Post-Game Talk: Canucks 6 Dallas 3 (Miller x 2, Pettersson, Horvat, Podkolzin, Brock Boeser)

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I think removing Chiasson from the PP is what helped it click.

Send him to Abbotsford, or better yet loan him to a rivals farm team.

I can't wait for Motte, Highmore and, I hate to say it, Sutter to be our 4th line.

I really never understood the idea behind giving Chiasson significant role on this team. Did nobody think to look at his past stats playing on a very shallow Oilers forward group? What was idea, that he’d suddenly be more productive on the power play now that he wasn’t playing with Mcdavid?

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I don't exactly disagree. Boeser did manage to stay healthy last year and he once again was averaging 30+ goals over 82 games. He has 4 in 9 now. Basically 19-20 is the only season where he didn't scoring at a 30+ goal over 82 games rate since he came into the league. It's hard to argue against that type of production. The question then is whether Boeser can regularly play close to a full season and the cost of re-signing him.

Petey is normally an absolute possession monster.

Boeser does find a way to get goals. He's a creative offensive player. I think that's why he'll have real value to a team that struggles to score. He's a very marketable athlete who would be perfect for a market like Minnesota or Columbus.

In a perfect world we would keep Boeser because he's an elite goal scorer, but he's not going to give this team a discount after getting a bridge deal last time. Since the team has limited assets and is poorly constructed Boeser and Miller seem like the prime bargaining chips the organization has to address those issues.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I really never understood the idea behind giving Chiasson significant role on this team. Did nobody think to look at his past stats playing on a very shallow Oilers forward group? What was idea, that he’d suddenly be more productive on the power play now that he wasn’t playing with Mcdavid?
if i had to guess, they just wanted another veteran body in the their lineup after sutter and motte weren't there to start the season so they just went and grabbed whoever they could get

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Plenty of people did. No one that matters (to the organization) did however.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Boeser does find a way to get goals. He's a creative offensive player. I think that's why he'll have real value to a team that struggles to score. He's a very marketable athlete who would be perfect for a market like Minnesota or Columbus.

In a perfect world we would keep Boeser because he's an elite goal scorer, but he's not going to give this team a discount after getting a bridge deal last time. Since the team has limited assets and is poorly constructed Boeser and Miller seem like the prime bargaining chips the organization has to address those issues.

I think if Boeser is looking for $8M+ we should walk away and try to lock up Hoglander for Garland type money.

Reactions: B-rock

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021

You see, the problem is we have an AHL level Head Coach who loves to overplay vets and give them a huge leash, while punishing any young player who tries to show any creativity beyond dump and chase hockey.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Really exciting game with a swiss cheese defensive strategy. I'll take it over the boring crap the first 10 games. We are not, and never will be with our current roster, a defensively stingy team. Play to your strengths, which is offensive transition. We won't go far with it, but at least it's entertaining.

Best players for me:
JT Miller:- Man when he is on he is so dang good. A force, and so smart the way he switched around on the PP to take EPs spot and show a different look. Just a beast physically and on the faceoffs.

Hughes:- Keeps proving he can play solid D and still produce world class offense. He is tilting the ice everytime he is on the ice.

Garland, Hoglander: - combined these two. Two angry little elves. My favourite two forwards and just a buzzsaw. Lock up Hoglander to an extension now! Don't procrastinate again Benning!

Demko:- Nothing needs to be said here.

Podz:- Keeps learning and soaking it in. Wicked shot.

Bad:
Myers:- He was sooo good the first 9 games. What happened? How can a player swing from good to terrible just on the flip of a switch? I don't get it. It thought he had finally cleaned up his garbage defensive game. Should scratch him for a few, but Greens vet privilege will not allow that to happen. Oh yeah and no defensive depth.
Felt bad OEL had to carry his butt the whole game and prevent Myers from singlehandedly losing the game for us.

Reactions: Indiana

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Really exciting game with a swiss cheese defensive strategy. I'll take it over the boring crap the first 10 games. We are not, and never will be with our current roster, a defensively stingy team. Play to your strengths, which is offensive transition. We won't go far with it, but at least it's entertaining.

Best players for me:
JT Miller:- Man when he is on he is so dang good. A force, and so smart the way he switched around on the PP to take EPs spot and show a different look. Just a beast physically and on the faceoffs.

Hughes:- Keeps proving he can play solid D and still produce world class offense. He is tilting the ice everytime he is on the ice.

Garland, Hoglander: - combined these two. Two angry little elves. My favourite two forwards and just a buzzsaw. Lock up Hoglander to an extension now! Don't procrastinate again Benning!

Demko:- Nothing needs to be said here.

Podz:- Keeps learning and soaking it in. Wicked shot.

Bad:
Myers:- He was sooo good the first 9 games. What happened? How can a player swing from good to terrible just on the flip of a switch? I don't get it. It thought he had finally cleaned up his garbage defensive game. Should scratch him for a few, but Greens vet privilege will not allow that to happen. Oh yeah and no defensive depth.
Felt bad OEL had to carry his butt the whole game and prevent Myers from singlehandedly losing the game for us.

this happened in 19-20 with the edler-giraffe pairing

literally the exact same thing

that's why i wasn't expecting sustainability

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I think removing Chiasson from the PP is what helped it click.

Send him to Abbotsford, or better yet loan him to a rivals farm team.

I can't wait for Motte, Highmore and, I hate to say it, Sutter to be our 4th line.
Sutter is probably planning his post hockey life as we speak after finessing our moron of a GM out of another million dollars.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think if Boeser is looking for $8M+ we should walk away and try to lock up Hoglander for Garland type money.

I think Svechnikov is a decent comparable for Boeser, and that contract should represent the top end of the deal. Boeser at 8 years / 7.5mil doesn’t sound too bad to me.

Hoglander on the other hand certainly hasn’t earned Garland money. Garland had two seasons of legit top 6 production, Hoglander has a season of bottom 6 production, and so far this year he is on pace for around 30 points. They eye test suggests he’s improved, but as of right now, Hoglander at anything close to 5mil is awful.

Reactions: bh53 and Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 10-game stats are out and as we surmised, Demko is leading the league in terms of 'high quality chances' faced as well as shots on goal.

Demmer has been lights out so far this season, and for the Canucks to have any choice of winning, he has to be spectacular game in and game out. 'Average' goaltending won't get it done for this Canucks team.

I guess the Canucks can count their lucky stars they have a guy who's rapidly morphing into an elite goalie. The only thing that bothers me is the laissez faire attitude of the coaching staff, when it comes to explaining why Demko has to face 8-10 high danger chances every night. "That's a good team over there."

Let's face it, that desperation paddle save on Jamie Benn will live on in the goalie highlight packages all season. But if Demko doesn't make that save, the Canucks go down 0-2 in the game and the narrative on these boards would likely be totally different.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I think Svechnikov is a decent comparable for Boeser, and that contract should represent the top end of the deal. Boeser at 8 years / 7.5mil doesn’t sound too bad to me.

Hoglander on the other hand certainly hasn’t earned Garland money. Garland had two seasons of legit top 6 production, Hoglander has a season of bottom 6 production, and so far this year he is on pace for around 30 points. They eye test suggests he’s improved, but as of right now, Hoglander at anything close to 5mil is awful.
Hoglander had top 6 even strength production last year. One point behind Miller and Horvat, and only Boeser had more than them. He was worth 5mil last year and probably will be this year as well. Not saying that's what he should get on his next contract but he's really not producing at bottom six rates.

Garland's contract also bought 3 UFA years but then again Garland is underpaid.

Reactions: Jimnastic

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sutter is probably planning his post hockey life as we speak after finessing our moron of a GM out of another million dollars.
When the boob keeps giving milk, you keep squeezing till it’s dry.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Did this literally happen in the very next game? :laugh:
You know what they say about 'patting yourself on the back', don't you?

You grow hair on your palms...;)

Edit: oops...different self love.
Good call though!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Honestly the comparables to me are scary. I'm not sure I would do 8 years / $7.5M for Boeser. It's a big commitment and likely around what is needed to get it done +/- $500K.

Well obviously if Hoglander is just a 30 point player this season he's not likely to be extended early for $5M AAV. If he doesn't put up legit top 6 production by the end of his ELC then again, he's not likely to be re-signed to a $5M AAV long term deal. He's likely going to get a bridge deal.

We're obviously just projecting here. The eye tests suggests that in term of possession and generating offensive chances, Hoglander has been very good. I hope that his counting stats would come around.

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
Canucks can count their lucky stars they have a guy who's rapidly morphing into an elite goalie
Oilers fans are just astounded at how spoiled we are in the goalie department.

Seemingly pulling Vezina-calibre goalies out of our asses, for years. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad