Value of: Canucks and Leafs

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Thoughts are you should quit making trade proposals

kerfoot + Engvall + Ritchie hold 0 value to the Canucks. You even mention Ritchie and engvall are throw ins. Kerfoot helps us do what? If we are trading horvat and miller we obviously aren’t looking to compete anymore. We could just replace these 3 guys with league min players and would probably have the same 0n ice result whilst saving a shit ton of money.

Mrzaek with his contract holds negative value to us since he’s oft injured and blocks dipietro from a nhl job, or we are spending 3.8M to have him be our ahl starter. He probably has negative value to the rest of the legaue as well given he’s injured for 50% of the season every season

so you want horvat + miller for taking on mrzaek while paying only sandin + Robertson + 1st

You realize instead of taking on the 11M for those scrap players the Canucks could just withhold 50% on miller and horvat and increase their value even more and still end up with less cap used?

if 1.5 years of Blake Coleman at 1.8M can return Foote + a 1st imagine what 2.625M jt miller for 1.5 years could return. Same with a 2.75M Horvat for 1.5 years.

Your proposal barely meets the value of 1 player let alone both all while taking on a bunch of cap for longer duration (mrzaek has an extra year). Canucks could get much much more and end up with 50% more cap space if they just retained on both players

Last edited:

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Thoughts on.......

Kerfoot 3.5M
Ritchie 2.5M
Robertson
Sandin 900k
Engvall 1.25
Mrazek 3.8
1st

FOR

JT Miller 5.25
Horvat 5.5
Halak 1.5

Money in and out is virtual was

TORONTO

JT Miller - Matthews - Marner
Horvat - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kampf - Kase
Bunting - Spezza - Simmonds/Semyonov

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Liljegren - Dermott

Campbell
Halak

- Look to upgrade 1 D spot

That roster would be pretty sick (lines 1-2 would be tough to deal with)
Checking line would be very good

VANCOUVER
- Sandin , Robertson and the 1st are obviously the keys - but Kerfoot is a swiss army knife that helps them
- Ritchie is a throw in - but is an improvement over 3-4 of their forward
- Engvall is an improvement over 3-4 of their forwards

I'm more interested in why you chose Stuart to precede Catso? Was Stronzo Katso already taken?

Pretty sure troll in English is the same word in Italian.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'm glad it's not just Canucks fans calling this out as an awful proposal. Canucks fans are all definitely homers for not liking it, but at least we have the support of Leaf haters of every other stripe.
You don't need to be a Leaf hater to realize that it's a terrible offer. Nucks don't even bother to responed back.

Reactions: Cogburn

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Sandin, Robertson and a 1st are not scraps. Easy pass from Toronto. Horvat is a great player but he's not what we need. That's too much money for a guy who would be our 3C. JT Miller also isn't the kind of winger we need. We also need guys on ELCs to contribute, given how f***ed our cap is. The other leafs pieces in this trade are pretty garbage though, Ritchie is a cap dump and he barely looks like an NHL player, and Mrazek has been injured the entire year.

Both Miller and Horvat are only signed for 1 more year after this season, and they would both walk as FA as we don't have the money to pay them. Miller is probably getting 7.5M+ on his next deal, I'd imagine Horvat gets around 7M as well.

Leafs are giving up far too much for only 2 years of those guys. Sandin will be a legitimate top 4D for a long time, Robertson also looks like a legit top 6W. Both are on ELCs which is more valuable to the Leafs right now. Canucks would be better off moving those guys to a team that could actually extend them, they'd get a better return.

Yah I mean why should the leafs give up any sort of value for valuable players, I mean that's not the way the NHL works does it............WOW

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
You admit Ritchie and Engvall were just throw-ins, and you're making them pay a backup over 2M more than before. With that in mind, do you really think JT Miller AND Horvat is equivalent to Sandin, Robertson, and what after this trade would be a pretty late first?

Kerfoot has silently been pretty good....yes, Hyman good (check the numbers)

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Sandin, Robertson and a 1st are not scraps. Easy pass from Toronto. Horvat is a great player but he's not what we need. That's too much money for a guy who would be our 3C. JT Miller also isn't the kind of winger we need. We also need guys on ELCs to contribute, given how f***ed our cap is. The other leafs pieces in this trade are pretty garbage though, Ritchie is a cap dump and he barely looks like an NHL player, and Mrazek has been injured the entire year.

Both Miller and Horvat are only signed for 1 more year after this season, and they would both walk as FA as we don't have the money to pay them. Miller is probably getting 7.5M+ on his next deal, I'd imagine Horvat gets around 7M as well.

Leafs are giving up far too much for only 2 years of those guys. Sandin will be a legitimate top 4D for a long time, Robertson also looks like a legit top 6W. Both are on ELCs which is more valuable to the Leafs right now. Canucks would be better off moving those guys to a team that could actually extend them, they'd get a better return.

Players who give a sh*t are not what Toronto needs? Seems to me that every year after the Leaf's get tossed in the first all we hear is how the team has no heart. Miller is a pure heart guy. So is Horvat. They are exactly the type of player the Leaf's need. As for the cap ramifications. That is understandable. But to say the Leaf's don't need players like Miller or Horvat is laughable. They are precisely the type of player TO needs to get over the hump.

Vancouver easily says no to this. There is nothing of significant value coming from Toronto in this offer. Maybe revisit after Sandin actually becomes a top 4 guy. As of now he is not. The rest does not move the needle in Vancouver in the slightest.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Value wise its terrible for the Canucks, fit wise makes the leafs way to top heavy and Miller and horvat walk in free agency.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Players who give a sh*t are not what Toronto needs? Seems to me that every year after the Leaf's get tossed in the first all we hear is how the team has no heart. Miller is a pure heart guy. So is Horvat. They are exactly the type of player the Leaf's need. As for the cap ramifications. That is understandable. But to say the Leaf's don't need players like Miller or Horvat is laughable. They are precisely the type of player TO needs to get over the hump.

Vancouver easily says no to this. There is nothing of significant value coming from Toronto in this offer. Maybe revisit after Sandin actually becomes a top 4 guy. As of now he is not. The rest does not move the needle in Vancouver in the slightest.

We do not need a 2C or a scoring winger who are only signed for 1 more season and are up for a massive raise.

Sandin is already a legit 2nd pairing guy, we do not revisit period. JT Miller is getting 7M+ on his new deal, Horvat probably around 7M as well. Too many nucks fans not properly reading my OP.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
We do not need a 2C or a scoring winger who are only signed for 1 more season and are up for a massive raise.

Sandin is already a legit 2nd pairing guy, we do not revisit period. JT Miller is getting 7M+ on his new deal, Horvat probably around 7M as well. Too many nucks fans not properly reading my OP.

Apparently you are the one whom is not properly reading a post. I clearly said the cap ramifications are legit. My point was/is that Toronto could certainly use more heart and soul players such as Miller or Horvat. And Sandin is not even top 4 in Toronto atm. Rielly, Brodie, Holl and Muzzin are all playing 20+ minutes a night. Sandin plays over 3 minutes less per night. Placing him 5th among defensemen on the Leaf's. He might be top 4 in Vancouver but that does not make him a legit top 4 yet. Sandin will have to be a lot better to impact the team in any measurable way. Miller is a legit top line winger and Horvat is a playoff performer. 16 points in 23 games to go along with nearly 60% in faceoffs. Totals that rival Toronto's best.

I am not here to convince you of anything. We are not the GM's of these teams. Both players have almost 2 years left on their deals. You are trying to make it sound like they are late season rentals. So again for clarity. Toronto could not fit both players under the cap. Hence the trade as stated is almost certainly never going to happen. But that does not mean they would not make Toronto a much better team. Far better than any of the players listed in this trade have. Sandin included. Miller and Horvat are the 2 best players in this trade. Hands down.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00