Confirmed with Link: Canucks’ COVID Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This thread is to discuss the ongoing COVID crisis hitting the Vancouver Canucks. Discussion of the team, the league, and the local community’s responses to it is permitted.

This is not a general purpose COVID thread to discuss the pandemic on a Provincial, National or Global scale. This is also not a thread for politics.

Stay on topic please.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Team should concentrate on health and not worry about this season it's not making playoffs. Hope everyone makes full recovery time now to see what the kids are and play them more when they come back. Silver lining is we get a better pick. Get healthy Canucks and be safe.

Reactions: mossey3535

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
“Last night we had a pretty good idea we were good to go this morning," Green said, adding later: "We're preparing to play. We haven't been told otherwise." - Coach Green

Unbelievable hubris. Whoever is advising the team on covid protocols failed hard.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Oh wow, I guess I misunderstood the timeline here. So they had a practice with a confirmed positive on the ice, and then had everyone skate together the next day? That’s wild.

Yeah. It was bizarre when it happened, and outright insanity in hindsight.

I don’t know exactly how the NHL protocol works - but Gaudette’s positive result came in while he was on the ice practicing with the team. And by that point, clearly, the damage was done (between being in the room, the tunnels, the bench, and then the ice with his teammates and coaches, who then took it and spread it at a game day skate the following day)

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah. It was bizarre when it happened, and outright insanity in hindsight.

I don’t know exactly how the NHL protocol works - but Gaudette’s positive result came in while he was on the ice practicing with the team. And by that point, clearly, the damage was done (between being in the room, the tunnels, the bench, and then the ice with his teammates and coaches, who then took it and spread it at a game day skate the following day)

one of the articles mentions that they were hoping that Gaudette was a false positive. Was that actually reasoning given by someone in the team, or is that the author trying to devils-advocate some kind or reasoning to their actions?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Good report, though it really doesn't say anything new, but does seem to clarify it IMHO.

Also, I thought this was new:

“As we approach the stretch run of the 2020/21 Regular Season, we have begun to encounter incidences of non-compliance with the COVID-19 Protocol, which have resulted in exposure to, and infection from, the COVID virus (and super-contagious variants there of),” the memo to the Canucks and other teams began. “These have resulted in a number of recent group and Club-wide quarantines and other disruptions to Club routines and schedules. The purpose of this memorandum is to remind Club personnel that now is not the time to relax attention to and compliance with the COVID-19 Protocol.”

Have other NHL teams recently had Club-wide quarantines?

Are they referring to the Habs which engaged in best practices from the beginning of the season - of same day testing - and limited their contagious variant from spreading beyond one positive and one close contact?

Or are they referring to the Canucks, who not only didn't use same day testing, they didn't even wait for the previous day's test results before stepping on the ice? And which has spread to around 20 people. I say around because the org has not provided any information beyond a formulaic holding statement.

Good word, huh. Formulaic. I thought I had invented a new word like I did with mediocripurgatoryexpialidocious but spell check seems to like it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
one of the articles mentions that they were hoping that Gaudette was a false positive. Was that actually reasoning given by someone in the team, or is that the author trying to devils-advocate some kind or reasoning to their actions?

The only statement we have from the team since the game postponement is the brief blurb they released the other day. Anything else is second hand from the media. (Not saying it’s not accurate, just that it’s not right from the horse’s mouth)

Reactions: mossey3535

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The only statement we have from the team since the game postponement is the brief blurb they released the other day. Anything else is second hand from the media. (Not saying it’s not accurate, just that it’s not right from the horse’s mouth)

also, how is it possible that the league protocols don’t include not allowing close contacts of a positive to interact mask-less with everyone else until it’s known that they’re good?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Even if the team technically followed protocol, it’s absolutely inexcusable not to recognize the giant, enormous gaping hole in the protocol and just ignore the huge potential shitstorm they’re inviting by having them skate in that situation just because it’s technically allowed.

What’s the point in any of these precautions if you’re just going to carry on business-as-usual when you do have a positive?

Reactions: mossey3535 and Dab

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Based on new developments...it does not look good for the organization as a whole. Evidently, protocol failed.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I realize there could be more test positive but based on % of the team that has got it so far, this has to be one of the worst team outbreaks in all of sports.
Look it as a positive in a way. It shows the team isn't made of of several "cliques". One tight group that unfortunately made it easier for COVID to spread. Except for Loui E. Somebody has to do the laundry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad