Confirmed with Link: Canucks come to affiliate agreement with ECHL Alaska Aces

Dreamboat

Esports Caster
Feb 1, 2009
Victoria
twitter.com
The salmon kings fan in me still hates all you alaskans (big rival) but at the same time, Goldie won a cup with you after we died, so that was some redemption.

Screw it, someone send me a Blomstrand, Fox or Valk jersey

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I haven't been to anchorage but I've been to other parts of Alaska. It's like BC in a magnifying glass. If it were Canadian, I'd consider retiring there.

In the winter?

How many hour of light do they get a day? In December? I cannot imagine anyone moving north to retire in North America. It would be like moving from Florida to retire in New York. Maybe the ocean keeps it from being too cold but the lack of sunshine wears on a person as well.

Would like to take the Alaskan cruise though. The scenery looks nice.

IrascibleOne

Sep 14, 2005
Anchorage, AK
In the winter?

How many hour of light do they get a day? In December? I cannot imagine anyone moving north to retire in North America. It would be like moving from Florida to retire in New York. Maybe the ocean keeps it from being too cold but the lack of sunshine wears on a person as well.

December... around 5:30-6 hours. Today... 19:20 hours. There's no doubt that some people find it difficult to cope with the short days during the winter months. The summers make up for it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'll try to provide updates as we get closer to the start of training camp. Fair warning, though... you guys may learn to hate me. I'm a Wings fan... ;)

We're lucky to have a great ownership/management team here. In 2002, they stepped up and purchased the team out of bankruptcy court after the original owner, Mike Cusack, ran up $2 million in debt. Cusack even had the team listed on Ebay, at one point, before filing for bankruptcy.

Since purchasing the team, they've worked hard to regain and keep the trust of the local business community with much success. Corporate sponsors and fans flocked back, and the team found success on the ice after joining the ECHL (championships in '05-'06, '10-'11, '13-'14). The team operates in the black most seasons, though missing the playoffs the past couple years likely resulted in a couple years in the red. Hopefully they'll get things turned around on the ice this season and make a nice, deep playoff run. Winning fixes everything, right?

Listing the team on eBay...:laugh: I like that guy's style.

In the winter?

Old people keep the most bizarre hours anyway. Who cares how much light or dark there is. :D

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't been to anchorage but I've been to other parts of Alaska. It's like BC in a magnifying glass. If it were Canadian, I'd consider retiring there.

Yukon. Pretty similar, minus the oil money in Alaska that makes their infrastructure a hundred times better, but if you're looking for the nature anyways...

December... around 5:30-6 hours. Today... 19:20 hours. There's no doubt that some people find it difficult to cope with the short days during the winter months. The summers make up for it.

Ha, yeah it's still bright out in Whitehorse right now... 1 am. The weeks around the summer solstice are especially terrific.

Problem for a hockey team is that they'll be there in the winter, not the summer. Still, Anchorage is a terrific city. Great breweries, friendly people, has a "big city" feel since it's the hub of Alaska, multiple direct flights to the rest of North America, etc.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Hey, we're East of *something*... ;)

On a serious note, I'm kind of surprised. We're 49 posts in, and not one Sarah Palin joke. I guess it's only the mainland Americans who are obsessed with her, eh?

We're Canadian, Palin stopped being funny as soon as Trump2016 became a thing ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad