Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Maple Leafs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Came away from the game quite liking the Canucks retooled lineup. Always been a fan of JT Miller and like that group of feisty forwards Pearson, Ferland, Horvat, Miller, Roussel. Like the Canucks D led by Quinn Hughes and the RHD with size in Myers and Tanev. Pettersson is so dynamic and I was happy that Boeser didn't burn the Leafs on his numerous breakaway opportunities. Generally a lot of ingredients I wish we had on the Leafs. Not sure if the Canucks can afford all those middle six luxuries as the major ELC's expire but for now it's a nice group.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks played well in spurts, particularly in third period, but a loss is a loss....and the Canucks are slowly but steadily filtering downward in the Pacific Division.

And unless there's some unlikely reservoir in the tank, it's probable that we're looking at a fifth straight year of no playoff hockey in VanCity. Can't think of too many NHL markets where the owners would not have cleaned house long ago.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
the Canucks didn’t outplay them for the first 40 minutes. The scoring chances were almost 2 to 1 for the Leafs through two periods even if the shots were in the Canucks favour. The heat map after two periods was one of a lot of dark blue within 10 feet of the Canucks net and dark orange at the left point (Hughes) in the leafs zone. In the third the Canucks did outplay and outchance them.

Two similar teams when looking at the inability to play any sort of decent team defense.

3nFdyBD.jpg

Amazing how the eye test (from haters) and analytics differ so much.
Okay so Tantulum out for just straight haterism and following the "crowd" on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
3nFdyBD.jpg

Amazing how the eye test (from haters) and analytics differ so much.
Okay so Tantulum out for just straight haterism and following the "crowd" on here.

The eye test agrees with the analytics and the heat map. Through two periods the Leafs offense and chances were concentrated within the lower slot (the dark blue means lots of leafs activity) and the Canucks was not (dark orange.red means lots of Canuck activity...centered at the left point). Furthermore the scoring chances were 24 to 14 for the Leafs after two periods...or nearly a 2:1 as I said. Even more Drance as I found out later posted the exact same damn thing after the second.

I also said the Canucks outplayed and out chances the Leafs in the third which is also what the analytics said. Literally nothing I said in my post was incorrect. Through 40 while the shot differential was leaning Canucks the actual scoring chance differential was leaning strongly to the Leafs. When the Leafs had offensive zone control the Canucks were breaking down on a regular basis.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Canucks played well in spurts, particularly in third period, but a loss is a loss....and the Canucks are slowly but steadily filtering downward in the Pacific Division.

And unless there's some unlikely reservoir in the tank, it's probable that we're looking at a fifth straight year of no playoff hockey in VanCity. Can't think of too many NHL markets where the owners would not have cleaned house long ago.

I have to admit, it is so hard to muster any sort of energy or care about the Canucks this year because we've seen this movie over and over again. And it sucked the first time. I'm hoping my interest will renew once they hit the classic 2nd half descent into the shittiest possible position for the draft but I don't know man. It's just sadism at this point.

Last edited:

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
The eye test agrees with the analytics and the heat map. Through two periods the Leafs offense and chances were concentrated within the lower slot (the dark blue means lots of leafs activity) and the Canucks was not (dark orange.red means lots of Canuck activity...centered at the left point). Furthermore the scoring chances were 24 to 14 for the Leafs after two periods...or nearly a 2:1 as I said. Even more Drance as I found out later posted the exact same damn thing after the second.

I also said the Canucks outplayed and out chances the Leafs in the third which is also what the analytics said. Literally nothing I said in my post was incorrect. Through 40 while the shot differential was leaning Canucks the actual scoring chance differential was leaning strongly to the Leafs. When the Leafs had offensive zone control the Canucks were breaking down on a regular basis.
This heat map shows why the Canucks tend to be an opposing goalie dream. Easy perimeter shots to keep him warmed up. They should show more patience and take harder shots. The talk about "running into a hot goalie", or "their goalie stood on his head" or whatever are only ways to divert the attention from your own flaws to something exterior. They are so easy to read. Like comparing Harry Potter to The Canterbury Tales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad