Recalled/Assigned: Canucks assign D Mark Friedman to Abbotsford (conditioning), assign F Linus Karlsson to Abbotsford

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Thank god.

I understand bringing him up for a number of logistical reasons but Linus should never have been given minutes with the big boys.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
It's a shame for Friedman that he's kind of been locked out of icetime here.

He's definitely good enough to be a #6/7 D on a playoff team, and now he's suddenly a #8.

He'll be nice depth to have, but still. I'd like to see him get some more game time.

Reactions: vanuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess this means the days of scratching Kuzmenko are at an end. With Di Giuseppe on LTIR and Karlsson dispatched to Abbotsford, the Canucks have no extra bodies on the forward line.

Still think there's some kind of trade coming.......In fact Elliot Friedman is predicting that the Canucks will be one of the teams to watch as we more inexorably closer to the TDL.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
We don't play until Thursday, so send them down to get some games in. I would assume Friedman's conditioning stint ends and another forward is recalled on Thursday, after Abby plays two games.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
We don't play until Thursday, so send them down to get some games in. I would assume Friedman's conditioning stint ends and another forward is recalled on Thursday, after Abby plays two games.
Yes.. these are the little boring things managers have to do.. blank days to help a guy out / put a guy back

If they call anyone up probably wont be until like 3 on thursday.. 2 depending on traffic

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't see how this maneuvers the team in any way to make a move. If they wanted to make a trade, Karlsson could have been sent down at any time. No cap space is saved.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Was Friedman healthy this whole time? I thought he was injured?
You want an answer with this team?

But seriously .. if a player doesnt play for x amount of games or days (i dont recall specifics) they qualify for a conditioning stint

Reactions: Vector

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Friedman was injured and then we acquired Zadorov so he was probably healthy for a bit now but we got on the road trip and we needed bodies so that's why he was here so long without playing. I bet that we see him down the line and in the playoffs - good depth.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Still can't see why Karlsson was called up at all. Maybe that made some promise to get him signed. He is far from the best player in Abby. Don't think he'll be back next season. Probably play decently in the SHL.

Friedman should help Abby. Brisebois would as well and wonder about his status. Looks like he might be the same boat as Poolman with a head injury. But that's pretty much a guess.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Still can't see why Karlsson was called up at all. Maybe that made some promise to get him signed. He is far from the best player in Abby. Don't think he'll be back next season. Probably play decently in the SHL.

Friedman should help Abby. Brisebois would as well and wonder about his status. Looks like he might be the same boat as Poolman with a head injury. But that's pretty much a guess.
Ok, what am I missing? Isn't having no spare forward enough reason to call up a forward? Right now PDG is still on the injured list and with Karlsson sent down there is no spare forward on the roster. That can work short term if both the NHL and AHL Canucks are at home, but would be an unnecessary risk when either team is on the road and the NHL Canucks just finished a grueling road trip.

I'm guessing that before either Canucks team goes back out on the road we see something happen to give the team a spare forward, either PDG coming off IR, another callup or an acquisition.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
friedman the forgotten man. played pretty decent before zadorov was aquired. paired alongside cole. soucy was out during that time as well.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Karlsson leads Abbotsford in scoring but has played just four NHL games with the Canucks. Is there any NHL potential or is his ceiling that of an NHL/AHL tweener or top SHL scorer?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Karlsson leads Abbotsford in scoring but has played just four NHL games with the Canucks. Is there any NHL potential or is his ceiling that of an NHL/AHL tweener or top SHL scorer?
He doesn’t have great wheels.

It seems like the coaching staff trusts him out there to not be a liability, but unless he can provide something on the PK, it seems like he’d be a real long shot to be an NHL staple in the bottom 6.

More of a call up option than anything else. He’s a pretty smart player, who is good along the boards, and has decent offensive instincts as well, but his lack of foot speed probably holds him back from being a full time NHL’er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad