Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sens - 3-2 (SO) (Boeser, Horvat)

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
You can't be sure yet. We can lose the next 2 games and win 6 after

Winning like the way we have is not sustainable...and even with a recent record of 7-2 we have barely scratched at the points difference.

Demko can only cover so many holes and both teams we are competing with for the 4th spot have multiple games at hand.

This is Vancouver hockey lately sucking until it no longer matters than winning when it no longer counts. Meanwhile Juolevi rots on the taxi squad sharing a ride with Dipeotro while Chatfield and Michaelis (I think that is his name Jesus Christ I forgot already) get more ice time.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That's kind of missing the point.

Take a look at the 2016 and 2017 Cup champs, who ran with Murray and Fleury. Without 2 capable goalies, they don't go b2b as Cup champs.

What, b2b Cups is too much, we want less? OK

Take a look at the 2017 TDL when Bishop was traded, so they could keep Vasi.

You remember who traded Bishop? Tampa, just like the single most consistent contender over the past decade and current defending champs.

It's not that we shouldn't have kept Demko, who's age matches our current core.

You're talking cup winning teams

This teams focus should on trying to compete 5v5, and you're talking about cup winning teams having two starters.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

This teams focus should on trying to compete 5v5, and you're talking about cup winning teams having two starters.
Forgive somebody who has better than bottom of the barrel expectations 7 seasons later.....

Reactions: I am toxic

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
those aren’t expectations based in reality
We can’t expect to be a well run organization?

What an awful time to be a Canucks fan. We dumb down any expectations, and reasonable best practices are not expected.

At least there is enough talent to be competitive in the games. Just have to learn how to dumb down my expectations.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Where in the draft do we find these key players who help us be better 5 on 5?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Agreed.

However that's the symptom.

The disease is ganGreen. He has uncoached the same way for his entire tenure, having no useful system other than relying on unsustainable goaltending.

Oh, I mean, he will have little set plays here and there, and they may use stretch passes or pressure fore-check (whatever that means, it's not the language I use for systems because it is so vague as to be meaningless). But these little tactics a) don't take into account the players available to us and b) don't integrate into a comprehensive system that is effective.

As a result, our players are often making poor decisions, going to the wrong places at the wrong times, and appear slow as the play passes them by.

So while the team should be trying to compete 5v5, the focus should be on getting a front-office/coaching-structure that is actually competent.

Because unlike some, I would like to talk about the construction of cup winning teams.

Instead of perpetual bottom-feeder bubble teams.

Reactions: Indiana

likash

Apr 17, 2019
those aren’t expectations based in reality
You want us to become the flames and be mediocre for 15 years? Let;'s not forget "little Johny" had 99 points in 2019. That are prime Sedins numbers. Where did that get them? Look at the oilers. They have the best duo in the league. I won't bet on them going past the second round.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You want us to become the flames and be mediocre for 15 years? Let;'s not forget "little Johny" had 99 points in 2019. That are prime Sedins numbers. Where did that get them? Look at the oilers. They have the best duo in the league. I won't bet on them going past the second round.

LOL WTF
find me where I said that.

It was a debate on if we should sign markstrom.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
We can’t expect to be a well run organization?

What an awful time to be a Canucks fan. We dumb down any expectations, and reasonable best practices are not expected.

At least there is enough talent to be competitive in the games. Just have to learn how to dumb down my expectations.

so the expectations are with Markstrom Vancouver is a stanley cup contender?

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
the original comment was about resigning markstrom, and suddenly we are jumping to cup winning teams have 2 starters.

The original comment was about not missing Marky - who even though he is struggling, is 0.17 SV% ahead of the guy we replaced him with, and Marky's team is still in the playoff hunt and has been for the entire season.

I wonder what that is like, being in the hunt for playoffs for the season.

Oh yeah, that was last year, while we had Marky.

edit: whoops only 0.10SV% ahead after last night

Last edited:

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The original comment was about not missing Marky - who even though he is struggling, is 0.17 SV% ahead of the guy we replaced him with, and Marky's team is still in the playoff hunt and has been for the entire season.

I wonder what that is like, being in the hunt for playoffs for the season.

Oh yeah, that was last year, while we had Marky.

That's your entire argument for him being better?
markstrom.png
demko.png

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
That's your entire argument for him being better?
View attachment 409436 View attachment 409439

uhh we replaced Marky with Holtby.

iirc Demko was already on the team with Marky last year

you remember last year, when Marky carried the team the entire season from the beginnin until he was injured?

unlike Demko who along with Marky's replacement shit the bed for the first third of the season and ended any playoffs hopes before they started.

but some people don't miss having a goalie do that.

to each their own.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

you remember last year, when Marky carried the team the entire season from the beginnin until he was injured?

unlike Demko who along with Marky's replacement shit the bed for the first third of the season and ended any playoffs hopes before they started.

to each their own.
Honestly dude I very seldom venture in to our boards because of the amount of posters who I can't for the life of me understand why they are even Nuck fans, the amount of goalpost moving and the shit talking of any player over 25 is Pejorative Slured.
I mean for fuc** sake saying Holtby was brought in to replace Marky is such bull-shit. If we didn't have Demko Marky would have been re-signed.
We all know this as it was pretty common knowledge. Holtby was an insurance plan and was always gonna be exposed. The management always envisioned Demko as the guy and his numbers are better than Markys even with the teams rough start.
As for the Flames being in the hunt from the start they have been out of the playoffs since for half the season and were carried by a hot stretch by Marky but he's been shit for awhile now and so have the flames.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario

to each their own.

Isn't Calgary out of playoff spot, and behind Vancouver in the standings. So Markstrom isn't doing what he did last year for Vancouver in Calgary.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Having Hughes blow a year of his ELC? Did we do the same with Boeser? Trading a lottery pick and more for JT Miller when he won't be around (or will be more expensive and aging out) when Jim Benning is finely claiming the team will be competitive after 7 years of failure? Trading a 2nd and prospect for Tofu? Letting 3rd pairing D - capable of playing top4D minutes when required - go for nothing, and then replacing them with garbage that can't even handle 3rd pairing minutes?

Where do I begin.

Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes blowing one year ELC is perfect. It puts them to be 10.2 RFA which means they cannot get offersheeted and allows the team to have better negotiating position.

JT Miller's pick ended up being 20th overall, his addition is extremely key to the development of the core. Sedins era of Canucks core all credited Sundin signing was important to their growth.

Toffoli was a deadline acquisition when Boeser went down, had COVID not happened, it would have been important to help the team make the playoffs, owners mandate.

Stecher was not a priority when they needed to sort out other positions. Stecher had to do what was right for himself, and signed with another team. It's just business.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks need at least a split in Montreal to hang in this playoff race. Does Demko have another 'daylight robbery' game on this road-swing? He's almost single-handedly willed the Canucks back into the playoff race.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
he had quite a few quality starts in February
How was Markstrom in February:)
Are you serious man? I would have traded MArky last year at the deadline and rolled with Demko. I'm just pointing out that we don't over-react after 2 weeks. After the coaching change MArky is 3-1. He beat the Habs 2 times in 2 games.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Markstrom was .925 in his first 14. Got trucked be Pearson (his own fault) and has been .862 in 8 games since.

Reactions: I am toxic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad