Post-Game Talk: Canucks 0, Penguins 5

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I don't think the D neccessarily needs to be completely revamped. There's a couple of workable pieces moving forward with Hutton and Tanev (if we want to re-sign him and we definitely should want to). Stecher is another piece we could keep around, but at this point, he may be nothing more than a 3rd pairing defenseman.

xxxxxx - Tanev
Hutton - xxxxxx
xxxxxx - Stecher

We have Hughes and Juolevi who could fill those two vacant LD positions. The only position that we likely can't fill internally is another RD in our top-4. A trade or a FA signing has to be the answer here. In my opinion, the D can definitely be fixed pretty quickly.

Agreed. Those are the 3 I would probably keep as well. With your suggestion the Defence would be completely different and totally revamped.

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - UFA
Hutton - Stecher
Biega
Brisebois Woo

Pouliot & Del Zotto not resigned.
Edler hopefully delt at the deadline.
Gudbranson will be difficult to get off this team with that contract.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Something the present management has shown zero ability to do so far in more than 4 seasons (re: blueline). Ok, that's too harsh, Stecher was a good FA signing.

Well yeah, I don't have much confidence that Benning will make the right moves to propel this team into cup contention, but that's another story. The point is that it won't take much to substantially improve the D group. A lot of the pieces are already in place.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Only caught the 1st period...It seemed an even game at that point..It obviously went sideways in a hurry...Unacceptable score.

On the bright side,we did win a game in our 2 game series against the Penguins..It will be interesting to see how many other Western Conference teams can say that.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Two players we need off this team are Eriksson and Pouliot. Both were the weakest links at their positions, and while I have defended Eriksson in the past (not his contract mind you, just the player) both had way to much blown coverage to justify their rookie replacements being snubbed. Gaudette or Archibald would have made more impact than Eriksson, and swapping Juolevi with Pouliot would have been, at worst, a lateral move, and at best, we could have had some competent puck movement and maybe better defensive coverage.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’ve never been the biggest fan or critic of Pouliot, but that’s three games in a row now where he’s been the last man back making either an unpressured turnover or just suddenly blowing a tire and losing the puck or straight up falling down resulting in a virtual breakaway for the other team. If he was brutal before, I don’t have a word for it now. Not like we are swimming in options to insert in the lineup in his place, but man. When people are healthy, he needs to go to the press box.

Reactions: lousy and geebaan

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I’ve never been the biggest fan or critic of Pouliot, but that’s three games in a row now where he’s been the last man back making either an unpressured turnover or just suddenly blowing a tire and losing the puck or straight up falling down resulting in a virtual breakaway for the other team. If he was brutal before, I don’t have a word for it now. Not like we are swimming in options to insert in the lineup in his place, but man. When people are healthy, he needs to go to the press box.

I hear Europe is lovely this time of year...

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Consensus bottom 10 team (with a 6-6-0 record) loses to an elite SC contender....HFVan loses its collective shit,team is a bottom 5 confirmed...Allegiances suddenly change overnight as many posters abandon ship and jump into the tank thread....At least for today..Could be completely different in a few days.

Reactions: Cogburn

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well yeah, I don't have much confidence that Benning will make the right moves to propel this team into cup contention, but that's another story. The point is that it won't take much to substantially improve the D group. A lot of the pieces are already in place.
So, this also begs the question about what the Canucks should do with Edler and Tanev. What can they do Via trade or free agency to replace either guy should they trade them. Cause what they have now isn’t close to good enough. They really don’t have the horses to move up when guys go down for extended stretches.

Benning has shown he’s incapable of upgrading the back end.

Honestly, they are better of keeping the 2 guys to help develop and play with their 2 first round pick Dmen. Cause there is little reason to believe they can find people through other means that would do as wel aa job as the 2 guys we have.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Judging Bob Cole now is like judging the Sedins in their last season as Canucks. Bob Cole *was* a great play by play guy.

Yeah, he's cruising into the sunset after a long career, past his prime etc. But his play by play is basic with very little in the way of detail, and doesn't add much for me. However that could be intentional as I imagine a decent portion of the audience for HNIC are casual fans and it works for them.

Reactions: Hit the post

member 290103

Boeser doesn’t make any line mates better , EP does. I can’t count the amount of nice seam passes EP has made offensively to set up chances. Boeser is just a shooter (and not even great at that this year). Doesn’t hit, skate well, pass well. Can’t even compare the 2. BB can’t tie EP40 laces.

Just wanted to put it out there that, once again, JohnnyCanucker, you are spot on. You never fail to capture the reality of a situation. You are so correct, Brock Boeser is a terrible hockey player. I mean, what really has he done to warrant the reputation he carries?

I want to personally thank you for your continued insight. All this time I had really liked Brock Boeser as a hockey player. I enjoyed watching him, I saw him put up points, goals and finish second in voting for the best rookie in the NHL last season. Were it not for you, I'd have simply continued thinking he was a good player. Thanks again for your help.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Just wanted to put it out there that, once again, JohnnyCanucker, you are spot on. You never fail to capture the reality of a situation. You are so correct, Brock Boeser is a terrible hockey player. I mean, what really has he done to warrant the reputation he carries?

I want to personally thank you for your continued insight. All this time I had really liked Brock Boeser as a hockey player. I enjoyed watching him, I saw him put up points, goals and finish second in voting for the best rookie in the NHL last season. Were it not for you, I'd have simply continued thinking he was a good player. Thanks again for your help.
According to Swedish newspaper "Expressen", Casey DeSmith had 104 % save percentage. He must be the Chuck Norris of all goalies!
IMG_3659.PNG

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Am I the only one who hasn't though Pettersson and Boeser have looked good together? I think the only reason people think they should fit together is because pass+shot=good. I'm not saying that isn't the case, but I really think Boeser should be with Horvat. I know it may be unpopular but I want to just stick Virtanen with Pettersson and give him the year to actually see if he can make it in the NHL.

Agreed.

ES, I would put Eriksson with EP and Goldy, Brock with Bo (and Sven when he gets back).

I would put Virtanen with Sutter.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

What the hell are you thanking him for this is just what he wants. Now hes made us defensive about defending Boeser that we gottta thank guys like Johnny for being so negative. What the hell your losing it Bucko

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
- His refusal too trade for draft picks and instead opting for reclamation projects . Baertschi, Godobin , Leipsic, Pouliot etc I can’t say any of these players other than maybe Goldobin is he can start scoring have a future here if he is canned in the offseason

Don't forget about Granlund, Clendenning, Dowd, Motte and of course Vey!

The Roussel double minor wasn’t a penalty but when you have the reputation of being a minor penalty taking machine these things happen.

I know that penalties aren't to be reviewed, but I think there needs to be a review for high-sticking. Not all of them, but when a teammate high sticks their own player and gets a 4 minute power play for it that is ridiculous. Just add it into the coaches challenge since they are really trying to get the call right.

Consensus bottom 10 team (with a 6-6-0 record) loses to an elite SC contender....HFVan loses its collective ****,team is a bottom 5 confirmed...Allegiances suddenly change overnight as many posters abandon ship and jump into the tank thread....At least for today..Could be completely different in a few days.

I think most never really left team tank- we knew it would only be a matter of time until the teams true colors showed. Injuries and a lack of real talent on the roster it was bound to happen. We seem to always have a good October and then really bottom out after that. Speaking for myself, I never left team tank, but rather was just enjoying the success early on here as I know the wins will be few and far between moving forward. Especially with Edler out for up to 6 weeks.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Don't forget about Granlund, Clendenning, Dowd, Motte and of course Vey!

I know that penalties aren't to be reviewed, but I think there needs to be a review for high-sticking. Not all of them, but when a teammate high sticks their own player and gets a 4 minute power play for it that is ridiculous. Just add it into the coaches challenge since they are really trying to get the call right.

I think most never really left team tank- we knew it would only be a matter of time until the teams true colors showed. Injuries and a lack of real talent on the roster it was bound to happen. We seem to always have a good October and then really bottom out after that. Speaking for myself, I never left team tank, but rather was just enjoying the success early on here as I know the wins will be few and far between moving forward. Especially with Edler out for up to 6 weeks.

Yeah there is so many of this reclamation projects I have lost count

Reactions: THE Green Man

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Am I the only one who hasn't though Pettersson and Boeser have looked good together? I think the only reason people think they should fit together is because pass+shot=good. I'm not saying that isn't the case, but I really think Boeser should be with Horvat. I know it may be unpopular but I want to just stick Virtanen with Pettersson and give him the year to actually see if he can make it in the NHL.

Boeser doesn’t make any line mates better , EP does. I can’t count the amount of nice seam passes EP has made offensively to set up chances. Boeser is just a shooter (and not even great at that this year). Doesn’t hit, skate well, pass well. Can’t even compare the 2. BB can’t tie EP40 laces.

Just wanted to put it out there that, once again, JohnnyCanucker, you are spot on. You never fail to capture the reality of a situation. You are so correct, Brock Boeser is a terrible hockey player. ...

I feel silly that I'm about to speak negatively about a post criticizing Canucker, but in this case I think the sarcasm from the last post is off the mark.

I think Canucker goes off point. There's really no reason to discuss whether BB is as good as EP in a discussion about whether BB should be a linemate of EP. He certainly could have made his point without denigrating Boeser. I can't and won't defend his inflammatory wording.

On the other hand, let's say he'd made his point differently and said something like:

Boeser isn't the player he was last year. He isn't passing as well, he isn't shooting as well, he isn't skating as well. I don't see a fit with EP right now.

Would you or anyone else take offence?

The conversation starts out in the present, not the past or future, with Intagibos discussing whether Boeser looks good with Pettersson and wanting him to play with Horvat. Canucker stayed in the present tense. So far this season he's been a shadow of himself. The negative wording is awful, but I don't thi nk it is reasonable to pretend that BB is the player you saw last season.

If the sarcasm was aimed at using negative wording I'd think it appropriate. Instead, it spoke of Boeser's play-last season instead of this.

Last edited:

member 290103

I feel silly that I'm about to partly defend a post by someone I normally disagree with, but in this case I think the sarcasm from the last post is off the mark.

I think Canucker goes off point. There's really no reason to discuss whether BB is as good as EP in a discussion about whether BB should be a linemate of EP. He certainly could have made his point without denigrating Boeser. I can't and won't defend his inflammatory wording.

On the other hand, let's say he'd made his point differently and said something like:

Boeser isn't the player he was last year. He isn't passing as well, he isn't shooting as well, he isn't skating as well. I don't see a fit with EP right now.

Would you or anyone else take offence.

The conversation starts out in the present, not the past or future, with Intagibos discussing whether Boeser looks good with Pettersson and wanting him to play with Horvat.

Then Canucks comes on and speaks of Boeser being worse than EP, not hitting, skating well, passing well or even shooting well. He is responding as well in the present tense. Is there anyone out there that will argue that so far this season BB makes his linemates better, shoots well, passes well, skates well or hits? Pretty clearly he was really good last season, but for whatever reason (most attribute it to not being recovered yet from his back injury) he really isn't the player we know he was and expect he will be again.

It's almost as if Canucker is trolling and not genuine. Hmm....

Reactions: tyhee

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
It's almost as if Canucker is trolling and not genuine. Hmm....

Sigh. I'd had trouble with my post and posted, then tried to quickly edit it into form hoping nobody would be quick to reply.

As to the point of your comment about not being genuine, to defer to the forum rules I'll merely mention again that his post was unnecessarily inflammatory and wasn't really on point.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I feel silly that I'm about to speak negatively about a post criticizing Canucker, but in this case I think the sarcasm from the last post is off the mark.

Would you or anyone else take offence?

The conversation starts out in the present, not the past or future, with Intagibos discussing whether Boeser looks good with Pettersson and wanting him to play with Horvat. Canucker stayed in the present tense. So far this season he's been a shadow of himself. The negative wording is awful, but I don't thi nk it is reasonable to pretend that BB is the player you saw last season.

If the sarcasm was aimed at using negative wording I'd think it appropriate. Instead, it spoke of Boeser's play-last season instead of this.

A lot of that was over my head but I would like to hire you as my lawyer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad