Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
POLL #17 (54 votes)
Griffen Molino - 34 votes
Andrey Pedan & Brett McKenzie- 4 votes
Michael Carcone, Cole Cassels & Dmitri Zhukenov - 3 votes

Rank | Player | POS | 2016/17 Team | HT | WT | DOB | Drafted/Acquired | 2016 Rank | Poll% (Tot.)
1|Brock Boeser|RW|Vancouver (NHL)/Univ. of North Dakota (NCAA)|6.01|192|Feb 25 1997|23rd (2015)|1 (-)| 48.2%(166)
2|Elias Pettersson|C/LW|Timra IK (Allsve.)|6.02|165|Nov 12 1998|5th (2017)|NEW| 89.33%(150)
3|Olli Juolevi|D|London (OHL)|6.03|187|May 5 1998|5th (2016)|2 (-1)| 64.44%(180)
4|Thatcher Demko|G|Utica (AHL)|6.04|192|Dec 8 1995|36th (2014)|3 (-1)| 62.11%(161)
5|Jonathan Dahlen|C|Timra IK (Allsve.)|5.11|176|Dec 20 1997|Trade via OTT (2017)|NEW| 77.12%(118)
6|Adam Gaudette|C|Northeastern (NCAA)|6.01|183|Oct 3 1996|149th (2015)|10 (+4)| 57.24%(153)]
7|Nikolay Goldobin|LW/RW|Vancouver (NHL)/San Jose (AHL)|6.00|185|Oct 7 1995|Trade via SJ (2017)|NEW| 71.33%(150)
8|Jake Virtanen|RW|Utica (AHL)|6.01|207|Aug 17 1996|6th (2014)|4 (-4)| 43.50%(177)
9|Kole Lind|RW|Kelowna (WHL)|6.01|185|Oct 16 1998|33rd (2017)|NEW| 46.15%(143)
10|Jonah Gadjovich|LW|Owen Sound (OHL)|6.02|201|Oct 12 1998|55th (2017)|NEW| 49.01%(151)
11|Will Lockwood|RW|University of Michigan (NCAA)|5.11|172|June 20 1998|64th (2016)|14 (+3)| 32.14%(140)
12|Jordan Subban|D|Utica (AHL)|5.09|185|Mar 3 1995|115th (2013)|7 (-5)| 1st to 50 & OP
13|Guillaume Brisebois|D|Charlottetown (QMJHL)|6.03|190|Jul 21 1997|66th (2015)|9 (-4)| 46.83%(126)
14|Michael DiPietro|G|Windsor (OHL)|6.00|201|June 9 1999|64th (2017)|NEW| 57.58%(99)
15|Zack MacEwen|C/RW|Gatineau (QMJHL)|6.03|205|July 8 1996|Free Agent (2017)|NEW| 30.10%(103)
16|Evan McEneny|D|Utica (AHL)|6.02|203|May 22 1994|Free Agent (2014)|Unranked| 38.14%(97)
17|Jalen Chatfield|D|Windsor (OHL)|6.01|187|May 15 1996|Free Agent (2017)|NEW| 32.10%
18|Petrus Palmu|LW|Owen Sound (OHL)|5.07|167|July 16 1997|181st (2017)|NEW| 30.26%
19|Jack Rathbone|D|Dexter (USHS)|5.10|170|May 20 1999|95th (2017)|NEW| 53.13%
20|Philip Holm|D|Vaxjo (SHL)|6.01|197|Dec 8 1991|Free Agent (2017)|NEW| 39.68%
21|Griffen Molino|C/LW|Western Michigan (NCAA)|6.00|185|Jan 21 1994|Free Agent (2017)|NEW| 62.96%

griffen-molino-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-for-his-official-nhl-picture-id662293090

21. Griffen Molino
2016/17 season: Western Michigan - 40GP 15G 18A​

Eligible prospects
Rodrigo Abols
Brock Boeser
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Olli Juolevi
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Elias Pettersson
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
LaBate should be next, he may only have the upside of a 3/4 line checker and fighter but he should get games this year and he hasn't looked out of place in the NHL.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Gunnarsson... tho i'm really undecided between him and Carcone mostly because Gunnarsson is a relative unknown (and hard to judge since he's a defensive D so stats aren't going to mean a lot).

Not very high on McKenzie since it looks like he'll be going back for his overage season. In terms of relative production, he wasn't nearly as productive as Carcone during their 20y season tho McKenzie is suppose to be a much more complete player. Also didn't help that he signed an ATO last year and never played a game in Utica (despite multiple 3x3s weekends and i think they played a game or 2 with 7 Ds/11 forwards) plus got cut before the end of the season. Finally his contract status doesn't help... he'll probably need a big overage year to earn a contract but if he does, he might elect UFA considering it'll be June 1st. Also remember since its his overage year, North Bay would likely trade him to a contender if they aren't contending so he should be guaranteed a playoff run.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
McKenzie. Then Jasek, Brassard, and Carcone in some order.

Add Jasek and/or Brassard.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think McKenzie even has a contract yet, and there are doubts the Canucks even sign him....so how can he be leading the voting over guys like Carcone, Cassals or Pedan who're already signed and have played significant minutes in the AHL?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I don't think McKenzie even has a contract yet, and there are doubts the Canucks even sign him....so how can he be leading the voting over guys like Carcone, Cassals or Pedan who're already signed and have played significant minutes in the AHL?

Because poor AHL players on NHL contracts don't have any kind of trade value. The only thing Cassels and Pedan have proved in the AHL is that they aren't legitimate prospects. Carcone I'll give another season before writing off.

McKenzie at least has time on his side and had an encouraging year with North Bay. The fact that McKenzie isn't under contract is a pro in terms of his value at the moment.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Because poor AHL players on NHL contracts don't have any kind of trade value. The only thing Cassels and Pedan have proved in the AHL is that they aren't legitimate prospects. Carcone I'll give another season before writing off.

McKenzie at least has time on his side and had an encouraging year with North Bay. The fact that McKenzie isn't under contract is a pro in terms of his value at the moment.

Not really, remember he's a CHL draftee meaning we only own his rights for 2 years. He's going back for his overage season (at least that's what it looks like). Basically by the end of the season, we'll only have his rights for a few months then he's a UFA.

That reduces leverage in terms of signing him (if he has a good year). Of course it does also reduce the risk of a wasted contract space if he has a bad year. Overall, i wouldn't expect him to have any trade value right now... more of a "throw in" prospect, which is pretty much the same as say Pedan (who probably has no trade value given he did clear waivers last season).

Cassels for me is more or less a write off at this point too unless he finally has a breakout year. Stranger things have happened but he looks like an organizational depth/AHL lifer at this point.

Edit - Maybe polls should go longer? There's only 43 votes for this poll... lol

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The one thing McKenzie has against him is having to see the guy from Flight of the Conchords every time I google him

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I like the ranking though overall.

I would probably go...

1) Pettersson
2) Juolevi
3) Boeser
4) Demko
5) Gaudette
6) Goldobin
7) Dahlen
8) Virtanen
9) Lind
10)Gadjovich
11)Dipietro
12)Brisebois
13)Lockwood
14)Molino
15)McEneny
16)LaBate
17)Chattfield
18)Subban
19)Holm
20)Rathbone

...as far as a top twenty goes myself.

But it's always a fun exercise and we have more to work with now than we've had in I don't remember when.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
1) Pettersson
2) Juolevi
3) Boeser
4) Demko
5) Gaudette
6) Goldobin
7) Dahlen
8) Virtanen
9) Lind
10)Gadjovich
11)Dipietro
12)Brisebois
13)Lockwood
14)Molino
15)McEneny
16)LaBate
17)Chattfield
18)Subban
19)Holm
20)Rathbone

My rankings look like this:
1)Boeser
2)Juolevi
3)Demko
4)Pettersson
5)Dahlén
6)Goldobin
7)Gaudette
8)Virtanen
9)Gadjovich
10)Lind
11)Lockwood
12)Holm
13)DiPietro
14)Subban
15)McEneny
16)Molino
17)Chatfield
18)Brisebois
19)Labate
20)Rathbone

Holm doesn't get enough love. +24 on the Vaxjo Lakers of the SHL last year as a 24 year old dman. Was very good at the World Championships too. Didn't look out of place.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
1)Boeser
2)Juolevi
3)Demko
4)Pettersson
5)Dahlén
6)Goldobin
7)Gaudette
8)Virtanen
9)Gadjovich
10)Lind
11)Lockwood
12)Holm
13)DiPietro
14)Subban
15)McEneny
16)Molino
17)Chatfield
18)Brisebois
19)Labate
20)Rathbone

Holm doesn't get enough love. +24 on the Vaxjo Lakers of the SHL last year as a 24 year old dman. Was very good at the World Championships too. Didn't look out of place.

Yeah I look forward to seeing him in camp. I honestly have trouble knowing where to place in the order. He's a wild card to me.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
1)Boeser
2)Juolevi
3)Demko
4)Pettersson
5)Dahlén
6)Goldobin
7)Gaudette
8)Virtanen
9)Gadjovich
10)Lind
11)Lockwood
12)Holm
13)DiPietro
14)Subban
15)McEneny
16)Molino
17)Chatfield
18)Brisebois
19)Labate
20)Rathbone

My list after all these polls (and changing my mind a bit) is quite a bit different. Well mostly just a few players being higher/lower.

1) Boeser - think he'll start the year on the 3rd line, that gives him a tiebreak over Pettersson for me
2) Pettersson - think his upside, like Boeser, is as high as a 1st liner... others might have the same potential or possible upside but a lot less likely to reach it then these 2

3) Dahlen - next best forward prospect hands down
4) Juolevi - best D prospect
5) Demko - best goalie prospect and should be ready in hopefully 2 seasons

6) Goldobin - next best offensive prospect tho after the prospect game, i pretty much had him tied with Gaudatte... tiebreaker being he has a contract already and Gaudatte isn't signed yet
7) Gaudatte - had him below Goldobin before the prospect game, tied after and he's probably trending up... hopefully we sign him after his NCAA season and he plays a few games this year

8) Lind - surprised he dropped, probably the biggest raisers in terms of top 100 draft rankings, top 6 upside and a complete forward... should be in the AHL next year
9) Gadjovich - honestly i'm debating switching him and Lind due to his performance in World Jr showcase... but since these draft started before that and the vote for top 10 also happened before that... tho right now i would have him as 8
10) Lockwood - Same tier as Lind/Gadjovich but those 2 are the shinny new toys... so they went higher :laugh:

11) Brisebois - top 4 D potential... also since i pretty much listed every forward with realistic top 6 potential (as in non-long shots) its time to for some Ds
12) Subban - Probably our most talented offensive D (and that includes Juolevi) but still very weak in his own end (as in AHL liability, forget NHL). I'm less concern about his size but being realistic, i don't see 3 RHD including more than 2 of Stecher/Tanev/Subban so Subban's only future with us is likely a) learning the left side or b) Tanev gets traded (more likely)... if we somehow sign Butcher, i'll drop him much lower on the list because his role will drop but otherwise i expect he'll likely replace Biega next season and be the #10 D to start camp

13) DiPietro - originally i think i voted for Molino before Dipietro but that's mostly due to not watching him play or not caring (since i didn't think we would be drafting him)... World Jr showcase has me a bit higher on DiPietro tho the biggest issue is i can't think of any #1 or even good/elite #2 goalies in the NHL right now shorter than 6'1 (and no i don't think Enroth is any good, Greiss is the closest but listed at 6'1... most other 1B goalies are 6'2 - 6'7... at least that i can think of). The NHL might be going smaller/skilled in other positions but they seem to be trending to bigger goalies not smaller/shorter.

14) Molino - I said this many times but i think i rate him higher than most. I see his potential being middle 6/3rd line speedy 2 way winger and likely seeing NHL time again next season (tho as injury replacement). No idea why many have him much lower... am i seeing things differently on him or did majority of fans just stop watching/caring when he played last year? He didn't scored but didn't look out of place

15) Virtanen - Never voted for him since he was long gone before i even considered him. This is mostly a reflection of his play last year... he was basically a AHL 3rd liner... Green played him mostly on the 3rd line and since Green is the coach for us, it basically means Virtanen didn't make a great first impression. Its make or break time for Virtanen... at least in terms of being a "top prospect" vs "bottom 6" prospect since he needs to clear waivers after next season. It'll mean he'll be on the team come opening day 2018... but the question is will he be competing for a 3rd line spot or slotted on the 4th line so we don't lose him on waivers... U would have him slotted in a top 6 role in Utica just because of his draft status but being realistic and he's really placed here also due to his draft position (i.e. based on production, his was the same as Carcone last season and Carcone finished the year stronger... so if it wasn't due to being a top 6 pick, Virtanen is probably closer to 20 for me). He's starting to remain me of David Booth... all the tools but no idea how to use them.

16) Holm - The more i research him, the more impressed i am... i think he's our 9th D to start the year but given his status (waiver exempt/VE AHL status) he'll likely start the season in Utica. That said, i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being #7/Stecher spot (last year)... that is if there's any long term injury, he might be called up and not to sit but rather play (Biega/Wiercioch sitting instead). This allows him to stay sharp/develop in Utica on top of the fact that the other 2 are considered "vets" (and Holm is 1 of 2 that qualify as VE, other being Boucher). Side note, that matters because AHL teams are only allowed to dress 5 vet + 1 VE (and you can easily count 4 + Megna/Chaput already so one of them will always be sitting, add another and 2 will always be sitting).

17) McEneny - He's younger than Holm but i think his potential might be lower... at least after looking/reading a lot more about Holm. Even if its the same (say bottom pairing D/replacement D), the key difference is Holm is closer to being ready and also a lower floor (at this point). Would be interested to see if Utica decides to a) go with Holm/Subban as a top pairing or continue with McEneny/Subban this season

18) Palmu - His reviews from TPS seems to suggest he might be the best player so far on TPS... also 4 points in 4 games + a match deciding goal statistically supports this. Given not much else going on... this influences his position quite a bit.... :laugh:

19) MacEwen - Big forward but i'm not as high as him as others. He does have a lot of upside but is also a project. He seems to dominate vs smaller/weaker players but not sure if that'll hold in the AHL. Also holes defensively doesn't help him. The work ethic is there tho so that at least gives him an edge over another "power forward" that just left the organization (Grenier).

20) Rathbone - high upside but also likely 5 years away so that results in a very low floor too. A lot can happen in 5 years and he's basically playing meaningless hockey next year (HS) then as a freshman, he probably won't get meaningful minutes so it might be 2 years till its reasonable to start judging him... hard to get hyped up about a prospect who's "2 years away from being 2 years away" (or actually 3). :laugh: That said, i do think his potential is higher than everyone else left and even higher than some a few spots ahead of him... just too far in the future and low floor.

21) Gunnarson - Based on scouting reports, hard hitting solid defensive D who's also a good skater. Basically sounds like a good 3rd pairing/shut down D going forward and since we generally have more luck with SHL prospects than any other league... heck we probably have more former SHL players on our team/prospect list than any other organization :laugh:

22) Chatfield - I think he'll make Utica next year but guess i'm not as high on him as others. Don't notice any holes in his game, which is good but he has a lot less offensive upside (i.e. close to none) when compared to some of the other prospects (except Gunnarson who's also suppose to have no offensive upside). Pretty much ranked the same as Gunnarson with the tiebreaker being SHL connection (again more luck there than elsewhere). Also a similar scouting report and similar height (tho Gunnarson is listed as 205 vs 185 so he's probably more bulky)... :laugh:

23) Carcone - Finished the year strong on Utica/when he was off the 4th line. I think he'll start the year on the 3rd line in Utica and could progress to the 2nd year once we start calling up injury replacements. Still think he has some NHL potential tho would've liked a more productive rookie year (and him getting more playing time...).

24) Zhukenov - Don't think we'll sign him tho we have his rights for 2 more seasons. Pure skill wise, he is probably more skilled than everyone left and is great for highlight reels... :laugh:

25) Labate - Mostly dropped due to age (24 when most of the prospects are younger... basically all except Holm). He does bring physically and i think he could score a bit more given his speed/size/shot in the AHL. He's also a big player that plays big unlike Grenier. Could be an injury replacement again this year tho its less likely since we are a deeper team. I see him likely starting the season on the 3rd line. Wonder if he'll end up playing with Cassels and if that helps or hurts both of them... :laugh:

26) Cassels - The rest of the prospects are long shots and/or i don't think we'll sign them. He needs a breakout year to have much value since he is a blackhole offensively. That said, he's a solid player in his own end so if he ever starts scoring (like in Jr), he could really shoot up these polls. :laugh: Still a long shot at this point but who knows, maybe a new coach will help with his development? Most important tho he'll probably need to improve his skating to contribute much of anything... :laugh:

27) Sautner - Don't expect him to be a regular to start the season but he'll likely be the 8th D on Utica and who knows maybe he'll slot in some games when we want Sifers out (to dress 5 vet forwards). Plus as we know we'll always have injuries so he'll play 40+ games again and who knows, he could have a McEneny like year when given another chance (ok not likely). :laugh: Plus i think he's the last prospect... :laugh:

The rest?

I don't think we'll sign Cadella or Stukel. We might sign McKenzie but the fact he got cut before the end of Utica's season (and never played despite multiple 3x3) doesn't help his chances. He'll probably need a 80+ pt season before we'll even consider signing him (since its his overage season) or a great playoff run. The fact he got cut probably means Green wasn't too impressed with him in practice (last year). Also doesn't help that we have Laplante's contract for another season after this. Of course McKenzie does have an advantage of being a 3 zone player while some of the others are only good offensive or defensively (Cassels). Still the fact he isn't signed yet isn't a good sign. Pedan at this point is basically organization depth who would've been on the list if we didn't sign Sifers. Being a 7th D (maybe 8th, depending on Sautner) in Utica @ 24 pretty much means he isn't really a prospect at this point. He was probably on par with Sautner based on last year's performance and of course Sautner is younger. Although it is interesting that his contract has 300k guaranteed in the AHL when he played mostly on the 3rd pairing last year. 300k probably makes him the highest paid D in Utica (since the others are on ELC/sub 100k except for Sifers who's on a AHL contract... generally undisclosed). I guess Pedan could be 28th and could even see the odd game this year because it makes more sense for him to sit in the pressbox (in the NHL) than some of the other prospects.

Side note, for the top, i didn't space some of them because i pretty much group'd them together so it was really a tiebreaker breaking them. The later i split up since i explained them in a bit more detail. :laugh:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I like the ranking though overall.

I would probably go...

1) Pettersson
2) Juolevi
3) Boeser
4) Demko
5) Gaudette
6) Goldobin
7) Dahlen
8) Virtanen
9) Lind
10)Gadjovich
11)Dipietro
12)Brisebois
13)Lockwood
14)Molino
15)McEneny
16)LaBate
17)Chattfield
18)Subban
19)Holm
20)Rathbone

...as far as a top twenty goes myself.

But it's always a fun exercise and we have more to work with now than we've had in I don't remember when.

i don't see a list anywhere, but curious how you guys see the top 10 these days. obviously pettersson having a monster
year and gadjovich seems to be having a strong year.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
i don't see a list anywhere, but curious how you guys see the top 10 these days. obviously pettersson having a monster
year and gadjovich seems to be having a strong year.

Pettersson
Gaudette
Demko
Lind
Gadvolich
Dahlen
Lockwood
Juolevi
Briesbois
Boucher

Ad

Upcoming events