Canuck Random Thoughts & Gripes ...

bcjonny

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
In no particular order.

- How come my seasons tickets for Canucks Games went up 5% when the salary cap went down almost 10%.

- Why did I buy a Schneider Jersey when he was the goalie of the future. Luongo was the player that was to be traded.

- If Lecavalier signs for 4.5 over 5 maybe that's a good price point for a Henrik and Daniel Sedin to get re upped in the new lowered salary cap reality. Definitely not in line for a raise. If they are committed to bringing a Cup to Vancouver they should give a big hometown discount.

- How come all the players that seem to be the biggest thorns in the Canucks side get traded to division rivals. Maybe we can get them on our team... for a change.

- Why does there seem to be such a huge disconnect between ownership - management - the fans?

- GM MG please take note all GM's are operating under a new collective agreement and went through the lockout. Just like you. Don't hear them complaining and making excuses.

- It's just a matter of time for Luongo to be traded. He aint smiling. Probably was eyeing a compliance buyout and a new team and contract.

- Lets see if we can get him to the Olympics so he can dump us at the altar after.

- Good to see its not just our GM who came on to the scene promising bold moves then fails to deliver.

- I give Torterella 3 years of the rooms attention. Several carcasses left in the press box and no chance winning a battle by benching any player making over 5 million dollars. Lets hope he learned from benching Brad Richards... deserved or not.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
In no particular order.

- How come my seasons tickets for Canucks Games went up 5% when the salary cap went down almost 10%.

I had that question as well, but i'm assuming it's for added expenses.

- Why did I buy a Schneider Jersey when he was the goalie of the future. Luongo was the player that was to be traded.

I said 2 years ago Schneider would have to be traded eventually. Not shocking really.

- If Lecavalier signs for 4.5 over 5 maybe that's a good price point for a Henrik and Daniel Sedin to get re upped in the new lowered salary cap reality. Definitely not in line for a raise. If they are committed to bringing a Cup to Vancouver they should give a big hometown discount.

I don't get this. Lecavalier signed for $4.5 mil/year... but he also just got paid out a number of years at $7 mil... so really he's getting 2 contracts.... That and the cap will go back up next year...

- How come all the players that seem to be the biggest thorns in the Canucks side get traded to division rivals. Maybe we can get them on our team... for a change.

... such as? Hejduk didn't move last I checked and there's not that many Nuck killers left in the NW... thus the dominance in the division.

- Why does there seem to be such a huge disconnect between ownership - management - the fans?

Fans are pretty silly (even myself) most of the time. Management has made some brutal decisions with some good decisions. No idea on ownership.

- It's just a matter of time for Luongo to be traded. He aint smiling. Probably was eyeing a compliance buyout and a new team and contract.

I'm not sure if that would increase the season ticket prices more to pay out $25 mil to make your starting goalie go away...

- Lets see if we can get him to the Olympics so he can dump us at the altar after.

?

- Good to see its not just our GM who came on to the scene promising bold moves then fails to deliver.

This I agree with.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
Re: ticket prices. Just because the cap is down doesn't mean other expenses are down. Also the demand still outweighs the supply by a ****ton.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
A lot of it just comes down to Gillis being incompetent and fans seeing through him and his talk. He didn't build this, at least not the good parts and has failed to put the team over the top and is now in some sort of weird stuck in the middle, not quite cup contender not rebuilding almost acceptance that the team won't win a cup but we should still give them our money because you know... Booth is coming back.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Has Luongo commented yet? Usually you mouth a few platitudes on these occasions.

If, for whatever reason, Luongo is sick of Vancouver and won't be placated, then Canucks are utterly hooped. They do not have another NHL ready goalie. They would have to sign or trade for a starter and the laughter would never die down.

Hal 9000*

In no particular order.

- GM MG please take note all GM's are operating under a new collective agreement and went through the lockout. Just like you. Don't hear them complaining and making excuses.

- I give Torterella 3 years of the rooms attention. Several carcasses left in the press box and no chance winning a battle by benching any player making over 5 million dollars. Lets hope he learned from benching Brad Richards... deserved or not.

!) - It's not just about salary, there are other declines in revenue as well as revenue sharing to consider.

2) - I Don't know? It's never wise to buy the jersey when a situation is still "fluid". I noticed many shops unloading Luongo stuff at bargain prices, but was too late for some sales...Oh well. Here's an idea, change the #35 to a #53 and switch to Horvat.

3) - I hope we have the beginning of a first line by then, then the Sedins can/should sign for $3-3.5 mil as second liners.

4) - No, Bolland just went to Toronto, Clutterbuck to NYI. "Seems" is the operative word here.

5) - The disconnect is with the fans hearing what they want to here. The decision to move Schneider made sense from a money standpoint and a hockey standpoint. Why people didn't see it? I don't know.

6) - Luongo will move one way or another, but not until he is usurped by one of our 3 up and comers - likely 2-3 years from now.

7) - I assume that just like Brodeur, the Olympics should be Luongo's job to lose. Let's hope for another gold.

8) - Most Gm's fail to deliver eventually.

9) - Sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
Has Luongo commented yet? Usually you mouth a few platitudes on these occasions.

If, for whatever reason, Luongo is sick of Vancouver and won't be placated, then Canucks are utterly hooped. They do not have another NHL ready goalie. They would have to sign or trade for a starter and the laughter would never die down.

What is Luo going to do? Obviously with the new CBA and his contract no other team wanted him. None. Zip. Nada. If he wants to play hockey and earn the millions left on the contract he will have to suck it up and realize that it is Vancouver or retirement.

JD12

Jul 11, 2008
PE, Canada
In no particular order.

Couple things. First, Schneider trade is probably one of the boldest moves by any gm in quite some time, sorry you bought a jersey, stuff happens. Second point, it's July 2nd, if the team remains the same then ya your point is valid but to make that point right now puts in line with all the other "fans" who can't seem to do anything but gripe constantly despite the team coming off of one of it's most successful periods ever. Yes, everyone wants a cup, 30 teams do, they compete for it every year, 1 team wins. The goal is to win the cup and ya it's disappointing we haven't gotten there yet but everything ownership and management has done so far indicates they feel the same way so instead of jumping the gun, starting useless threads maybe we could wait and see what happens. I can't see the future, I doubt you can either.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
-why do annoying posts like this pop up immediately following the draft, free agency, and the trade deadline?

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Re: ticket prices. Just because the cap is down doesn't mean other expenses are down. Also the demand still outweighs the supply by a ****ton.
I think this is not completely true anymore.

When I visited Vancouver in Spring 2012 it was easy to get tickets even for the playoffs. For game #1 I remember buying it on gameday. (I also went to the last 5 regular season home games. Those tickets I bought way ahead, like in December. Turned out, there would have been absolutely no problem getting tickets right on gameday.)

This year's playoffs I remember checking ticket availability just for fun, and there's was lots available until the very last moment before homegames. And weren't they selling playoff tickets at half prices to Canucks employees as well?

I really think the Canucks kind of reached the upper limit in terms of ticket prices.

Rocky-

Aug 2, 2005
Better keep hold of that 2nd compliance buyout. May very well need it on Luongo if things don't go well this year. He's not happy.
While it was by all accounts a good draft by the Canucks with their picks the trade will probably be in the same category as the Cam Neely trade- one that will haunt us for a long long time.
Not sure who had more pull on the decision to keep Luongo but it was handled poorly and we may very well end up with a veteran fill in and some good prospective goalies but not Schneider who could become a great one. Ownership and Gillis need to be accountable and if this fails- a change of GM will hopefully be made. Obviously money was the deciding factor and that relays back to the contract itself and ownerships value of money over team- they didn't have to trade Schneider- they had a choice.
If Luongo is here for 5 years- a big if- Canucks will have 3.8 million less in cap space available to them for each of years 2018 to 2022/23. Not a concern now but at the time it comes it will be. I suspect it will become a topic of conversation.
If I'm a free agent I'm more inclined not to go to Vancouver because of the way they've handled this whole situation. I'd go there for the money but I'd look at other options if comparable first.
Ownership shouldn't be raising ticket prices etc. Late last year we saw discounted ticket prices and possibility of end of sellouts. I'd be worried about that as an owner and as a fan I'd be more inclined to just watch on TV. Other factors such as cost of living factor in as well.
Bottom line- hope that Luongo has his heart in it to play his A game on a consistent level. Hope the team is competitive and makes the playoffs- that may be a challenge this coming year- especially if goaltending is an issue. Hope we can find enough cap room to fill our roster with decent role players and sign players like Tanev. Hope he doesn't get offer sheeted by teams knowing the Canucks are having cap problems. Hope the fans stay tuned in and not divided and hope the dressing room isn't poisoned.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Weren't they having a hard time selling tickets this year? I thought I remember they lost a lot of season ticket holds and I've noticed empty seats at Canuck games something that wasn't that noticeable in past years.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
- thanks for the post, i'll call you next time i have a question about the canucks

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
In no particular order.

1) 5 home playoff games in 2 seasons certainly doesn't help.

2) Local media really dropped the ball on that one, maybe you can get it changed.

3) The Sedins still out-produce Lecavalier.

4) Not sure who you are talking about here.

5) Because ownership is terrible with the media, and the media does a poor job educating the fans and debunking myths.

6) And a lot of GM's are using compliance buyouts.

7) You don't hand him $27M just because he isn't happy 3 years into a 12 year contract.

8) Uh, what?

9) Torts may be just what that room needs after years of AV letting the players run the room.

Dado

I think Torts may be the best factor in this whole offseason.

He's going to contrast nicely with this guy...

David Booth ‏@D_Booth7 7h
Studying theology at Oxford University with @RaviZacharias my brain is being worked. Getting answers to life's most difficult questions.
Mr. Volcano vs Mr Mellow Jesus

King of the ES*

What is Luo going to do? Obviously with the new CBA and his contract no other team wanted him. None. Zip. Nada. If he wants to play hockey and earn the millions left on the contract he will have to suck it up and realize that it is Vancouver or retirement.

You're right, but...

Quebec could've done the same thing with Eric Lindros, the Grizzlies could've done the same thing with Steve Francis, hell, if you believe some of the reports about Cody Hodgson, the Canucks could've done the same thing with him.

And you can say that comparing Luongo to either Lindros or Francis is extreme, but it might not be. He's asked for a trade - we know that for a fact. He's wanted to move on for over a year - another fact. There's a good chance that last year's "professional" charade may have just been an acting job instructed upon him by Mike Gillis, as a way to make him easier to trade.

No other way to describe this, really, except that it is a total disaster.

Nov 1, 2011

In this market ticket prices aren't set based on costs they are set based on what the customer is willing to pay (it's basically a monopoly for top tier hockey in the lower mainland).

To suggest ticket prices would go down in any way when expenses goes down is just a lie that owners tell fans. The fans that believe them show a complete lack of knowledge about the situation (just like in the previous lockout).

Because you jumped the gun and didn't wait for the goalie situation to be settled before buying your jersey. There are a lot of posters here who were made fun of because they were saying that Schneider may be traded instead of Luongo.

Tough to use one guy, who has been injury riddled and underpreforming for several years as an example...why not look at Datsyuk or Elias instead? Seems like you are pushing for the cheapest guy despite him not really being comparable or actually taking a "hometown discount".

I hope the Sedins sign contracts for $2M next time but honestly, they don't owe it to us to play for huge discounts.

I can't name more then 3 NHL owners. I assume there usually is a disconnect between owners and fans. In regards to management, they give interviews a lot and appear on regular weekly shows.

I do however hope that we hire an ambassador as President to help do PR for us, I was made fun of for suggesting Gretzky but it seems like MLSE is on the same plan.

Most GMs aren't being asked to explain their moves as much as Gillis. Nobody is asking Tampa, Philly, and Toronto why they are tossing good assets away in buyouts yet we focus on beating the crap out of Gillis for trading an asset for value instead of using a buyout, so he has to explain it. It's not an excuse because you don't like the explanation.

I think your opinion says more about you than reality. Luongo seems to be a consummate professional to me, I think he's going to come in ready to play next year and I just hope the media and fans don't badger him if he has a bad game...I can tell based on posts like this that they probably will.

We have a new coach and settled to goalie situation...for me, so far so good...now we just need one more top 6 forward and a defensive centre that can PK and win face-offs (Gordon/Chipchura or both).

I hope Torts is good for two years...if he can give us that, it will be a huge improvement over AV who it seems was tuned out and ran out of ideas two years ago.

Torts is known as one of the top coaches in the league. I am not a fan of his hire but I could see it working out and am willing to give it a chance, seems like you are already passing judgement.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I can't organize my thoughts and put them individually into places where they offer value to anyone other than me (because I loooove to see my own posts)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad