Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 3-2 (Joshua x2, Boeser) | 100 Points! Unpucker!

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Always love the balls on that kid to go top corner short side crossbody when the goalie was already outside of the crease
Totally spinning their wheels. At the start of the season, Trevor Zegras and Jamie Drysdale were coming stars.....but one is gone and other is rumored to be gone without a new contract.

Leo Carlsson is a high pick and a promising young player.....but I'm amazed that John Gibson and Cam Fowler are still with this struggling franchise. Couldn't deal them, I guess.

But they've got a bunch of picks coming up in the next couple of drafts, so hope springs eternal.
I think he meant in the game

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Totally spinning their wheels. At the start of the season, Trevor Zegras and Jamie Drysdale were coming stars.....but one is gone and other is rumored to be gone without a new contract.

Leo Carlsson is a high pick and a promising young player.....but I'm amazed that John Gibson and Cam Fowler are still with this struggling franchise. Couldn't deal them, I guess.

But they've got a bunch of picks coming up in the next couple of drafts, so hope springs eternal.

Honestly I don't think there was much behind the Zegras "rumors". That was Seravelli mostly speculating, he's never really shown to have a source in Anaheim and has been blatantly wrong about them in the past. Lebrun pretty much squashed the notion by saying the Ducks aren't doing any more than listening but aren't the ones making the calls.

Zegras has had a write off of a season but I'm really not all that concerned moving forward. It feels like he's the only one consistently creating chances, and would be racking up assists right now if he had a some finish around him. His talent hasn't suddenly dried up and he's making a clear effort to be better all around. I'd take the over on him returning to his 60+ point level next year, hopefully finds instant chemistry with Cutter.

As far as Gibson, I do think Verbeek had a valid point about not wanting to move him until we had another goalie ready to take his place. Just aren't enough true #1 workhorses to go around and don't want to be one of those teams struggling in net when we are ready to take the next step. But we are seeing Dostal prove himself at the moment and I could see Gibson finally being gone this summer. There are better teams than the Ducks who have much worse goaltending, I think they'll find him a new home.

Fowler sort of quietly put up a career year last season, statistically speaking. The grind of taking on #1 minutes for a bad team, seems to have gotten to him this year, he's never played worse than he is right now. I'd like to see him moved for his own sake, as he still has a lot to offer if he could be utilized properly (#2/3 type guy). In his place, the Ducks could use a more pure shutdown type guy, to component Zellweger and Mintyukov moving forward.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Anyone in particular stand out from Anaheim?

I thought Dostal had a very strong game. The shot count wasn't crazy, but he stopped a few high grade scoring chances.

For skaters, I noticed Zellweger and Lagesson in a positive way. Zellweger, aside from his goal, was moving well and causing a bit of havoc. Lagesson did a good job battling in front of his net and trying to clear traffic for Dostal.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If that's the case you trade a pick to unload Mikheyev. It isn't even close in terms of which one is more important to the team.

Yup. Joshua is emerging into one of those types of players that teams pay money hand over fist to acquire, because that combination of size, speed, skill and work ethic is hard to come by.

Reactions: BenningHurtsMySoul

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup. Joshua is emerging into one of those types of players that teams pay money hand over fist to acquire, because that combination of size, speed, skill and work ethic is hard to come by.

He's on the Burrows curve right now and he's going to score 25-30 goals next year on Pettersson or Miller's line and is also one of our top PKers and one of the most physical players in the NHL.

He's totally irreplaceable and an absolute must-sign. He might be our best winger at ES.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He's on the Burrows curve right now and he's going to score 25-30 goals next year on Pettersson or Miller's line and is also one of our top PKers and one of the most physical players in the NHL.

He's totally irreplaceable and an absolute must-sign. He might be our best winger at ES.
i think it's close between him and Garland at ES and they have such good chemistry together. put them with either Miller or Pettersson and look out. how many years you giving him?

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I'd give him 4 years without thinking twice. Probably 5.
It's a pretty remarkable development curve when you consider how many (few) games it took to go from the ECHL to the AHL and through to the NHL. Still hasn't played 300 games at the pro level (combined) yet. Hopefully he values term and fit above max AAV. Either way, he's a must sign.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Boeser or Joshua? Hmmm.

I missed most of the game, my PVR only recorded the first period :(

I expected an easy win, Ducks playing 2nd game in less than 24 hours, should have been a walk in the park.
Reading here maybe the Canucks thought that too.
OF course the bought media aren't portraying it that way. The high lights show Hughes and Hronek losing their checks and Hughes just standing there watching on the first goal.

The player I wanted to concentrate on was Silvos because I have doubts about Demko's return.

They are in the playoffs.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If that's the case you trade a pick to unload Mikheyev. It isn't even close in terms of which one is more important to the team.
Definitely, depending on the cost to clear space. It's a big cap hit to move.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The Book is out on the Canucks. We try to win every game in the first. Getting the first goal is not good enough, we try to get the second and third and then turtle the rest of the game.

The Ducks, of all teams, knew this going and they actually didn't waited till the Canucks were asleep going into the third. We didn't get lucky - we had the skill to beat them. Joshua is a difference and he made up the difference of an AHL goalie who was asleep.

But c'mon Tocc, get the first goal but don't go all in in the first. Save something for the third.

--

Had to watch the TNT. I gotta say, it was hard listening to Olcyck? cheering for the Ducks the whole game. Albert? had to jump in to point out when the Canucks were all over them when it happened to try and balance it out.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Book is out on the cooks. We try to win every game in the first. Getting the first goal is not good enough, we try to get the second and third and then turtle the rest of the game.

The Ducks, of all teams, knew this going and they actually didn't waited till the Canucks were asleep going into the third. We didn't get lucky - we had the skill to beat them. Joshua is a difference and he made up the difference of an AHL goalie who was asleep.

But c'mon Tocc, get the first goal but don't go all in in the first. Save something for the third.

--

Had to watch the TNT. I gotta say, it was hard listening to Olcyck? cheering for the Ducks the whole game. Albert? had to jump in to point out when the Canucks were all over them when it happened to try and balance it out.

This is what we call overreacting for anyone nodding in agreement to this.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sunday's result is just a reminder that in the age of parity, there are no 'easy games' any more.

I think the Canucks probably assumed that after their 6-1 beatdown in Edmonton, and then traveling and getting into Vancouver late; coupled with a 12:30 start time, that the Ducks would be 'fowl' coming out of the gate.

But it appears they actually gained some motivation from their face-plant in Edmonton. And maintained a strong energy level throughout.

Seems to happen in garbage time every. Lottery bound teams sometimes rise up and 'slay the dragon' in a road game. Heck, Ottawa is on a five-game win streak. And last year the Canucks played at a .670 clip in the last few meaningless games, with a line sprinkled with AHL players.

I think part of psychological. It's natural for a team already locked into a playoff spot to take their foot off the gas. I think the upcoming games in Vegas and L.A. will be a better measure of where this team is really at.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
How is this is an overreaction?
It's an observation. Did you watch the game or watch the past dozen from start to finish?

It's an unimpressive win against arguably the worst team in the NHL. Easy to overreact and imagine getting steamrolled by Vegas in game 1 of the playoffs if this is the team that shows up.

There's 8 games left and the team's mindset has shifted to the playoffs. These games and this stretch of hockey is difficult and it's not surprising to see an uninspiring hockey team down the stretch.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks finish their season-high nine game homestand at 5-3-1.....and even in the games they lost against Dallas, Washington, L.A. and Denver in OT, they were the better team at times five on five.

So while it could have been better, the Canucks are still on pace to finish with the second-highest point total in franchise history.

Nothing much matters any more, other than holding off the Oilers for first in the Pacific. The only issue to be answered is--can they increase their energy level and competitiveness in the playoffs?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
It's an unimpressive win against arguably the worst team in the NHL. Easy to overreact and imagine getting steamrolled by Vegas in game 1 of the playoffs if this is the team that shows up.

There's 8 games left and the team's mindset has shifted to the playoffs. These games and this stretch of hockey is difficult and it's not surprising to see an uninspiring hockey team down the stretch.
I'm not the one overreacting here. It's a simple observation. I think you are reading way too much in my post. This is not the first time "they took their foot off the gas" having an impressive lead. They've done this multiple times this season. It's an obvious weakness in the team and my belief is we can look squarely at the guy behind the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad