Post-Game Talk: Canucks 6 Dallas 3 (Miller x 2, Pettersson, Horvat, Podkolzin, Brock Boeser)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks clean up the Holtbyless Stars 6-3. Entertaining offensive game PEPPERRED with defensive blowouts but good to see PBP and Miller have good game COUPLED with Podz and the Hog having fantastic games. Lammikko looking to go 82 games with ZERO points, lets make it happen. And then this guy:

Man I love this team :yo:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Guess i should put this here...
Player summary for me

Excellent - Demko Miller Horvat Hughes Garland
Demko saved at least 3 easy goals is rapidly becoming a star. Miller carried the offense and had some solid PK work made direct solid plays all night and was on a mission. Horvat finally broke out tonight and was a load to handle for the Stars...still needs to be better at defending his zone but his line drove the bus 5v5. Hughes is just simply tilting the ice having a great year and Garland was buzzing and creating havoc plus that no look feed...awesome stuff

good - Pettersson Pearson Hoglander Podkolzin
Pettersson still needs better puck protection and to be a 5 v 5 threat but made some strides again and had 3 points. Pearson after a bit of a slow start was feeding off Bo well and really helping defensively and in the cycle. Their line led the charge. Hoglander is really fun to watch when he's buzzing like tonight. was giving Dallas fits trying to contain him. Podkolzin was really looking good until that k on k by Faksa which took some steam out of him. The goal was a complete snipe show. pisses me off no one defends that type of crap with some push back. Hope he's ok was glad he finished the game and got some pop in his stride back later on

ok - Boeser Poolman Hamonic Lammikko
Boeser was completely disinterested in playing any defense at all in this one and had some careless puck management. Was ok because i though he moved the puck well for the most part on offense and was a good net front presence....hopefully the Chaisson troll by Green is finally over. Poolman and Hamonic both had a couple moments where they got pushed back a little easy and put pucks into trouble and had it come back at us but both were strong on the cycle and down low and play within themselves for the most part. Lammikko had a fairly tidy game even though he added nothing offensively and got pinned a few times. His wingers were not helping today.

Poor - OEL Myers Dickinson Dowling Bailey Burroughs
OEL well lets hope this is not where the shine comes off because he was pretty damn poor tonight. Passing was off and his defensive positioning and reads were not good either. Myers was mostly the same although i will give Myers credit for getting stuck in at least and some good PK work. Dickinson has been a ghost outside of a couple games. I liked this pick up as he always seemed like a decent complimentary player when i watched him in Dallas but i'm not sure what he brings here yet and his hands have been terrible. Dowling i kinda like as a 13/14 guy. Has a head for the game and can surprise from time to time with clever offensive plays. Tonight he was not sharp and he has to be to have any chance in the NHL Burroughs i like his moxy but the NHL is definitely a stretch for him and Bailey has such a great athletic package. Size Speed a decent shot but man oh man was tonight's game a disaster. Just completely clueless. Deserved to be benched

Team summary

Wins a Win but you wont win enough to be a playoff team playing like that. This team refuses to make the opposition fight for time and space and the 3rd forward to support the defense is mostly nowhere to be found or too slow to pick it up. Liked the adjustments in movement and aggressiveness with both the PP and PK. Lastly we are so friggen soft and easy to play against. I really cannot wait for the team to play Calgary....that should be really interesting with the characters they have and the way Sutter has them competing for space​

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Guys it’s a game who cares about the way we play or long term sustainability or anything other than tonight. We won so that means you automatically qualify for the playoffs everytime you win, and no Stanley cup champs ever played good team defense consistently

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
This was the most UN-impressive win I've seen in a long time. It was fire wagon hockey with the only reason they won was a functioning power play. Who knew taking Chiasson off the PP after 12 games would make a difference.

Still the same multiple 1-on-2 chances, Dallas had about a dozen Grade A chances and without Demko it would have been a 5-5 game going into OT for the loser point.

But hey like a casual, I will embrace the win and the fact they sit second last in the division.

Green insisting on a new defensive focus when this team is so run and gun will be his ultimate downfall.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the powerplay came alive who knew that after 10 games are so, movement in the special teams department works wonders. teh big boys came out to play. hopefully they take that into the next game. just score at least 2/3 goals on special teams and the team will win most nights. that sick no look pass by garland to podzilla was filthy

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Guys it’s a game who cares about the way we play or long term sustainability or anything other than tonight. We won so that means you automatically qualify for the playoffs everytime you win, and no Stanley cup champs ever played good team defense consistently
We are fans, other people are paid to worry about that. We feel the pain when we lose why can we not be happy when we win? What is the point of being a fan if you have all the worry and disappointment with none of the joy. Let Dallas fans suffer today and us rejoice until Tuesday when we do it all again.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
the powerplay came alive who knew that after 10 games are so, movement in the special teams department works wonders. teh big boys came out to play. hopefully they take that into the next game. just score at least 2/3 goals on special teams and the team will win most nights. that sick no look pass by garland to podzilla was filthy

The best part is that is coming from our…third line. When have we last had a third line that can legitimately be an offensive threat? I’m really hoping Green sticks with these lines.

As for our useless 4th line, Green needs to stop using them after a goal and in the last minute of periods.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I loved what I saw from the PP. The movement and switching positions made a huge difference. The PK wasn't able to pressure the puck carrier nearly as much. Pettersson and Hughs switching spots so Pettersson could shoot from the high slot money. Miller skating behind the net, into Pettersson's position and scoring on the one timer was money. More of that please.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Really fun game to attend...

Watching Garlard off the puck was entertaining.... He remains in a crouched power position... Like he's ready to explode to where he needs to go... And he goes.. quickly. That no look pass was weird and unreal... He really is like a more skilled Burrows on cocaine.. his board work was awesome, and just amazing how he comes out with the puck

Hughes had the worst game I've ever seen handling the puck. So many bobbles and unclean touches.... Killed momentum and zone possession a few times.
As I kept saying - he needed to pull his head out of his ass. Then you see 3 assists at the end of the day... Really? Ha..

Demko was unreal...watching him make those saves made my groin hurt.

Boeser... Felt like he didn't win any board battles... Didn't get to any on time. He is so slow and seemingly useless when not in a half court setting. I'm fully on the 'Trade Boeser' team. Is there a team? Empty net goal was nice.

Poolman is a grinder. High effort player. He made a lot of lil break ups and blocks.. bumped people trying to make plays... He was decent.

That Pettersson goal was jaw dropping. I could not believe it found a lane to the top corner... Like how? Came home and watched it on PVR and still... As a leftie, he flung it back his right, top corner, passed a 5 man stack of players.

Burroughs is just not NHL caliber. I really wanted to like him after how he started the season and was so physical... The decision making and game IQ is not there. Basic things like stick positioning - are just not there.

I stayed quiet for the most part when people were praising Bailey when he came back. I didn't get it at the time.. I still don't see anything in this kid that makes me want him in a lineup.

Lots to like.. Pearson. That shift leading to the Horvat goal was great. Miller, Horvat... The Leaders. Good games...

But the nicest revelation.... Podkolzin!
You can virtually see the progression. You see his confidence brewing. He knows what he's doing physically.. Know how to leverage and keep strong on his skates.. he could have had a 3 pt night as well..

Next up... The Ducks!

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Lots to like.. Pearson. That shift leading to the Horvat goal was great.

i really really don't like pearson at all, but he was good in this game. on that shift specifically, shades of prime higgins working the boards.

and that one garland shift where he fell down and kept handling the puck... vintage tim hardaway.

Reactions: Indiana

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Honestly, it looks like the PP unit said f*** you to the coaching and just drew up the plan themselves. I think Petey/Miller even said something along these lines, no?

If so, that's about how it goes for our coaching staff.

Reactions: bh53

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Really fun game to attend...

Watching Garlard off the puck was entertaining.... He remains in a crouched power position... Like he's ready to explode to where he needs to go... And he goes.. quickly. That no look pass was weird and unreal... He really is like a more skilled Burrows on cocaine.. his board work was awesome, and just amazing how he comes out with the puck

Hughes had the worst game I've ever seen handling the puck. So many bobbles and unclean touches.... Killed momentum and zone possession a few times.
As I kept saying - he needed to pull his head out of his ass. Then you see 3 assists at the end of the day... Really? Ha..

Demko was unreal...watching him make those saves made my groin hurt.

Boeser... Felt like he didn't win any board battles... Didn't get to any on time. He is so slow and seemingly useless when not in a half court setting. I'm fully on the 'Trade Boeser' team. Is there a team? Empty net goal was nice.

Poolman is a grinder. High effort player. He made a lot of lil break ups and blocks.. bumped people trying to make plays... He was decent.

That Pettersson goal was jaw dropping. I could not believe it found a lane to the top corner... Like how? Came home and watched it on PVR and still... As a leftie, he flung it back his right, top corner, passed a 5 man stack of players.

Burroughs is just not NHL caliber. I really wanted to like him after how he started the season and was so physical... The decision making and game IQ is not there. Basic things like stick positioning - are just not there.

I stayed quiet for the most part when people were praising Bailey when he came back. I did get it at the time.. I still don't see anything in this kid that makes me want him in a lineup.

Lots to like.. Pearson. That shift leading to the Horvat goal was great. Miller, Horvat... The Leaders. Good games...

But the nicest revelation.... Podkolzin!
You can virtually see the progression. You see his confidence brewing. He knows what he's doing physically.. Know how to leverage and keep strong on his skates.. he could have had a 3 pt night as well..

Next up... The Ducks!

Agreed with most of what you said. Canucks were again the better team 5 v 5 last night. Still prone to defensive miscues. But for Demko!

Garland can stick handle on his knees as well as anyone I've seen.

I thought Hughes was fine. He sometimes does bobble the puck but he handles the puck a ton. Overall, I thought he did his thing and controlled play. He was definitely a net positive on the ice. I think he's having a strong seasons so far.

Boeser didn't have a good game, but let's not forget the goal he scored the previous game. His ability to stay healthy and the price to extend him is going to be critical. He was arguably our best forward last season. At the end of the day he does have 4 goals in 9 games to start this season. Take away 19-20 and he's been remarkably consistent season to season.

I definitely like Poolman's effort. He was playing with a lot of confidence last game. He is prone to bobbling the puck at the blueline but he's the most steady defenseman we have on the right side IMO.

Burroughs I am willing to reserve my judgment. He's playing out of position with Hamonic and getting their signals crossed.

Myers had some decent moments with the puck on his stick but he had a poor game.

Petey and Pods' snipes. What else can be said?

Bailey with Virtanen's defensive positioning and defensive IQ might actually be a much better player and that says a lot.

Is Lammikko dragging his linemates down? Every game our 4th line sucks and he's been the one constant. If and when we get Motte back, I'll move Dowling to the middle. Actually, why not try Dowling in the middle? Could really use a healthy Sutter back. At this point, Dries deserves a callup.

Hoglander is what drives Horvat's line.

Reactions: Indiana

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018

I love Boeser. He seems like an awesome person. And is anyone else is as good at beating goalies when they have a bit of time and space? But he doesn't drive the play enough, and this is an issue that plagues this team. I would be sad to see him go but if we can flip him for a RH defender to play with Hughs or OEL I think the team would benefit a lot. Getting Garland locked into a good contract also helps lessen the blow of losing Boeser.

Reactions: DL44

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I love Boeser. He seems like an awesome person. And is anyone else is as good at beating goalies when they have a bit of time and space? But he doesn't drive the play enough, and this is an issue that plagues this team. I would be sad to see him go but if we can flip him for a RH defender to play with Hughs or OEL I think the team would benefit a lot. Getting Garland locked into a good contract also helps lessen the blow of losing Boeser.
Also If Podkolzin emerges like he appears to be.... would also help mitigate the scoring loss of Boeser.

And if Hoglander can find some more accuracy and power on his shot - that would also be a significant gamechanger for his scoring potential. Outstanding game handling the puck, retaining and skating to open spaces... great dangle thru everyone to set up Pearson... But the only thing missing was a threatening shot on goal... It's a huge hole in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad