Confirmed with Link: Canucks draft F Connor Lockhart (6th Round, 178th Overall)

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I have followed this kid for a while , I think he could be a steal and he really would of broke through and had a successful season and could of been as high as a 2nd round pick if it wasn’t for Covid canceling the OHL season in its entirety.

time will tell but I believe he has a high ceiling

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I like what I've read about this pick, probably my fav in the Canucks draft(accounting for where the player was selected), Forsell being right behind him

Reactions: MarkMM and geebaan

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Probably my fav pick of this draft for the Nucks. Doesn't mean he's likely to be an NHLer (he's not) but it's one of those one's where there's a covid fog over what the guy really is and he has a bunch of talent.

I wish the Nucks had 3-4 more of these HOWEVER I am aware there are quite a few guys who didn't even get drafted so maybe some good camp invitees.

Reactions: geebaan and bh53

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's encouraging that the Canucks felt good enough about drafting a kid who never played a single game in 2020-21. So obviously they were relying on scouting reports from when he 16-17 year old and playing as a raw rookie in the OHL.

Sooner or later the Canucks have to find a decent forward out of the OHL. I mean other than Bo Horvat and Jared McCann, it's been a dry run for years. Maybe this is finally the kid.

Reactions: MarkMM

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This kid could be a steal. I don't know all that much about him, but it looks like he can put up some points. Missed the whole year of hockey due to covid, but I get this good feeling with this prospect. Just like last years Viktor Persson, I think this pick by the end of it, should of went a lot sooner than he did. Here's hoping.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
from the main board

"Erie fan here.

I think Lockhart is one of the more impacted players when it comes to draft position post pandemic season. I don’t think he would’ve been a 1st rounder because of his size and the fact that he wasn’t going to light it up in 2020-21 with Erie’s middle tier roster. But it’s very possible, maybe likely, that he would have been a 2nd/3rd round pick. Now? He might slip to round 6/7 because he didn’t play a single game this year. It’s sad too because he’s a former 3rd overall pick in 2019 OHL draft. People will tell you he had a “disappointing” rookie year but that’s harsh. Erie was a meh team and he got inconsistent minutes/linemates with size concerns to make it a tougher transition. But he was “fine” as a rookie.

Not playing at all in 2020-21.. Does it hurt his development short term? Of course. But long term this might be a blessing for him. His number one concern as a rookie was size/strength. Imo it impacted everything in his game from his puck control to even his shot selection. He lacked overall confidence because he wasn’t strong enough to win 50/50 battles and he knew it. It’s common for 16/17 year olds to feel that when they are undersized but I’ve also seen guys like DeBrincat just not let it bother them. So there is a concern for me that Lockhart lets his size become a bigger issue than it needs to be. Yes he’s short but that doesn’t mean you can’t be strong. He has to learn to play with more confidence while understanding yes there are disadvantages to your size but there can also be some advantages too.

All that said, he’s an elite level skater who has a strong work ethic and leadership skills. Those are important attributes to have in a later round pick/project. He will put in the work and it’s more about how high his floor/ceiling can go. Imo I would draft him in round 4/5 range. I could see a team reaching in round 3 but that would be risky since he hasn’t played in a year. But once you get to round 4, there are few players with more potential or reward. Intriguing prospect! Excited to see him start camp in Erie in a month"

encouraging​

Reactions: CanuckCity

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Not a bad pick but if the Canucks are unafraid or picking smaller talented players, then why not also take a chance on Stankoven?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not a bad pick but if the Canucks are unafraid or picking smaller talented players, then why not also take a chance on Stankoven?
Well the short answer is that Stankoven went 47th overall to Dallas. So if the Canucks wanted him, they'd have had to invest their only second round pick to take him. It's a lot easier to take a risk on smaller, talented forward later in the 6th round.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Because they got "Danila the Thrilla" with the 41st pick.

Kid looks like he could be a star. Swinging for the fences i would agree and he's gonna need some adjustment time and work on the details of his game but his shot is already NHL top6 worthy and he's a big thick dude.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
we are one guy away from a lock line.

upload_2021-7-26_13-19-6.jpeg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
from the main board

"Erie fan here
he’s an elite level skater...
...​

Is he an elite skater? I briefly saw highlight clips of him and he didn't appear to be all that quick. Certainly not the darting elusive type one would like to see in a smaller player.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Is he an elite skater? I briefly saw highlight clips of him and he didn't appear to be all that quick. Certainly not the darting elusive type one would like to see in a smaller player.

Something to keep in mind is that the highlights you saw were from his 16 year old season - there's still plenty of room to gain speed and strength from that age. From my views (from same videos you're seeing), he is definitely a good skater in his rookie OHL season. Not McDavid fast, but still well above average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad