• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
One Frankie Vats to the back of the knee...

panthers-lightning-hockey.jpg

= no Luongo for Saturday's game

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks drink too many tropical rum drinks and snooze through the first, never coming back from their early two goal deficit. Pettersson with the only goal for the Canucks, because he has an earlier bed time.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Petterson has drastically improved his faceoff skills in a very short period... but then again you realize that we have Malhotra coaching with the team now. Glad Malhotra was able to land a gig with the Canucks, that eye injury he suffered playing for the Canucks still gives me goosebumps.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Team is already ahead of expectations so far this trip. Points are flowing.

Keep up the bend no break approach...
Maybe they can take like 10 penalties this game.. really test ourselves. Get Granny over 26 mins.

Reactions: alternate

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
4-3 Panthers OUR goals by Eriksson Sutter and Pouliot

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
You know, after having reflected. Sutter at 4.2 Million is a pretty good deal. I think the criticism we had on him was unwarranted in past seasons because he was put in a offensive role and we had no one else. He has been a great shutdown center for us the past 2 seasons and can contribute at least 35-50 points a season, also have some leadership qualities in him.

There I have made my peace with Sutter.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You know, after having reflected. Sutter at 4.2 Million is a pretty good deal. I think the criticism we had on him was unwarranted in past seasons because he was put in a offensive role and we had no one else. He has been a great shutdown center for us the past 2 seasons and can contribute at least 35-50 points a season, also have some leadership qualities in him.

He hasn't put up 35 points in a season in a decade. He put up 34 here while playing a different role.

But yes. As a 20 point, shutdown centre he is only overpaid slightly.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

It was still a bad contract at the time, but the NHL contracts/salary cap have caught up to Sutter and he is probably paid close to fair at that rate as of now. If Benning plays it correctly (he won't) he is the type of player that will get an excellent package at the trade deadline either next year or the season after, particularly if they retain salary.

Reactions: THE Green Man

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I feel like Goldobin and Erickson find the back of the net with Petterssen oozing sexual magic and getting 4 apples

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I feel like unless Markstrom or Nilsson can stand on their head again, this one likely ends in a loss. Hopefully we manage to score a few in the effort - ideally Boeser's floodgates open up.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He hasn't put up 35 points in a season in a decade. He put up 34 here while playing a different role.

But yes. As a 20 point, shutdown centre he is only overpaid slightly.

Brandon Sutter

career average (minus rookie year)
179 in 445 = 33 pts avg p/82

as a Canuck
71 in 166 = 35 pts avg p/82

and yes once Gaudette can handle 3C duties they can move him for assets

Reactions: Grantham

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Brandon Sutter

career average (minus rookie year)
179 in 445 = 33 pts avg p/82

as a Canuck
71 in 166 = 35 pts avg p/82

Right. So acting like 35 points is his floor rather than ceiling is pretty ridiculous, no? Especially since he only did that while playing a different role than he's playing now (one he's much better at)

What are his totals as a shutdown centre?

Reactions: geebaan and m9

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Right. So acting like 35 points is his floor rather than ceiling is pretty ridiculous, no? Especially since he only did that while playing a different role than he's playing now (one he's much better at)

What are his totals as a shutdown centre?
its been the same his whole career.
last year he averaged 35pts in a pure shut down PK role he has played 90% of his career. As long as he plays btm 6 he is a highly effective player and 35pts from the 3C role is very good to excellent

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

There is a good argument that Sutter's overpayment is no longer as serious as it was when signed in August, 2015 or when it took effect at the beginning of the 2016 season, there is no way that $4.375 million is a "great deal" for a defensive 3rd line center, even one who can contribute a bit on offence.

Also, there are small errors in the facts stated in your post.

1. He doesn't contribute 35-50 pts a season as a shutdown center. He's only been over 34 pts once in his career and that was nine years ago at the age of 20. He's never been over 40 pts in a season. Last season, when Green had him as a shutdown center he got 26, and he's never been close to that usage in any other season, though he has been given more defensive than offensive responsibilities.

2. He makes $4.375 million this season and will make $4.5 each of the next two, not $4.2 as you say.

3. In 2016-17 Sutter split defensive responsibilities with Horvat, each starting a majority of the time in the defensive zone. Sutter had substantial power play time that season. I think it is only one season in which he's been used as a true shutdown center, the year before being somewhat balanced though with more emphasis on defence.

You can see the difference in his FO%. In 2016-17 he started 43.8% in the offensive zone, in 2017-18 22.6% (both times ignoring neutral zone faceoffs, all figures from hockey-reference.com.)
1. He was used as a shutdown center last season under Green, but his usage was at least somewhat balanced the season before under Desjardins.

There's also no way you can label his success defensively as "great" for 2016-17.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
its been the same his whole career.
last year he averaged 35pts in a pure shut down PK role he has played 90% of his career. As long as he plays btm 6 he is a highly effective player and 35pts from the 3C role is very good to excellent

That is a complete misstatement of the facts.

Last season he scored 26 pts, he did not average 35 pts. In fact, only once in his career has he ever gotten to 35 (he scored 40 as a 20 year old.) 35 pts from a 3rd line center would be great, but that’s not what Sutter does.

He has never before in his career started so little of the time in the offensive zone. It isn’t remotely close. Using hockey-reference.com, which doesn’t include neutral zone faceoffs, he started 22.6% of the time in the offensive zone. Previously he’d always been over 40% except for one season with Carolina (34) and one with Pittsburgh (37.9) and twice he’d started more times in the offensive zone than the defensive zone (as a Carolina rookie and in his shortened 2015-16 season with the Canucks when they were trying to use him as an offensive player.)

There’s a difference between fairly balance usage with more time on defence than offence and use as a true shutdown player with very little offensive usage, as Sutter got last season.

It’s completely false to say he’s had 90% of the time as a shutdown/PK player. He’s had power play time throughout his career except his 19 year old rookie season in Carolina and this past season with the Canucks. In 2016-17 he had a higher % of his points come from the power play than Sven Baertschi.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Roussel skated with Horvat and Boeser in practice. Motte/Granlund took turns rotating on the 4th line, while Leipsic appears to be the odd man out.

If Roussel is activated and put into the rotation for tomorrow, someone needs to hit waivers - Leipsic appears to be the candidate for that right now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I can't even remember the last time the Canucks won in Florida...Its been a few years..

The forwards have to stop taking lazy penalties in the ozone..Holding,Slashing.....The PK has been a bright spot so far this season (Beagle,Granlund,Sutter,Motte),but in both of our wins,the goalie has had to play lights out.

The Canucks transition game has to improve..Against Tampa,the goaltending,PK were really good..and the D held in there..We were just waiting for the offensive skill players to show up (which they finally did in the 3rd).

It would be pretty awesome to sweep both games in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad