Confirmed with Link: Canucks’ games vs TOR, ARI postponed; Myers in protocol (Dec 18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
A good point here about the fact that both players who tested positive were not among those with the team during the outbreak last year:

Very interesting. Also from solely a leadership perspective if an outbreak gets bad it will be very telling how it is dealt with. Can't be worse than last year.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Very interesting. Also from solely a leadership perspective if an outbreak gets bad it will be very telling how it is dealt with. Can't be worse than last year.
I don’t believe that the Canucks were vaccinated at the time of their outbreak last year. Over 1/3 of the roster has turned over. Dickinson was Part of the Dallas team who had an outbreak last season. So hopefully those that were here have immunity.

But it’s the reality of the world today. NHL may have to up their protocols with limiting interactions. No going out when on the road, etc.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I would be shocked if they still allow fans in to watch the games if there is that much virus spreading daily. The provincial government is probably keen to act sooner than later to try and nip it in the bud than to get to that worst case scenario.

Reactions: mossey3535

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
What a difference a year and change of management makes to how The Canucks have dealt with Covid.

Canucks shut down because of COVID-19: Timeline, variant concerns, schedule, what's next

Last season:
  • Player with false positive is taken off ice. The team continues to practice and practices the next morning. Green says they were hoping it was a false positive when there is a 4-9% of that happening.
  • No word from Francesco or Benning until 5 days after the first case where Benning basically just says follow public health orders ans stay safe through Canucks twitter. At this point there were 20 cases in the organization.
  • Benning doesn't appear in front of the media until 11 days after the first case.
This season
  • Morning skate canceled
  • Rutherford infront of media on the same afternoon as the first covid case was announced.
Just night and day. It's amazing how disorganized and unprepared this organization is. We saw the same thing this year with ownership, but last year it actually put lives and livelihood at stake.

I forgot that quote by Green and how stupid it was. What a clown show organization. Rutherford already seems to be making a difference to how organized our organization is. Thank goodness Benning and Green weren't around for another outbreak.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I don’t believe that the Canucks were vaccinated at the time of their outbreak last year. Over 1/3 of the roster has turned over. Dickinson was Part of the Dallas team who had an outbreak last season. So hopefully those that were here have immunity.

But it’s the reality of the world today. NHL may have to up their protocols with limiting interactions. No going out when on the road, etc.
The effectiveness of the vaccinates is only as good as wearing an N95 mask 24/7 after a few months, and some studies find that some WHO-approved C19 vaxx only offer 0~20% protection after 6 months. They need the booster shot ASAP. They need to know the fact.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
It’s crazy to me that the league has basically 100% vaccination status and is still forcing asymptomatic players to sit out as if they have the plague.

I appreciate that a lot of this has to do with appeasing local health authorities who have the ability to shut down the league, but the NHL cannot continue to operate like this into perpetuity.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
It’s worth remembering our data regarding omicron is still incomplete. We might be returning to square one of the pandemic, albeit armed with a lot more knowledge.

I think this is the transition to COVID as an endemic disease. The majority of people will probably be end up infected with COVID in the next couple months, but severity of the average case will be relatively mild due to vaccinations. Combo of vaccination plus infection provides strong protection against future infections.

Reactions: quat

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s crazy to me that the league has basically 100% vaccination status and is still forcing asymptomatic players to sit out as if they have the plague.

I appreciate that a lot of this has to do with appeasing local health authorities who have the ability to shut down the league, but the NHL cannot continue to operate like this into perpetuity.
Every league is doing this. NFL and NBA right now too.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

I would be shocked if they still allow fans in to watch the games if there is that much virus spreading daily. The provincial government is probably keen to act sooner than later to try and nip it in the bud than to get to that worst case scenario.

That is nothing more that fear mongering and click bait (the article not your post), it is the worse case scenario and the likely of that happening is remote. Not saying it won't happen but media always posts the worse case and never the most probably case scenario.

Nov 1, 2011

Keep an eye on the hospitalization numbers rather than the case numbers as they are what drives policy.

Hopefully Omicron hospitalizes very few.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

A lot of this has to do with the consequences if optimistic hopeful forecasts are wrong. You can't run a multi-billion dollar business with some pollyanna vision that this will all just blow over.

Yes, there are some early murmurings that Omicron may be milder than other variants. But you cannot and should not make decisions without being armed with verifiable data. Data that takes time to collect and verify.

I would have thought that with 8 years of Benning and his hopium, we'd all be on the same page about this simple fact of life as adults with actual responsibilities.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
A lot of this has to do with the consequences if optimistic hopeful forecasts are wrong. You can't run a multi-billion dollar business with some pollyanna vision that this will all just blow over.

Yes, there are some early murmurings that Omicron may be milder than other variants. But you cannot and should not make decisions without being armed with verifiable data. Data that takes time to collect and verify.

I would have thought that with 8 years of Benning and his hopium, we'd all be on the same page about this simple fact of life as adults with actual responsibilities.
Hope for the best; plan for the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad