Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Connor Lockhart (6th Round, 178th Overall)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Years from now, the 2021 NHL entry draft will be remembered as 'the COVID draft'. A lot of draft-eligible players just entered a back hole at the start of the season and emerged on the other side as complete mysteries, particularly if they weren't picked for one of the U-18 teams.

So there's bound to be a number players who plummeted down the draft board only because nobody saw them play a game last year. You can safely predict that there'll be a number of guys who pundits and fans will marvel years later wondering "how in the world did that kid fall so far in that draft?"

Hopefully Lockhart will one of the those players. In fact when you study some of the Canucks late round draft picks, there's one common theme. Most of them hardly played, and if they did, it was third division men's hockey which is the equivalent of beer league hockey.

So if the Canuck did their homework on some of these kids, then they might hit one out of the park with a couple of them.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Is he an elite skater? I briefly saw highlight clips of him and he didn't appear to be all that quick. Certainly not the darting elusive type one would like to see in a smaller player.
That was my comment from the main board and Sorry I should have specified more on his skating. It’s less about straight line speed and more about edgework. When I see him live, you can see it. He was one of the consensus top skaters coming into 2019 OHL priority selection. Harder to judge in highlights in a rookie year where he was not always in the best situation to utilize his skating

Scouting report from Dominic Tiano when looking at top OHL prospects for NHL draft:
“I am going off the board here with Connor Lockhart. Let’s face it, if he wasn’t 5’9”, he would get a lot more attention. In my opinion anyway. Lockhart is one of the top 2 or 3 skaters in the draft class. Truly elite speed and first step acceleration with the edgework to go along with that. And despite his diminutive size, few are as willing to use to the middle and use that skating ability to drive to the net. For a small guy, he really possesses a deceptive shot. And again, for his size, he is a tenacious forechecker using his speed to get in on defences quickly. What he needs to work on is to continually push the pace on the offence. That is when he is at his best. He often pauses to let the play develop around him and see what is happening instead of going continuously.” - Dominic Tiano

Of note and something I agree with is that if Connor was 5’11-6’0, regardless of missing all of 2020, he probably is a 3/4 round pick at worst. Size and missing all of last year pushed him way back.

Brock Otten (OHL coverage with McKeens hockey) said the following

I think that above is true as well. If he played a full normal season, there was a good chance he would have been at a PPG and gotten way more attention.

All this to say, in round 6 - this is tremendous value because he has talent/skill. I do know he’s been working on off ice strength training with Tony Greco this past year. So I have to imagine he’s much stronger and more confident coming into 2021 season

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Broke down Connor Lockhart's start to the season for the Daily Hive. There is a lot of video work in the piece, along with a look at his projectability.

Diminutive Canucks prospect Lockhart looking like a good value pick | Offside

Thanks for the coverage and the video. Those long pauses are so annoying though.

Unfortunately, it seems that he lacks finish. 4 goals in 15 games this season. I know he has missed a lot of hockey but hate to say it... he's trending to be a bust.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Something to keep in mind is that the highlights you saw were from his 16 year old season - there's still plenty of room to gain speed and strength from that age. From my views (from same videos you're seeing), he is definitely a good skater in his rookie OHL season. Not McDavid fast, but still well above average.

Lockhart had three assists in the season opener for the Peterborough Petes. Tonight, mid-way through the third, he's on a goal and two assists.

The math guys can tell us what his season pace is ...

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
How has no one talked about this , 6 points in his first 2 games . Hopefully this is Lockhart about to unlock his true potential I always thought he was capable of when we used a 6th round pick on him and can deserve a contract next season

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How has no one talked about this , 6 points in his first 2 games . Hopefully this is Lockhart about to unlock his true potential I always thought he was capable of when we used a 6th round pick on him and can deserve a contract next season

He was pretty unimpressive in the prospects camp.

Hopefully he keeps this up but the skillset there isn't eyecatching.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's expected. He needed to be over PPG last season to show he had legs as a prospect. This season he should be a 2+ PPG player and that will still only mean he might be worth signing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Conor Lockhart was a high, high draft pick in the OHL Bantam Draft by the Erie Otters, truly one of the OHL's worst teams. And then he lost an entire season in 2020-21 to COVID.

He'll have a big season for Peterborough, but at 5'9" and 180, it's hard to predict whether or not the Canucks will sign him. Yet the Canucks are so desperately thin at center, they might take a flyer on him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
At his size and age, he needs to have a ridiculous season in junior to really be on the radar as a legit prospect

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan and bh53

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Conor Lockhart was a high, high draft pick in the OHL Bantam Draft by the Erie Otters, truly one of the OHL's worst teams. And then he lost an entire season in 2020-21 to COVID.

He'll have a big season for Peterborough, but at 5'9" and 180, it's hard to predict whether or not the Canucks will sign him. Yet the Canucks are so desperately thin at center, they might take a flyer on him.
It looks like he's playing on the wing for Peterborough.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Another Assist Tonight he is off to a great start and is showing really great confidence. I’m not ready to call him a bust. Late bloomers are a thing and Lockhart has a chance . Still only 19 and if he can have a huge season the kid definitely deserves a ELC and to play for Abby next year

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
1 goal and 2 assists tonight . 11 points in the first 4 games this season . I am excited !!!!! And really happy about how well he is playing and there is hope

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Connor Lockhart is on top of the OHL scoring parade. Is it possible that the Canucks sign the scoring leader from the WHL in Bains last year; and the top scorer from the OHL the following year?

But just goes to show that older players wracking up points in junior hockey often doesn't mean that much.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Connor Lockhart is on top of the OHL scoring parade. Is it possible that the Canucks sign the scoring leader from the WHL in Bains last year; and the top scorer from the OHL the following year?

But just goes to show that older players wracking up points in junior hockey often doesn't mean that much.

Yea with how absolutely nothing Bains looked it’s probably nothing

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Another Nic Petan in the making. Light up junior and the minors but not quite good enough for the NHL.

It’s way to early to make that prediction . Conor Garland lit up juniors and played as an overage year and he turned out ok as the two of them are similar in height . Let’s appreciate that we might have a diamond in the rough here and the fact that we actually acquired another player in last years draft that has a chance to turn into something along with Klimovich is a win in my book . Especially as a 6th round pick .

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
It’s way to early to make that prediction . Conor Garland lit up juniors and played as an overage year and he turned out ok as the two of them are similar in height . Let’s appreciate that we might have a diamond in the rough here and the fact that we actually acquired another player in last years draft that has a chance to turn into something along with Klimovich is a win in my book . Especially as a 6th round pick .
No no.. everything screams pavel rosa.. dont you see it?

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
No no.. everything screams pavel rosa.. dont you see it?

I am not forecasting or predicting anything . I just appreciate the progress he has made and I’m excited to see how his season goes as it has started off great

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad