Confirmed with Link: Canucks 2011 4th Round Pick, 101st Overall - F Joseph LaBate

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Here are his stats broken down game by game: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_player/show/346696

Don't know if this was posted yet:
Red Line Report, an independent international scouting service, projects University of Wisconsin men's hockey center Joe LaBate to be chosen in the third round of the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.

LaBate, an 18-year-old incoming freshman from Holy Angels (Minn.) Academy, is No. 65 on Red Line's list of top prospects for the draft, scheduled for June 24 and 25 in Minneapolis.

Anyone who selects LaBate will do so for obvious reasons: He's listed at 6-foot-4, has a big, athletic frame that could easily add another 20 to 25 pounds, and has above-average offensive skills.

Here's the RLR synopsis on LaBate, who recently took part in the NHL scouting combine in Toronto:

"Huge, but physically under-developed center has a massive and athletic frame to grow into. He's tall and reed-thin right now, but will ultimately fill out to a 210-plus pound monster. Very good in front of the net and has excellent anticipation, always knows where the puck is going. Has a heavy shot with a quick release. Uses his wide base in the corners and (in) front of the net to gain and hold space in prime real estate and to protect the puck while getting his shot away. Outstanding puck-handler with soft, quick hands for such a big man-child. Has fine hockey sense in all three zones, but is raw in many aspects, such as defensive coverage and faceoffs. Already has a long stride, but must gain strength in his Bambi legs. He's all about projection at this point, but his long-term upside is sky-high.''

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/article_9db3f124-92ba-11e0-a9c5-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1QKI47Vkk

And this also has some more blurbs and rankings for Labate:
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011/6/5/2208032/scouting-reports-on-badger-nhl-draft-hopefuls

All in all, a real good value at 101. He has been consistently ranked in the top 60. So when Gillis says something like "We had him ranked much higher than our selection", he will mean it.

Looking at the Combine videos interviewing him, shoulders don't look close to being developed. Could really add some muscle there. As the quote said, i'm very interested in seeing him play with another 20-25 pounds.

The Big Foot

Oct 12, 2008
Sounds like he realizes what he has to work on (strength). I like that Backes is someone he patterns himself after.

You gotta think that these young guys have personal trainers now right? If not, is that something the organization could provide to a NCAA athlete? I'm guessing no. Seems like it would be a good investment - say $20K a year on each draft pick, for a trainer, nutrition, supplements, whatever they need.

Finnish Your Czechs

Sep 8, 2008
I must've missed someting ...

Didn't we have a 2nd rounder this year? I read an article saying we made a swap with Minnesota, but that was all it said.

Can someone fill me in?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sounds like he realizes what he has to work on (strength). I like that Backes is someone he patterns himself after.

You gotta think that these young guys have personal trainers now right? If not, is that something the organization could provide to a NCAA athlete? I'm guessing no. Seems like it would be a good investment - say $20K a year on each draft pick, for a trainer, nutrition, supplements, whatever they need.

The team can't pay for anything for these college-bound players. So no, they don't have a trainer, nutritionist, etc. unless their parents are loaded.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

College is a great place for that. He'll get good training and be required to spend time in the gym by his team.

As far as his offseason training goes, it's a good idea but I think they're pretty strict about pro teams not giving anything to college athletes. It'll be up to him to find a trainer and some guys to train with.

Finnish Your Czechs

Sep 8, 2008
We traded our 60th pick for Minnesota's 71st and 101st picks overall - used to select Honzik and LaBate.

Ahh. Thanks for that.

So we've got:

W Nicklas Jensen - 6'2 202 lbs
G David Honzik - 6'3 209 lbs
RW Alex Grenier - 6'5 200 lbs
C Joseph LaBate - 6'4 190 lbs
LW Ludwig Blomstrand - 6'1 198 lbs
D Frank Corrado - 6'0 190
RW Pat Westerholm - 6'0 187 lbs
D Henrik Tommernes - 6'1 176 lbs

Gillis clearly drafting big players with skating abilities. I'm impressed :)

The Big Foot

Oct 12, 2008
Kind of fitting that with a pick we got from Minny, while the draft is there, we take a guy from Minnesota.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
This pick is so Patrick White part deux. He's even a SJS fan. So... Couture dealt to Van for Labate and Hannay in the summer of '13?

You heard it here first.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I like this pick. A bit of a shot in the dark maybe, but seems like fairly solid value. Looks like tons of potential, and it seems like he has the sort of size and gritty style of game to make it in the bottom-6 if the scoring dries up somewhat (unlike White).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For the sake of clarity, White did play in the USHL and did look pretty good there.

Problem with White is that he developed very little beyond what he showed in the USHL

Oh, I know he played there, but he didn't average 2 points/game or whatever he did in HS. And obviously there were later development issues.

If you're rating junior leagues, it looks something like :

WHL, OHL
QMJHL
(gap)
USHL, BCHL, OPJHL, Swe-jr
(gap)
NAHL, EJHL
(gap)
USHS

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
For the sake of clarity, White did play in the USHL and did look pretty good there.

Problem with White is that he developed very little beyond what he showed in the USHL

He did look good there, but IIRC it was a very brief stint in the USHL. He more or less went directly to the U of M, whereas he probably should have spent a full season in the USHL like that other MN centre kid did who we drafted at the same time.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
He did look good there, but IIRC it was a very brief stint in the USHL. He more or less went directly to the U of M, whereas he probably should have spent a full season in the USHL like that other MN centre kid did who we drafted at the same time.

I don't know if it matter with White even if he had played a full season in the USHL. Kid just didn't seem to have the drive or want in him to succeed at the next level. I don't think it was a lack of talent that held him back from transitioning to college hockey.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I'm not too concerned about Labate and him coming from HS Hockey. Bjugstad and Nelson adapted fairly well in their freshman year and they both were drafted out of the Minnesota High school system. We can be patient with Labate and i think once he adds that strength to his game, he could become similar to a Joe Colborne-type of player.

And Wisconsin is a good program to go to. From one combine interview, seemed like he really wants to go there. Wouldn't be surprised if he is there 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad