POLL #14 (97 votes)
Evan McEneny - 37 votes
Jalen Chatfield - 18 votes
Jack Rathbone - 16 votes
Petrus Palmu - 11 votes
Griffen Molino - 10 votes
Andrey Pedan - 3 votes
Cole Cassels & Michael Carcone - 1 vote

Rank | Player | POS | 2016/17 Team | HT | WT | DOB | Drafted/Acquired | 2016 Rank | Poll% (Tot.)
1|Brock Boeser|RW|Vancouver (NHL)/Univ. of North Dakota (NCAA)|6.01|192|Feb 25 1997|23rd (2015)|1 (-)| 48.2%(166)
2|Elias Pettersson|C/LW|Timra IK (Allsve.)|6.02|165|Nov 12 1998|5th (2017)|NEW| 89.33%(150)
3|Olli Juolevi|D|London (OHL)|6.03|187|May 5 1998|5th (2016)|2 (-1)| 64.44%(180)
4|Thatcher Demko|G|Utica (AHL)|6.04|192|Dec 8 1995|36th (2014)|3 (-1)| 62.11%(161)
5|Jonathan Dahlen|C|Timra IK (Allsve.)|5.11|176|Dec 20 1997|Trade via OTT (2017)|NEW| 77.12%(118)
6|Adam Gaudette|C|Northeastern (NCAA)|6.01|183|Oct 3 1996|149th (2015)|10 (+4)| 57.24%(153)]
7|Nikolay Goldobin|LW/RW|Vancouver (NHL)/San Jose (AHL)|6.00|185|Oct 7 1995|Trade via SJ (2017)|NEW| 71.33%(150)
8|Jake Virtanen|RW|Utica (AHL)|6.01|207|Aug 17 1996|6th (2014)|4 (-4)| 43.50%(177)
9|Kole Lind|RW|Kelowna (WHL)|6.01|185|Oct 16 1998|33rd (2017)|NEW| 46.15%(143)
10|Jonah Gadjovich|LW|Owen Sound (OHL)|6.02|201|Oct 12 1998|55th (2017)|NEW| 49.01%(151)
11|Will Lockwood|RW|University of Michigan (NCAA)|5.11|172|June 20 1998|64th (2016)|14 (+3)| 32.14%(140)
12|Jordan Subban|D|Utica (AHL)|5.09|185|Mar 3 1995|115th (2013)|7 (-5)| 1st to 50 & OP
13|Guillaume Brisebois|D|Charlottetown (QMJHL)|6.03|190|Jul 21 1997|66th (2015)|9 (-4)| 46.83%(126)
14|Michael DiPietro|G|Windsor (OHL)|6.00|201|June 9 1999|64th (2017)|NEW| 57.58%(99)
15|Zack MacEwen|C/RW|Gatineau (QMJHL)|6.03|205|July 8 1996|Free Agent (2017)|NEW| 30.10%(103)
16|Evan McEneny|D|Utica (AHL)|6.02|203|May 22 1994|Free Agent (2014)|Unranked| 38.14%(97)

kf_2_evan_mceneny_ep.jpg

16. Evan McEneny
2016/17 season: Utica - 64GP 8G 15A

- Do the Canucks have something in McEneny?

- Canucks re-sign McEneny

Eligible prospects
Rodrigo Abols
Brock Boeser
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Olli Juolevi
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Elias Pettersson
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
If Holm is eligible, as a guy who was recently recognized for the best plus-minus in the SHL,
and as a member of the Swedish gold medal team, with an NHL body and good skating, he might
be the best bet of the remaining players to actually play in the NHL. The knock on Holm is that he
hasn't produced many points as a pro. But you could say that about Tanev too, just as a general
observation. I know almost nothing about Holm, but he's obviously been well-regarded in Sweden,
and by the Leafs, Hawks, and Canucks in North America, so clearly some NHL honchos think he's
got an NHL game. If that turns out to be the case, Holm would deserve to rocket up these prospect rankings.

I guess the downsides are his advanced age of 25, and, well, Canucks management . . .

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I feel like this is the point where there's a massive drop off. I'm going to go with Chatfield based on potential, but Molino is also deserving given that he's already played in the NHL, I feel like he's just a real low ceiling guy though.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Molino Molino Molino Molino Molino Molino Molino Molino moooliiiinOOOOoooooo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like this is the point where there's a massive drop off. I'm going to go with Chatfield based on potential, but Molino is also deserving given that he's already played in the NHL, I feel like he's just a real low ceiling guy though.

Yeah. I went Rathbone based on potential "upside", but he's a huge longshot. It's either that, or a lot of pretty low upside guys who are still a bit of a reach to make it. Hopeful 4th liner/bottom-pairing D types...if they make it. Rathbone has the skating and perhaps the offensive instincts to be more of an impact player, but he could very easily just be Pat McNally pt2 as well. If any of these guys make it in any NHL capacity though, that'd be pretty darn fantastic.

Slowly getting further into the list before we hit this sort of cliff though, which is moving in the right direction.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Rathbone is just a totally weird wildcard and I'm probably going to avoid voting for him as a whole.

Although it wouldn't totally shock me to see him at 8 or something in a couple of years.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
It's pretty amazing that by the time the list got to #10 with Gadjovich, there were 5 new names on it that
weren't there this time last year. The shiny new toy syndrome may be happening to some extent, but after reading
what Brock Otten has to say about Gadjovich and DiPietro's OHL prospects for next year--and seeing DiPietro at #14 on this list,
with his Mem Cup teammate and captain Chatfield not even ranked yet--I'd say for sure our prospect pool has come
a healthy long way in a very short time. Another year or two near the bottom and we might actually be good, competitive team for the next decade or so.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
All the guys left at this point are the longest of long shots. Time to vote for a struggling pro over an unproven kid. Cassels has had a Virtanen Jr. career thus far. Bad luck, injuries and poor skating have seriously hampered his development. But, from the reports of the Utica fans, he seemed to finally be getting his defensive game together at the end of last season.

Much like Jake, 2017-18 will be a make or break season for him. He's got to come in stronger, faster and able to show some (hell any) offensive acumen. Cassels had some decent potential at one point... it's high time he, at the very least, molded himself into a guy would the team could call up to play on the 4th line if injuries started mounting.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
All the guys left at this point are the longest of long shots. Time to vote for a struggling pro over an unproven kid. Cassels has had a Virtanen Jr. career thus far. Bad luck, injuries and poor skating have seriously hampered his development. But, from the reports of the Utica fans, he seemed to finally be getting his defensive game together at the end of last season.

Much like Jake, 2017-18 will be a make or break season for him. He's got to come in stronger, faster and able to show some (hell any) offensive acumen. Cassels had some decent potential at one point... it's high time he, at the very least, molded himself into a guy would the team could call up to play on the 4th line if injuries started mounting.

Nope. Rathbone, Molino and Chatfield are good bets imo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Rathbone is just a totally weird wildcard and I'm probably going to avoid voting for him as a whole.

Although it wouldn't totally shock me to see him at 8 or something in a couple of years.

Yeah. Totally fair. I think that wildcard element can be interpreted in this voting either way really. Is he worthy of a vote because, "you're telling me there's a chance?", or is he just a total ??? :dunno: ??? and can't even really be placed on a ranking like this?

Either approach is reasonable enough. For me, i think this is the point where it's no longer a boat vs mystery box, it's like...a ramshackle raft at best vs a mystery box. I take the mystery box...it could be anything, even...a ramshackle raft! But it's hardly done with a great deal of conviction. More likely than not, the box is empty...but there are some tools there that are intriguing. Darts in the dark here.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Molino again... looks like he's really under-rated. I guess we'll see where he goes in the mid-terms 'cause at this rate, i think he'll be the biggest raiser.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Molino again... looks like he's really under-rated. I guess we'll see where he goes in the mid-terms 'cause at this rate, i think he'll be the biggest raiser.

Maybe. voted Palmu again, probably the biggest long shot in this entire draft year, but a possible SL or Godrow.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Maybe. voted Palmu again, probably the biggest long shot in this entire draft year, but a possible SL or Godrow.

I'm high on Palmu but if he's going to Europe/Finnish league, i doubt anyone pays enough attention to that for Palmu to raise much until he comes back to NA. Molino on the other hand will be with 'nucks/Utica so we get a chance to see him more.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'm high on Palmu but if he's going to Europe/Finnish league, i doubt anyone pays enough attention to that for Palmu to raise much until he comes back to NA. Molino on the other hand will be with 'nucks/Utica so we get a chance to see him more.

Once again

Are we voting on

1 - who has the highest upside

2 - who is NHL ready

3 - who is projected to have the best NHL career.

I tend to go with who is going to be the best Canuck. which is kind of a mix of all 3

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Once again

Are we voting on

2 - who is NHL ready

I tend to go with who is going to be the best Canuck. which is kind of a mix of all 3

the guy that you think is the most valuable. how you come to this conclusions is entirely personal, but you should be willing to trade this guy for everyone above him and nobody below him

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
the guy that you think is the most valuable. how you come to this conclusions is entirely personal, but you should be willing to trade this guy for everyone above him and nobody below him

fair enough ... but organizational needs come into play as well. Palmu would be useless on many teams, but in a year or two the canucks will need sedin replacements .....

and I still think there is nothing to pick between the last 3 picks and the next 5 or so .... its a matter of preference ....

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
fair enough ... but organizational needs come into play as well. Palmu would be useless on many teams, but in a year or two the canucks will need sedin replacements .....

and I still think there is nothing to pick between the last 3 picks and the next 5 or so .... its a matter of preference ....

Anyone who will be a viable "Sedin replacement" would certainly not be useless on many teams.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Once again

Are we voting on

2 - who is NHL ready

Since there really isn't a guideline, i generally consider

1a) Floor
1b) Ceiling (both max and likely)
3) Probability of reaching his ceiling (i.e. i think Palmu ceiling is a top 6 forward but its a lot less likely he'll reach his ceiling than Pettersson/Dahlen/etc)
4) ETA (one of the reasons i'm not considering Rathbone, since his ETA is likely 5 years, 1 more high school then 4 years @ Harvard, also the main reason i'm voting for Molino since his ETA is probably 2018/mid season)

Also in the case of NCAA/KHL players, i generally rank them lower if i think we might not be able to sign them. Rathbone again being someone who's probably harder to sign (Harvard being a good school so probably a higher chance a player finishes their degree and their last 2 captain both not signing with the team that drafted them).

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The way I vote for these rankings is, combining their ceilings, floors, and probability to make the NHL and just pick which one I would take after considering those 3 factors. I don't really take ETA to consideration because some prospects might take 2 years, some might take 4, but at the end of the day I take the player who ends up being better regardless how many years they take.

If I was in a decision between Chatfield and Rathbone. Well, Rathbone probably has higher ceiling, but a lower floor and probability of making the NHL. More of a high-risk pick than Chatfield. Chatfield on the other hand has a decent ceiling but isn't as high as Rathbone's, but he has a higher floor and probability of making the NHL IMO. It also comes down to playing style for me. The way a player plays and how it will fit in the NHL is the last factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad