Dreger: Canucks and Jets reject similar offers from Philly for Sanheim: Schmidt+ /Boeser+

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Dregs.

Philly struck out trying to move Sanehim to the Jets. Jets rejected an offer that included Philly taking Nate Schmidt+ for Sanheim.

Philly then went to the Canucks and struck out again trying to move Sanheim for a similar package. Dregs couldnt quite put his finger on which winger Philly was willing to take back but a winger with similar contract as Schmidt so it would have been Boeser or Garland. Either way, Boeser/Garland + for Sanheim was rejected by the Canucks as well.

Who knows what the + would have been. Maybe it involved the #11 from the Canucks or #18 from the Jets.

Either way, Sanheim's value isnt looking as strong as Philly might have been hoping for. Sanheim's 8yr 6.25 cap hit starts this season which inlcuded a NTC and

Reactions: wings95

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Probably was boeser + 11 considering boeser has almost no value. Briere is smart to call Vancouver though.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
11 + Boeser for Sanheim?

Ha get out of here. That's rich

I doubt its that,

There were lots of trade down rumors swirling in Van before the draft.

Id suspect the rejected offer is something like this.

11th + Garland

for

22nd and Sanheim

or

Schmidt + 18th

for

Sanheim and 51st

Canucks and Jets both smart to not trade for Sanheim and that contract imo

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It seems silly to turn down but we don’t know what the + is. And it’s always a bad sign when a team is trying to move someone before they’ve even started an 8 year contract

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Garland straight across would be something I would possibly consider. Canucks take on roughly 1.5 mil extra for three years to trade Garland into Sanheim, then have 5 years at the full 6.25. 21/22 Sanheim would be fully worth that, but he had a rough year last year, so the Canucks are taking on a whole lot of risk.

Flyers wouldn't do it though.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Garland straight across would be something I would possibly consider. Canucks take on roughly 1.5 mil extra for three years to trade Garland into Sanheim, then have 5 years at the full 6.25. 21/22 Sanheim would be fully worth that, but he had a rough year last year, so the Canucks are taking on a whole lot of risk.

Flyers wouldn't do it though.

Why pay for Sanehim, who imo is a 4-5-6, when Free Agency shows us we can buy guys like Soucy-Cole for 3mil or less without having to commit long long term.

massive 8 year contract commitments should be specifically used only on top pairing Dmen.

Sanheim is closely trending towards OEL trajectory.

Reactions: Flair Hay

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sanheim can be good but coming off a bad year with an 8-year contract extension about to kick in - I’m not surprised that he’s in that bad contract purgatory.

That’s not to say he’s a bad player or that the AAV is that terrible - but let’s read the landscape here…mid-tier players you are locked into until they are 35 is not a place you want to be to maximize asset return.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Vancouver’s GM has figured out that you don’t sign long term contracts with non core players and you surely don’t acquire long term contracts on other teams letterhead… on these non core players those other teams want to offload onto you.

I think most of us hate 7-8 year deals. The CBA should cap deals at 5 years. As the NBA did. It would improve the sport. The players can then push for a higher salary cap floor to keep owners honest.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Probably was boeser + 11 considering boeser has almost no value. Briere is smart to call Vancouver though.
Servelli who is a hack tweeted he has little value but there's also our own GM who said there was a lot of hockey type trades but due to the flat cap and at the time nucks needing space, a deal didn't make sense but he absolutely has value even if he's overpaid by a million.

I assume you are a flyers fan?
Well Brock and Konecny are same age, deals expire the same year but Brock makes 800k more.

BROCK - 398GP - 139 GOALS - 172 ASSISTS - 311 POINTS - 31 .78PPG

TRAVIS - 488GP - 141 GOALS- 191- ASSISTS - 332 POINTS - 30 - .68PPG

so if Brock has negative value WTF is Travis worth then?

Brock has injury issues there's no doubt about it but he's still averaged 34 goals a season and while pace isn't equal to actually doing it every season, he still has 139 goals in 311 games.

I would be curious as to where that ranks.

Again I'm not trying to push Brock on another team, I actually prefer we keep him, I'm only showing people that when he's healthy he's a very productive player and lots of GMs in a non flat cap environment would see value in those numbers.

As for the actual interview Dregs wasn't even sure what player they would take back to make the cap work, it could have been Myers just as easily. Regardless,
It didn't sound like a cap dump plus something of value coming back to the flyers, more like getting what little value they could get while getting out of the rest of his contract.

Anyone thinking Vancouver or Winnipeg would be giving up anything significant should listen to the radio hit

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
How many cautionary tales need to be told before GMs stop giving out mega-length deals?
I reckon the problem here is that they let Fletcher leave them with an eight-year parting gift before being fired, which the new GM immediately wanted to offload. Sanheim is not a bad defenseman, but that's not a way to manage a team.

I could have been convinced to take Sanheim for a very small price, but come to think of it, it's probably for the better that we didn't get him. And if the price had anything to do with pick #18 on its own (i.e. not a pick swap or anything), then it's great that Chevy said no.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Vancouver’s GM has figured out that you don’t sign long term contracts with non core players and you surely don’t acquire long term contracts on other teams letterhead… on these non core players those other teams want to offload onto you.

I think most of us hate 7-8 year deals. The CBA should cap deals at 5 years. As the NBA did. It would improve the sport. The players can then push for a higher salary cap floor to keep owners honest.
Maybe do something where each team is allowed to have 1 or 2 8 year contracts max at a time, sort of like a franchise player tag.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Servelli who is a hack tweeted he has little value but there's also our own GM who said there was a lot of hockey type trades but due to the flat cap and at the time nucks needing space, a deal didn't make sense but he absolutely has value even if he's overpaid by a million.

I assume you are a flyers fan?
Well Brock and Konecny are same age, deals expire the same year but Brock makes 800k more.

BROCK - 398GP - 139 GOALS - 172 ASSISTS - 311 POINTS - 31 .78PPG

TRAVIS - 488GP - 141 GOALS- 191- ASSISTS - 332 POINTS - 30 - .68PPG

so if Brock has negative value WTF is Travis worth then?

Brock has injury issues there's no doubt about it but he's still averaged 34 goals a season and while pace isn't equal to actually doing it every season, he still has 139 goals in 311 games.

I would be curious as to where
Boeser has literally never scored 30, so saying he averages 34 goals a season is disingenuous. The same way konency isn't a 40 40 guy from last season. Boesers injury history and how it has impacted his game cannot be glossed over. I am not a flyers fan.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

I truly believe this would make the game better indeed. Too many players get the big payday and then float.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Sanheim is not the guy Canucks need. Torts ripped him pretty bad at the end of the season for not being nearly good enough and having no consistency.

Don't know what happened to him, he looked very promising. Hopefully he can bounce back and rebuild his game.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Someone should come out with a ranked list of Negative value contracts:

Sanheim and Boeser would be on it, but so would 10-20% of the current contracts in the NHL.

Reactions: me2

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I think both Boeser and Sanheim would greatly benefit from a change of team. I have to think it would be the Flyers to add an incentive in a 1 for 1 evaluation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad