Canucks are most valuable NHL team outside of "Original Six" (FORBES)

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
I saw this article from Forbes listing all 30 NHL teams by how much they are worth. It's no surprise that the top 6 teams on the list are all the original 6 teams. But Vancouver is ranked 7th, behind them. That makes the Canucks the most valuable team in the NHL outside of the Original Six and I think that is a very good accomplishment. It also makes them the most valuable team in the NHL to have never won a Stanley Cup.

The top 3 teams (Leafs/Rangers/Canadiens) are in a league of their own. But Vancouver is very close to catching up to the 4th, 5th and 6th ranked teams. Here is the full list:

Maple Leafs – $1 billion
Rangers - $750 million
Canadiens - $575 million

Blackhawks - $350 million
Bruins - $348 million
Red Wings - $346 million
Canucks - $342 million
Flyers - $336 million

Penguins - $288 million
Kings - $276 million
Capitals - $250 million
Flames - $245 million
Stars - $240 million
Oilers - $225 million
Sharks - $223 million
Senators - $220 million
Wild - $218 million
Avalanche - $210 million
Devils - $205 million
Jets - $200 million
Ducks - $192 million
Sabres - $175 million
Lightning - $174 million
Panthers - $170 million
Predators - $167 million
Hurricanes - $162 million
Islanders - $155 million
Blue Jackets - $145 million
Coyotes - $134 million
Blues - $130 million

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
So, what were the Jets valued at in their last season as the Thrashers? It'd be interesting to put a price tag on the move. It might even create a framework for what the NHL can should charge as an expansion fee for new teams.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
Next season, or the one after, Canucks will break into that top 6 and surpass Detroit. They were +14 on the previous year (increase in %age of value) and Detroit was only +3. Heck, they could be passing Boston as well.

Wellwood You

Dec 13, 2008
Burnaby, BC
The Blues' valuation makes sense. Forbes had them at $157M in December 2011 and they sold for $130M in May 2012.

While they are top 10 in attendance, they are bottom 10 in average ticket price. Also since they do not own the arena (the city of St. Louis does), they have to split revenues from concessions, parking, rentals for concerts, etc.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
There's no way the Blues are the least valuable. They finished 2nd in the conference last year for crying out loud.

Umm their ticket prices were cheap as hell and I think they were bought for pretty cheap when ownership changed. Not sure what conference positioning has to do with it.

Canucks have been most valuable outside of o6 for awhile now, I think they up seated Philly 3 years ago,

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Next season, or the one after, Canucks will break into that top 6 and surpass Detroit. They were +14 on the previous year (increase in %age of value) and Detroit was only +3. Heck, they could be passing Boston as well.

I agree. I think the Canucks cup run played a big part in that. If the Canucks can go deep in the playoffs for a few more years, we may see the Canucks move up to 4th, and possibly even create some gap/distance between Boston, Chicago and Detroit. Just depends on whether or not the Canucks can make the playoffs and go deep again, or better yet win a cup.

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
Including the building, LRS, nightclub, rooftop, hotel and restaurant/bar, the Strathcona Hotel in Victoria is worth more than the St. Louis Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad