Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Golden Knights - 5-1 (Pettersson x 2, Horvat, Richardson, Pearson)

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Again, where the hell has this been? Why did it take till pointless games for this?
Let’s be real Vegas played like shit, especially Lehner. His rebound control was non existent. Also Demko as always. If they play like this the rest of the season I’ll be pissed, but this team has done this all season. They’re just inconsistent and major moves need to happen this off-season. #1 being getting rid of myers. It’s no coincidence OEL looked like a different player not being shackled to him

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson taking "no superstar" to heart. Best game of the year. The amount of forced errors and turnovers was unreal and so good to see given the first 20 games he was a negative in this regard and has had many of those games this year.

Schenn Myers and OEL stepped up big because the other 3 were not very good

What happened to Garland? Guy is sucking big time.

Demko is awesome. Top line was awesome, good workmanlike efforts from Pod Chiasson and Horvat .

Fun game to watch

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I don't think so. They've been rocked by injuries this year and to important players. They'll dump Dadanov in the off season, make some other moves, and somehow end up with the hottest free agent and be ready to challenge again.
If everyone was healthy, major salary would have had to have been moved out for them to play. Dadanov isn't enough to account for everyone.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If everyone was healthy, major salary would have had to have been moved out for them to play. Dadanov isn't enough to account for everyone.
They've shown in the past they have no allegiance to players and would dump anyone for the new shiny toy. I don't think this off season will be any different.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
They've shown in the past they have no allegiance to players and would dump anyone for the new shiny toy. I don't think this off season will be any different.
Maybe, but there's no way they could have loaded up with all those star players and made it work as is. That's why I don't buy the injury excuses since they are way over the cap.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really hope the Canucks find a way to bring back Boudreau....he just really seems to have the pulse of this team. He deserves another season.

And as tough a season as it's been at times, there are some nuggets of hope for this team. Demko is legit 'franchise goalie' and when he plays like he did tonight, Pettersson the No. 1 NHL center you have to have. Hughes is clearly a number one d-man and might eventually earn the 'franchise label' himself. And of course Horvat is quietly having his best season as a Canuck.

And looking further into the future, Podkolzin is really coming on. He and Hoglander are very exciting young forwards.

Obviously there's going to be changes this off-season, but I'd really be interested to see what Boudreau could accomplish with these players over a full 82-game schedule.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Maybe, but there's no way they could have loaded up with all those star players and made it work as is. That's why I don't buy the injury excuses since they are way over the cap.
They are missing Riley smith, Pacioretty, Stone, Hague, Carrier and some other guys. That’s a pretty substantial. 2 top line forwards and a top4D

Reactions: Ginger Papa

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Would have thought having Hughes out would have been more important. But it wasn't tonite. Real complete effort where for much of the game Canucks dominated and should have scored more. Got to admit some of that was how bad Vegas looked (and they are shadow of their past teams and shouldn't be in the playoffs) but also many Canucks came up with very good performances.

Good

Pettersson - been signs that he getting back to elite and this game was. Dangerous in lots of ways all game

Demko - when he had to, came up big. No doubt the talent is there. Seems to thrive on being busy

OEL - formed a very effective pairing with Schenn. Seems better when given a more offensive role with someone to back him up defensively. Give Schenn credit for making near everyone look better

Miller - him and Pettersson need to be left together. Really augment one another.

Myers - outside of one hellacious pass was strong coming out of his end and good down low in his end.

Podkolzin - turning into a very good NHLer before our eyes. Could be center the way he is covering the ice and the way he is getting confidence with the puck. Just ran shifts at certain points and showed he has the speed to get separation to make plays. Also blocked shots all game. Outstanding game and hopefully points will come.

Not So Good

Dickinson - remains very weak in the play and contributes very little. As usual the worst Canuck player in this game

Others

Horvat - continues to score and do well on faceoffs. Getting some stats which is, IMO, important since if the Canucks want to shake things up in the off-season trading Horvat might be the way to go. If he has decent numbers will easier to get something important back.

Chaisson - nice play on the pass to Pettersson. Really a play that for most of the season he looked incapable of making. Not great but he has improved.

Burroughs - lack of speed showed up at times but he did bring some hitting.

Pearson - no problem with how he is playing but did mess up some great set ups. Steady journey man type who on this team has to be given too prominent a role.

Looking more and more like Canucks will finish with the most amount of points of the non-playoff teams.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
What's a jib?
o_O

1649309653039.gif

Reactions: supercanuck

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
They are missing Riley smith, Pacioretty, Stone, Hague, Carrier and some other guys. That’s a pretty substantial. 2 top line forwards and a top4D
Which they can't afford cap-wise. Someone has to go anyway. They screwed their situation when they acquired Eichel and rode LTIR room all season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Its closed this year and doesn't look better going ahead capped out aging like a nuck team we had
A lot of their players have value. I imagine they would have no issue trading away guys like Karlsson and Smith. Yeah

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I look at cap friendly and I have no idea how the f*** their cap can actually work
They've got $15.2m on LTIR and $10.6m LTIR room. Stone was supposed to be getting ready to return. So does the NHL let them keep him on LTIR, but then no insurance to cover his salary so it's coming out of Hockey Related Revenue. I think they have to activate him, which means, what? Losing him on waivers? I just don't get what their move is here if the NHL forces them to take Stone off LTIR when he's ready to go.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They've got $15.2m on LTIR and $10.6m LTIR room. Stone was supposed to be getting ready to return. So does the NHL let them keep him on LTIR, but then no insurance to cover his salary so it's coming out of Hockey Related Revenue. I think they have to activate him, which means, what? Losing him on waivers? I just don't get what their move is here if the NHL forces them to take Stone off LTIR when he's ready to go.
they could park somebody else in LTIR, everyone has some kind of injury at this point. I am guessing Stones is the only one that is hard to get back into the roster and everyone else that is injured right now should be able to fit under the cap?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
they could park somebody else in LTIR, everyone has some kind of injury at this point. I am guessing Stones is the only one that is hard to get back into the roster and everyone else that is injured right now should be able to fit under the cap?
LTIR players a paid by insurance, so you can't throw them on because they scraped their knee. The idea is that LTIR players are not paid out of HRR so it shouldn't come out of the 50/50 revenue split with the league, at least that's my understanding of it. It's so complicated though so I could be wrong.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
LTIR players a paid by insurance, so you can't throw them on because they scraped their knee. The idea is that LTIR players are not paid out of HRR so it shouldn't come out of the 50/50 revenue split with the league, at least that's my understanding of it. It's so complicated though so I could be wrong.
I imagine they wouldn’t be able to force Stone off LTIR because the player only has to say I am not ready for the dr to not clear him. Stones also has no incentives to force himself onto they roster if he knows it will end up getting him waived or something.

There is a reason why Tampa could time Kucherov’s return, all you need is for the player to say I am not ready. Doctors aren’t going to go against what the player “feels”, that’s a lot of liability.

But yeah Vegas’ cap is freaking complicated, I have no idea what players can actually return and not.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I imagine they wouldn’t be able to force Stone off LTIR because the player only has to say I am not ready for the dr to not clear him. Stones also has no incentives to force himself onto they roster if he knows it will end up getting him waived or something.

There is a reason why Tampa could time Kucherov’s return, all you need is for the player to say I am not ready. Doctors aren’t going to go against what the player “feels”, that’s a lot of liability.

But yeah Vegas’ cap is freaking complicated, I have no idea what players can actually return and not.
The league investigated Kucherov though, the NHL deemed he wasn't fit to play until the playoffs. What a coincidence eh? Maybe it's different for pro sport athletes, but every doctor I've talked to is loathe to have you miss work too long.

"When a player is deemed fit to play, the team must activate them."

I'm not sure a doctor would really care about the cap situation, he's making medical decisions and his license could be on the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad