Rumor: Canucks could flip Lindholm to Boston if they acquire Guentzel

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Makes sense considering Boston is still weak at Center and Vancouver needs the winger more going forward

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Certainly looking that way. Not sure what the hell is up with him but he's been horrible this year.

I doubt he gets what Calgary offered him but if he has a good playoff I imagine he’ll still get a good deal. If he doesn’t pick it up at all though, it’ll be interesting. Maybe take a prove it deal.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
As an Oiler fan, gotta love the potential lose:lose trade between the Flames and Canucks (Lindholm/Kuzmenko).

Surprised. Although this is an early judgement, I was expecting Lindholm to be a great fit in the Canucks lineup.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I mean, Canucks fans have been pretty adamant that he's been bad for the Canucks though. I think they still probably get a 1st back for him, but I would expect him to bring back less now than what the Canucks traded for him.

The interesting thing with Boston is that they don't have a 2024 1st, so any 1st rounder going back would have to be 2025. I don't really know how adding an additional 2025 1st really helps them pull off Guentzel.
They will get less back, but they should absolutely still return a 1st.

Reactions: FONZIE

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
But if Van needs the deal to get Guentzel....Boston kind of has them over a barrel no? Why would Boston come even close to paying the price that Vancouver did for him.

No, multiple teams have supposedly inquired because they still want a C.

Lindholm had the bonus value of being Pettersson insurance, but now he's re-signed.

Reactions: oceanchild

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Vegas will get Guentzel. They always get the shiniest toy on the market. They’re owner is the George Steinbrenner of hockey

Reactions: Regal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They will get less back, but they should absolutely still return a 1st.

Yeah I think they gave up basically a 1st, B prospect and a 3rd for him, while they'll get back a 1st and 3rd for him. Sucks to lose Brzustewicz for 15 games of Lindholm, but I think they can at least partially rationalize it by pointing out that deal got them out of Kuzmenko's deal as well.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
jim benning 4d chess about to start. strap in.
Cut to Jim Benning, sitting in an Arby's booth sizing up a Big Montana

74dd0bc0-6a86-450c-9bb2-ecceeac14556_text.gif

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
But if Van needs the deal to get Guentzel....Boston kind of has them over a barrel no? Why would Boston come even close to paying the price that Vancouver did for him.

Because there is always demand for centers. And if Lindholm were to re-enter the market he would still likely be option number one, just with two fewer interested teams.

Vancouver can also just not make the deal and not get Guentzel.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I think they gave up basically a 1st, B prospect and a 3rd for him, while they'll get back a 1st and 3rd for him. Sucks to lose Brzustewicz for 15 games of Lindholm, but I think they can at least partially rationalize it by pointing out that deal got them out of Kuzmenko's deal as well.
could be essentially giving up a b/a tier prospect for 10 million over 2 years

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Boston isn’t likely the only team that wants him, and if no one is willing to pay, you keep him and don’t make the Guentzel deal. Or you make the Guentzel deal and fix the cap elsewhere. So the deal with Boston is “this is the price, take it or leave it?” If they want him they can pay. But you don’t waste your assets a player then give him away and give more assets for his replacement.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This reminds me of Vegas trading a fortune for Tatar only to trade him as a cap dump in the Pacioretty deal like 3 months later

They also tried to flip Dadonov after 5 months or so.

Plus Canucks reportedly wanted to move Zadorov earlier...I guess the lesson here is don't acquire players from teams that have red in their jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad