletism, Compete Level, and the ability to read the play are the 3 most important skills to look at. If you stat watch thats where you start to get issues with goalies IE Mason Mcdonald over Thatcher Demko

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
5th round picks are good luck charms in this org and they wanted to start him off on the right foot :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad