Pre-Game Talk: Canucks @ Avs | Friday, October 24th, 7pm MT | The fun continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Team back at practice later this morning so may as well turn the page to the next game if any news comes out. Hopefully we'll get the last word on the goalies and if they plan to call anyone up. My guess is no.

Also, Roy's weekly radio show will begin shortly on the Fan. I'm sure highlights will get posted one way or another.

I had a vision of Roy's master plan last night. Guenin will surely be back in against Vancouver and will suck as usual so Roy has to give Redmond his first start in Winnipeg, right? Right? Perfect time to do it, I'm sure he'd be extra fired up.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
better win this one. canucks are one of the rivals for the wild card spot.

needs to start winning games if avs want to play hockey in spring.

sedins will probably toy with our D and man-on-man system and varly has to stand on his head.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on the Fan:

- Roy won't say it's frustrating, but they're disappointed. They expected a better start. But now they are where they are and have to regroup at the basics. He's not getting heated in the room, it's his job to make players accountable, but when looking at big picture, he thinks they are close. Stats don't mean much, but they had leads in most of these games.
- Varly in net tomorrow. He went on ice yesterday with Allaire and he said to the trainers he's good to go.
- In first period, they gave up 11 chances. Not concerned about shots, more about chances. He wants them to cut down on scoring chances. They need to be better. They're making mistakes on breakouts. Too many turnovers on first pass on the wall. After a solid year, sometimes you can expect a breakdown, and thinks that's what they're facing. He likes the group, thinks it's a solid group, they have to play a little better.
- Said players aren't mentally affected by different goalies. Goaltending has been pretty solid, except in Ottawa maybe. Offensively, they need to simplify, and they need to do that on breakouts and entries as well.
- Question about if they're being too fancy. He said last 2-3 games they're putting more shots on net. He said it's coming, it could be seen as baby steps.
- They missed Mitchell a lot in the playoffs, he's an important player on the team. It gives them depth, gives them 3 solid centers and really helps the team. He's doing well on faceoffs, reliable defensively.
- Wilson out at least 2 weeks, and they haven't made lineup decisions to replace him. They'll talk about it today.

More after the break, I'll keep updating.

- Vancouer will be a tough test. Great goalie, the Sedins. He'd rather focus on his team and make sure they apply the small details. If they're sharp mentally and apply them well, they can do it.
- Duchene and O'reilly, he's thinking about putting them back together today. ROR with Duchene and he hasn't decided on right winger. He knows ROR and Duchene play well together, and he's no doubt thinking about it. Duchene had 10 shots in Montreal, he's playing well.
- Was asked about MacKinnon's extra weight and if it's hurting. Roy doesn't think so. He's having a tough start, and they expect that. 2nd year is always tougher. He didn't think he was ready for the Crosby-pressure. It's a process and he needs to learn, and he's still learning. He's not shooting with confidence. When he scores, confidence will come back. Lombardi said he blames Talbot. Roy said he should stay with Lombardi.
- Lombardi asks about Cliche's fight after all the goals, and if it took the momentum and if it was the right time to fight. Roy said it was perfect, they had the momentum, but that guy was slashing their players, so cliche was standing up for his team. What bothered him was the turnover in their own end (Barrie pass). That's what they need to work on. Under pressure, they need to simplify. It's a learning process. Like in Montreal, instead of playing tight defensively, they opened up the game with a young goalie, and gave up 16 shots in the 1st. Their mindset isn't quite right there. He wishes they could have 2-3 more wins, but it's the hard way right now. They can't fasttrack the team, their guys are learning. Eventually, it will pay off for them.
- He thinks they found a good matchup on the PP. ROR with Landy and MacKinnon moved it well and had a lot of chances. There's moments where their decisions could be better, like simplifying with one-timer and working for a rebound. Said they got overexcited after scoring 3 goals, got too fancy, and it caught up to them.
- He said sending Everberg down was a tough decision. Goalie injuries made it a tough decision. They didn't want to put Berra on IR. They had to have 3 goalies, and had to send someone down. Didn't want to put someone on waivers. Everberg was the easy guy to send down. He played well, but needs a good year in the minors which will make him even better.
- Roy was at last Broncos game.

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Well at least he didn't outright say Guenin is back in.

Let's hope St. Louis wears the Canucks down tonight. Get a tired team on a back to back.

Thanks for the update Mars.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well at least he didn't outright say Guenin is back in.

Let's hope St. Louis wears the Canucks down tonight. Get a tired team on a back to back.

Thanks for the update Mars.

Yeah there is hope there, hope when they talk about D it's time to give Redmond a look.

Also thank god he said he's probably going to put Duchene and O'Reilly back together.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i had panthers at 11 chances overall for the game ES.

they didn't have powerplay so i guess avs give those scoring chances more easily than i do. i think i had them at 7 or so, though there were few borderline situations.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
This is first Blueberries night of the season! I expect win :) We were quite good last season wearing them, Third Jersey Curse is not present anymore :)

2014-15 Third Jersey Schedule
Date Opponent
Oct. 24, 2014 Vancouver Canucks
Nov. 2, 2014 Anaheim Ducks
Nov. 29, 2014 Dallas Stars
Dec. 11, 2014 Winnipeg Jets
Dec. 23, 2014 St. Louis Blues
Jan. 8, 2015 Ottawa Senators
Jan. 30, 2015 Nashville Predators
Feb. 16, 2015 Arizona Coyotes
Feb. 28, 2015 Minnesota Wild
March 12, 2015 New Jersey Devils
March 28, 2015 Buffalo Sabres
April 9, 2015 Winnipeg Jets

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Yeah there is hope there, hope when they talk about D it's time to give Redmond a look.

Also thank god he said he's probably going to put Duchene and O'Reilly back together.
I assume the winger on the otherside will be Tanguay or Iginla. Only combo Roy hasn't tried is:

O'Reilly-Duchene-Landeskog
Tanguay-Mackinnon-Iginla

Would be interesting.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He also said he likes how McGinn plays with Duchene.

O'Reilly-Duchene-McGinn
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Iginla
Tanguay-Mitchell-Briere

Wouldn't be bad but probably just keep Iginla with Duchene.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Expecting another beatdown, I just don't see how this defensive unit can play reasonable hockey for 60 minutes against professional opponents.

I'll go with 5-2 Canucks.

Canucks play the second game of a back-to-back, which will help Avs.

Don't be ridiculous. You were optimistic the last two games as well. We don't stand a chance.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

O'Reilly-Duchene-McGinn
Tanguay-Mitchell-Briere

I'd go:

O'Reilly - Duchene - Landeskog
Tanguay - MacKinnon - Iginla
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere

- Stack up the top unit and get them going. Move Landy to the right side so he uses his drive to the net move more while shielding the puck.
- MacK isn't playing well, so force him to slow his game down a bit and leverage the Tanguay/Iginla "chemistry" that is supposed to exist.
- Let Mitchell do his thing and Briere/Ginner should compliment each other decently, decent hands on Danny and a big body with a big shot on the other wing.

I don't know, nothing's working. Worth a shot.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Roy on the Fan:

- Roy won't say it's frustrating, but they're disappointed. They expected a better start. But now they are where they are and have to regroup at the basics. He's not getting heated in the room, it's his job to make players accountable, but when looking at big picture, he thinks they are close. Stats don't mean much, but they had leads in most of these games.
- Varly in net tomorrow. He went on ice yesterday with Allaire and he said to the trainers he's good to go.
- In first period, they gave up 11 chances. Not concerned about shots, more about chances. He wants them to cut down on scoring chances. They need to be better. They're making mistakes on breakouts. Too many turnovers on first pass on the wall. After a solid year, sometimes you can expect a breakdown, and thinks that's what they're facing. He likes the group, thinks it's a solid group, they have to play a little better.
- Said players aren't mentally affected by different goalies. Goaltending has been pretty solid, except in Ottawa maybe. Offensively, they need to simplify, and they need to do that on breakouts and entries as well.
- Question about if they're being too fancy. He said last 2-3 games they're putting more shots on net. He said it's coming, it could be seen as baby steps.
- They missed Mitchell a lot in the playoffs, he's an important player on the team. It gives them depth, gives them 3 solid centers and really helps the team. He's doing well on faceoffs, reliable defensively.
- Wilson out at least 2 weeks, and they haven't made lineup decisions to replace him. They'll talk about it today.

More after the break, I'll keep updating.

- Vancouer will be a tough test. Great goalie, the Sedins. He'd rather focus on his team and make sure they apply the small details. If they're sharp mentally and apply them well, they can do it.
- Duchene and O'reilly, he's thinking about putting them back together today. ROR with Duchene and he hasn't decided on right winger. He knows ROR and Duchene play well together, and he's no doubt thinking about it. Duchene had 10 shots in Montreal, he's playing well.
- Was asked about MacKinnon's extra weight and if it's hurting. Roy doesn't think so. He's having a tough start, and they expect that. 2nd year is always tougher. He didn't think he was ready for the Crosby-pressure. It's a process and he needs to learn, and he's still learning. He's not shooting with confidence. When he scores, confidence will come back. Lombardi said he blames Talbot. Roy said he should stay with Lombardi.
- Lombardi asks about Cliche's fight after all the goals, and if it took the momentum and if it was the right time to fight. Roy said it was perfect, they had the momentum, but that guy was slashing their players, so cliche was standing up for his team. What bothered him was the turnover in their own end (Barrie pass). That's what they need to work on. Under pressure, they need to simplify. It's a learning process. Like in Montreal, instead of playing tight defensively, they opened up the game with a young goalie, and gave up 16 shots in the 1st. Their mindset isn't quite right there. He wishes they could have 2-3 more wins, but it's the hard way right now. They can't fasttrack the team, their guys are learning. Eventually, it will pay off for them.
- He thinks they found a good matchup on the PP. ROR with Landy and MacKinnon moved it well and had a lot of chances. There's moments where their decisions could be better, like simplifying with one-timer and working for a rebound. Said they got overexcited after scoring 3 goals, got too fancy, and it caught up to them.
- He said sending Everberg down was a tough decision. Goalie injuries made it a tough decision. They didn't want to put Berra on IR. They had to have 3 goalies, and had to send someone down. Didn't want to put someone on waivers. Everberg was the easy guy to send down. He played well, but needs a good year in the minors which will make him even better.
- Roy was at last Broncos game.

Just curious, did Roy mention Barrie on that turnover, or did you put "(barrie pass)" in there just to let us know the play being talked about?

Thanks for posting this.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
315mp06.jpg

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario

O'Reilly-Duchene-McGinn
Tanguay-Mitchell-Briere

I really want to see Landy with Iginla. I wish we had another top 6 forward to put with Duchene. Mcginn would be a really good 3rd liner.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'd go:

O'Reilly - Duchene - Landeskog
Tanguay - MacKinnon - Iginla
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere

- Stack up the top unit and get them going. Move Landy to the right side so he uses his drive to the net move more while shielding the puck.
- MacK isn't playing well, so force him to slow his game down a bit and leverage the Tanguay/Iginla "chemistry" that is supposed to exist.
- Let Mitchell do his thing and Briere/Ginner should compliment each other decently, decent hands on Danny and a big body with a big shot on the other wing.

I don't know, nothing's working. Worth a shot.
Read my mind. There's a lot of logic behind these lines. Other than Iginla and Duchene have been showing chemistry.

MacKinnon throwing on the breaks every time he gains the offensive zone would probably work well with Iginla though. Gives Iginla a chance to drive the net, or get open for a pass.

I think this team starts righting the ship starting tomorrow night. Everyone knows that Varlamov needs to steal games, and is capable of it. Most nights when the Avs score 3 goals, they're going to win, if Varly is net.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Thanks. Bummer, was hoping Roy said something about it. I like to hear coaches opinions on plays like that. Especially since it was really hard for me to see on TV (camera angle was terrible). Couldnt really tell if Barrie made a bad pass or if MacK just could not handle the pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad