Vancouver/Edinburgh
POLL #14 (99 votes)
Michael DiPietro - 57 votes
Zack MacEwen - 14 votes
Evan McEneny - 11 votes
Jack Rathbone - 6 votes
Jalen Chatfield - 5 votes
Griffen Molino & Petrus Palmu - 3 votes

Rank | Player | POS | 2016/17 Team | HT | WT | DOB | Drafted/Acquired | 2016 Rank | Poll% (Tot.)
1|Brock Boeser|RW|Vancouver (NHL)/Univ. of North Dakota (NCAA)|6.01|192|Feb 25 1997|23rd (2015)|1 (-)| 48.2%(166)
2|Elias Pettersson|C/LW|Timra IK (Allsve.)|6.02|165|Nov 12 1998|5th (2017)|NEW| 89.33%(150)
3|Olli Juolevi|D|London (OHL)|6.03|187|May 5 1998|5th (2016)|2 (-1)| 64.44%(180)
4|Thatcher Demko|G|Utica (AHL)|6.04|192|Dec 8 1995|36th (2014)|3 (-1)| 62.11%(161)
5|Jonathan Dahlen|C|Timra IK (Allsve.)|5.11|176|Dec 20 1997|Trade via OTT (2017)|NEW| 77.12%(118)
6|Adam Gaudette|C|Northeastern (NCAA)|6.01|183|Oct 3 1996|149th (2015)|10 (+4)| 57.24%(153)]
7|Nikolay Goldobin|LW/RW|Vancouver (NHL)/San Jose (AHL)|6.00|185|Oct 7 1995|Trade via SJ (2017)|NEW| 71.33%(150)
8|Jake Virtanen|RW|Utica (AHL)|6.01|207|Aug 17 1996|6th (2014)|4 (-4)| 43.50%(177)
9|Kole Lind|RW|Kelowna (WHL)|6.01|185|Oct 16 1998|33rd (2017)|NEW| 46.15%(143)
10|Jonah Gadjovich|LW|Owen Sound (OHL)|6.02|201|Oct 12 1998|55th (2017)|NEW| 49.01%(151)
11|Will Lockwood|RW|University of Michigan (NCAA)|5.11|172|June 20 1998|64th (2016)|14 (+3)| 32.14%(140)
12|Jordan Subban|D|Utica (AHL)|5.09|185|Mar 3 1995|115th (2013)|7 (-5)| 1st to 50 & OP
13|Guillaume Brisebois|D|Charlottetown (QMJHL)|6.03|190|Jul 21 1997|66th (2015)|9 (-4)| 46.83%(126)
14|Michael DiPietro|G|Windsor (OHL)|6.00|201|June 9 1999|64th (2017)|NEW| 57.58%(99)

ep_ws_64_dipietro,_michael.jpg

14. Michael DiPietro
2016/17 season: Windsor - 30-12-2 2.35GAA .917SV%

- Canucks Army profile of DiPietro

- DiPietro brings a Cloutier-like battle level to Canucks

Eligible prospects
Rodrigo Abols
Brock Boeser
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Olli Juolevi
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Elias Pettersson
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
MacEwen!

I'm hoping that his great CHL year translates to a prominent role in Utica --- and eventually bottom 6 in NHL.

Maybe a Chris Tierney type?

S_C

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Went MacEwen, but really any of the players in the poll are pretty much equal ... unproven, and maybe one in 5 of them will have a borderline NHL career.

Will vote Palmu next and hope he is able to find a spot on the roster in a couple of years ... A swing for the fences vote, vs the D men that look already close to being serviceable NHL call ups in an emergency.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Molino again... much higher floor than those left and likely also much closer to being NHL ready (of course also older). :laugh:

Side note but should Holm be added? He would be considered a rookie next season despite his age and he's only 1.5 yrs older than Labate/Pedan. :laugh:

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
MacEwan. Guys got wheels and hands, let's hope he can be like Grenier in the AHL, but better than Grenier in callups. Chatfield is also applicable here. I'd love to vote for Rathbone too but I don't know enough about him

Add Jasek imo. Will hopefully get more opportunity to play on his new Czech team this year than he did on Trinec. Put up good numbers in the second tier Czech league as a 19 year old. This next year is make or break on his development given he gets a shot

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
MacEwan. Guys got wheels and hands, let's hope he can be like Grenier in the AHL, but better than Grenier in callups. Chatfield is also applicable here. I'd love to vote for Rathbone too but I don't know enough about him

Add Jasek imo. Will hopefully get more opportunity to play on his new Czech team this year than he did on Trinec. Put up good numbers in the second tier Czech league as a 19 year old. This next year is make or break on his development given he gets a shot

Jasek wasn't even invited to camp this year, I think he's done with the org.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Went with Chatfield. Think he will surprise a lot of us come Training Camp.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Palmu. Talent is there. But can he hold up against AHLers/NHLers

Agreed. I'll be voting Palmu from here on out. At this point, everyone is a low-probability prospect. Might as well focus on pure upside.

Side note: don't really get the MacEwan hype. He's like the slightly better Mallet.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I think they were looking into signing him this summer, but his Extraliga contract stopped that.

He signed a new contract in May so his initial contract had no impact. Benning could have signed him before his 2 year contract if he wanted but realisitically it might benefit the team to let him play another 2 yrs in Europe. We actually keep his rights after his contract ends since he was and still is in Europe (4 yrs instead of 2).

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just note that no one cares. Something like 18 comments in a day, advocating for 7 - 8 different players.

No consensus, but none of the usual "you only voted because of his draft position". By the time we get to 25 we will likely be down to 5 votes between 3 people.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
mallet did his everything a year younger than macewen

The 2012 version of Mallet would be a fine vote at 15 on this list.

MacEwen definitely (and likely) could turn out like Mallet but he still has a unique skillset that no one else in our pool has and he easily has the most upside out of anyone remaining aside from MAYBE Palmu or Rathbone.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
hes also 21

i dunno, hes just... nothing to me until he shows hes something. i fully admit that 15 games into next year my opinion could 180 but right now i count myself as having basically no info other than "hes really old"

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
The 2012 version of Mallet would be a fine vote at 15 on this list.

MacEwen definitely (and likely) could turn out like Mallet but he still has a unique skillset that no one else in our pool has and he easily has the most upside out of anyone remaining aside from MAYBE Palmu or Rathbone.

I disagree with the most upside. Remember he's actually the same age as Carcone despite being in the CHL last year. Carcone actually scored 47/42/89 in his 19/20 year old season, which is more than MacEwen's older/+1 season (and both were in QMJHL). Basically MacEwen started later but that also gave him a huge advantage because fact is he's much bigger than your typical CHLer. He won't have the same size advantage in the AHL or NHL... which is what makes him more of a mystery to me (and also why i discount what he actually did last season).

That doesn't mean i don't like the signing or think he has decent upside but i think expectation for him should be scaled back a bit until he actually plays in the AHL. He did look good in the prospect game but again he's older/bigger than majority of the prospects so its really hard to judge until he actually plays against bigger players. If he is still able to use his size advantage int he AHL, then i might change my expectations of him (but even then, remember NHL is even bigger/faster).

The other thing to note is in terms of pure skill, Dmitri Zhukenov might actually top the list of remaining prospects (imo its him or Palmu). Problem about him is he's KHL bound for the next 2 years (i think) and of course he hasn't been consistent. He had a good playoff run and showed off some amazing skills during the playoffs last year (at least the odd game i watched, did not watch his regular season at all).

Take a look at the highlights (yes they are highlights but it shows his skillset/hands, those shootout moves would likely put him in our top 3 right away :laugh: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfVvUR4JYE

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I disagree with the most upside. Remember he's actually the same age as Carcone despite being in the CHL last year. Carcone actually scored 47/42/89 in his 19/20 year old season, which is more than MacEwen's older/+1 season (and both were in QMJHL). Basically MacEwen started later but that also gave him a huge advantage because fact is he's much bigger than your typical CHLer. He won't have the same size advantage in the AHL or NHL... which is what makes him more of a mystery to me (and also why i discount what he actually did last season).

That doesn't mean i don't like the signing or think he has decent upside but i think expectation for him should be scaled back a bit until he actually plays in the AHL. He did look good in the prospect game but again he's older/bigger than majority of the prospects so its really hard to judge until he actually plays against bigger players. If he is still able to use his size advantage int he AHL, then i might change my expectations of him (but even then, remember NHL is even bigger/faster).

The other thing to note is in terms of pure skill, Dmitri Zhukenov might actually top the list of remaining prospects (imo its him or Palmu). Problem about him is he's KHL bound for the next 2 years (i think) and of course he hasn't been consistent. He had a good playoff run and showed off some amazing skills during the playoffs last year (at least the odd game i watched, did not watch his regular season at all).

Take a look at the highlights (yes they are highlights but it shows his skillset/hands, those shootout moves would likely put him in our top 3 right away :laugh: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfVvUR4JYE

The fact that MacEwen is a late bloomer is actually a good thing. Carcone's season may have been more impressive on paper, but I don't think there are many players who can hop from the Maritime Junior League to the QMJHL like MacEwen could. He does have a size advantage, but that's still an impressive developmental curve.

And note that I said "unique skillset" and not "most skilled", even though I probably think MacEwen is the most skilled guy left anyways. Zhukenov and Palmu are both sneaky players with good hands, but neither of them have the skating or frame of MacEwen. Big men who can move and stickhandle like he can don't come around often.

For the record, I don't think MacEwen will pan out -- I don't think he's quite smart enough and obviously he partially looks good in the QMJHL due to purely being stronger and more powerful than his opposition. But if he does boom, he'll probably be playing in our Top 6 -- that itself is enough reason to vote for him.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Just note that no one cares. Something like 18 comments in a day, advocating for 7 - 8 different players.

No consensus, but none of the usual "you only voted because of his draft position". By the time we get to 25 we will likely be down to 5 votes between 3 people.

What are you trying to say Bill? Nobody cares about the poll? There's no clear prospect to vote for, this is all based off what we believe their upside is.

I for one DO care about this.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
What are you trying to say Bill? Nobody cares about the poll? There's no clear prospect to vote for, this is all based off what we believe their upside is.

I for one DO care about this.

My intent was to point out that there is comparative apathy this year ... for a number of reasons.

No clear consensus, but little arguing about position. Other than Virtanen rubbing people the wrong way, we are having little discussion.

I think the Canucks are having everyone unenthusiastic about the team. benning and Linden in particular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad