quinnhughesusa.jpg

1. Quinn Hughes, D, Vancouver
(166/183 votes - 90.7%)
2018 rank - 2nd

Added Jack Rathbone

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
As soon as Quinn Hughes graduates, this is probably a bottom-10 prospect pool in the league.

The same can probably be said about most NHL teams. Considering the quality of players that have left our prospect pool over the last couple of years it is not surprising we would fall down the list. Not many teams have brought in a Pettersson and a Boeser over the last 2 years and still maintain a top 10 prospect pool.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm interested to hear from the folks who voted Demko. Why is he ahead of Podkolzin? Closer to the NHL?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Last year, people were way more excited about the pool. It felt like there were far more high-end options: Petey, Hughes, Demko, OJ (though he had started to slip), Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind (before the shine came off), Goldy, DiPietro were all considered 'sure things'. Guys like Gadjovich, Palmu, Woo, and Jasek were all coming off of promising years, and were considered to have real upside.

I know some of those guys have graduated, but it feels like more of them (OJ, Dahlen/Karlsson, Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Jasek) really took downward turns this year, and that has negatively readjusted our perspective. None of the prospects we already had - save Woo, Madden, and maybe Rathbone - had a positive uptick this past year.

Reactions: Fraser28

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Voted Tyler Madden as my dark-horse candidate, but obviously not many agreeing with me. But his rookie season in the NCAA was beyond impressive. If he shows anything similar to his draft year-plus-one overall improvement this coming season, he's easily in the top-four and maybe even second overall.

Reactions: lindgren

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Probably the single most frustrating aspect of being the worst team cumulatively over a 4 year period.

And dropping in the draft every year. Plus the graduation of 2 high impact players. Despite being the worst team over a 4 year stretch we never picked better than 5oa. I think that is a fair consideration.

I did read somewhere that we were no longer the worst team over the past 4 years. Jumped up 1 whole spot. Admittingly I have not done the math myself.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
As soon as Quinn Hughes graduates, this is probably a bottom-10 prospect pool in the league.
I mean we’ve graduated quite a lot of players in the past few years. Not really a concern to me. Gaudette, Madden, Woo, DiPietro and potentially Hoglander. We’ve been able to find late round quality prospectz in the past couple drafts. If you can get two nhl players every draft, you are doing a good job.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I mean we’ve graduated quite a lot of players in the past few years. Not really a concern to me. Gaudette, Madden, Woo, DiPietro and potentially Hoglander. We’ve been able to find late round quality prospectz in the past couple drafts. If you can get two nhl players every draft, you are doing a good job.

We pretty much have to get two players from every draft to make up for the lean years and now to replace Bennings failed projects that he traded futures for.Of course it’s much harder to do when lots of those futures were top 100 picks.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
We pretty much have to get two players from every draft to make up for the lean years and now to replace Bennings failed projects that he traded futures for.Of course it’s much harder to do when lots of those futures were top 100 picks.
14: Virtanen, Demko and maybe Tryamkin
15: Boeser. Gaudette is close. Brisebois and Jasek are two maybe
16: ......maybe Juolevi and Lockwood? Not looking good
17: EP, maybe DiPietro. Lind is a long shot.
18: Quinn, maybe Woo and Madden.
19: Too early to tell

So far only 2016 seems like a complete failure.

Edit: Should have included McCann in 2014, haha haha.....

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
How is Demko not the choice here? He is likely the best goalie the Canucks have ever drafted... Podkolzin isn't even the best Russian the Canucks have drafted.

Reactions: Fraser28

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
How is Demko not the choice here? He is likely the best goalie the Canucks have ever drafted... Podkolzin isn't even the best Russian the Canucks have drafted.
Eh, flimsy logic there. But I agree that Demko has real value as a potential starter with what he's shown so far. It's close between him and Pod.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
If Quinn gets a serious shot at the Calder this year this next season, like a lot of experts are thinking he will, that will be a Canuck as either rookie of the year, or runner up for that award for THREE YEARS RUNNING. That almost never happens. I don't want to hear whining about how we have nothing to show for 5 years of sucking.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The same can probably be said about most NHL teams. Considering the quality of players that have left our prospect pool over the last couple of years it is not surprising we would fall down the list. Not many teams have brought in a Pettersson and a Boeser over the last 2 years and still maintain a top 10 prospect pool.
Not many teams could be as bad as we have been for the last few years and have this mediocre prospect pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad