Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4 Flames 2 (Hoglander, Hoglander, Miller, Lindholm)

Do you love this team?

• Total voters

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Been a long time since they were on top of the league this late in the season.

But we've been through enough to not be cocky about it I think. We are counting our blessings, hopeful but not unrealistic. I still think any Canucks success in the postseason will come as a surprise to most - I don't hear many pundits talking about the Canucks as a major threat. I think that's good. Let them be surprising.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who the heck is this other guy? He's like a really useless Scott Oak echo. And just try to imagine a more useless thing to echo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who cut you Conor? Who did it? Tell us now on Television. Can you show us on the doll where they cut you?

Also the question about swapping sticks with Zaddy really bent my mind. I'm taller than Garland, but still always played with a longer stick for my height. But it's funny when it's done this way around where i think the defenceman would do better with the wrong-hand but longer stick. Compared to a forward with the longer stick. But that's the opposite of the question so lol. Zadorov skating around with a tiny forward's wrong handed stick is hilarious. I guess at least Garland with Zadorovs two feet too long wrong curve stick could maybe make it work defensively at least to not be a total mess in that regard. But lol puckhandling. I'd also reckon Zaddy has a less extreme curve, but idk.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not their best effort and team needed some good saves and some luck around the net to preserve the win.

Good

Zadorov - thought he was far and away their best d-man. Just ruled at his blue line forcing everything wide and deadending the play in the corner. Rushed and moved the puck with authority. I'd say a must keep and with more emphasis on off season training and more work with Canuck defense coaches, we're talking perhaps a game controlling player. The skill and athletism are all there.

Garland - plays so consistently well. Worked better with Pettersson in this one. Game in, game out he produces.

Pettersson - good two way game. However, you wish that he would hit holes a little better and not get so tied up by engaging so much with the d-men. If he calms down and just seek out open space Garland is going to find him. Less is sometimes better with Petterssson

Hoglander - becoming a top offensive player on the team. Has talent and quickness. If he continues with his development then he will be a huge cap bonus next year.

deSmith - very good game. Only thing beating him was tips off his own defensemen. Watching Pearson the other night, you have to conclude the deSmith trade was a complete steal.

Mikheyev - his forcheck has become a key weapon. Using the body more and a big contributor to the good defensive game the team is playing.

Hronek - had to put out some fires around his net and was getting to loose pucks. Did a lot of covering back for others and moved puck well

Bad

Juulsen - stunk. Continually had trouble getting the puck out and alot of the Flames rallies started with a Juulsen poor attempt at clearing his zone. Got standing around in the crease forcing deSmith to force his away around him to see or get to the puck. Tried to do too much sometimes leading to poor turnovers. Best thing the Flames had going for them in this game was Juulsen.

Others

Blueger - invaluable PK man. In a way good that he isn't scoring since easier for the team to get him back

Boeser - if he is not scoring he can't help you meaning the contract hurts. Player like Garland doesn't have to score to help b/c he breaks up plays in every zone, can play thru traffic and can skate with the puck. Will continue to insist that if they can move Boeser in the off season and use the money to keep defensemen like Zadorov and Hronek this team will be better off. Hoglander maybe able to assume Boeser's role next season. And hopefully Podkolzin is able to assume some of what Hoglander does. Plus you get whatever you can get in trade for Boeser. Boeser is trying to play two way hockey but I don't think it there at anything near a high level.. If he tries to focus on defense, he can't get up ice to score, and if his focus is on offense then he can't get back to defend. That's the way I see it.

Little like Kumenko - who just didn't seem to be in the play in this one. Glad to see the fans salute him - one of the most likeable players ever. Also glad again to hear the Miller salute (people know where it's at). Not Miller's best game but put the hammer down on the late PP.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hoglander doing Hoglander things

Miller with the dagger

Hughes could not score another point this season and should still have all 3 Norris nominations

EP picking it up at the right time

Nice to see Kuz look dangerous, special player around the net. Can't teach that. Look for a big 3rd season from him, wherever that may be. Looks like he may have bulked too much for his sophomore year ala Boeser. Guy is wider than the Hogs.

Oilers board lol.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_0518.jpeg

@SopelFanThe3rd

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Well that was a fun game. Took my 10yo niece to her first hockey game and I'm glad the boys gave us something to cheer about.

Pettersson's line was buzzing. Hoglander looked like a young Sidney Crosby with the leg-kick, backhand deke. Here's hoping that Pettersson and Garland can continue to find their chemistry and throw the puck around nicely. Big hit from Zadorov was also impressive.

Some of the Flames fans sittung behind us were pretty obnoxious so it felt good to celebrate hard when Miller ripped that shot home for the 3rd goal. JT MILLER chants were perfect. Suck it Phaneuf!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad