OT: Canuck fans' opinions on Swedish Hockey Players

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
Okay, so I'm sorry if there's been a post like this earlier but I'll let mods remove this then if it's been asked already.

As a swede I'm mainly curious about what Canucks fans from Canada and USA think about swedish players.

I know the Sedin twins get a lot of crap for not very physical and "*******" etc.. But what do you as fans think? I'm just curious and I would love to see a second coming of Näslund! :)

The reason I'm asking I guess is cause I'm really patriotic when it comes to hockey haha and I really hope swedish players are liked by my favorite teams fans :p

Sorry for all the text!!! Cheers guys! :D

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't intentionally discriminate against certain countries, though the style of play I tend to prefer seems to be more consistent with the style we see Canadians and Americans playing.

A couple things I've noticed with Swedish players though:

1) Holding penalties are quite common. Perhaps clutching and grabbing is more common in the SEL and thus a bit of a transition for some players?

2) Sweden tends to pump out quality goaltenders like a factory. It's quite amazing actually.

Blob

Aug 22, 2007
Everybody knows that the Swedes are weak, strawberry-eating southerners.

The Norse, and those of us of Norwegian ancestry, are the true Vikings!

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I thought it was obvious considering the Sedins and Naslund have been or currently are franchise players for the Canucks. We Love Them! And anyone calling the Sedins weak or ******* wouldn't last a game in their skates. They take unbelievable ammounts of abuse that goes uncalled. Plus Swedan has produced two of the best defenseman in franchise history with Edler and Ohlund.

We excludes y2kCanucks

Last edited:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Okay, so I'm sorry if there's been a post like this earlier but I'll let mods remove this then if it's been asked already.

As a swede I'm mainly curious about what Canucks fans from Canada and USA think about swedish players.

I know the Sedin twins get a lot of crap for not very physical and "*******" etc.. But what do you as fans think? I'm just curious and I would love to see a second coming of Näslund! :)

The reason I'm asking I guess is cause I'm really patriotic when it comes to hockey haha and I really hope swedish players are liked by my favorite teams fans :p

Sorry for all the text!!! Cheers guys! :D

You've come to the right place. I think you'll find us very Swede friendly. I'm a big fan.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Here are the countries I prefer the hockey players on my fave team to be from in order of preference...

1. Canada - value the Stanley Cup over any other hockey trophy/championship in the world

2. USA - same goes for USA born players

3. Sweden - generally skilled, well coached and creative.

4. Finland - bit more of a hardworking gritty type player with occasional high-end skill

5. Russia - most likely primadonnas chasing dollars. highly skilled and well coached but run the risk of drafting headcases.

6. Czech Republic - tend to play well with other countrymen

7. Other countries

I feel dirty even posting this because it's based on stereotypical generalities. But whatev...tell me I'm wrong. I'm going to non-politically correct H E double hockey sticks.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Here are the countries I prefer the hockey players on my fave team to be from in order of preference...

1. Canada - value the Stanley Cup over any other hockey trophy/championship in the world

4. Finland - bit more of a hardworking gritty type player with occasional high-end skill

5. Russia - most likely primadonnas chasing dollars. highly skilled and well coached but run the risk of drafting headcases.

7. Other countries

I feel dirty even posting this because it's based on stereotypical generalities. But whatev...tell me I'm wrong. I'm going to non-politically correct H E double hockey sticks.

Its like you think the world is like a story book filled with archetypes and fantasy stories!
I bet you believe in "happily ever after" as well.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
My opinion of Swedish hockey players is almost competely dependent on which Swedish hockey player you refer to. I prefer not to let nationality inform my expectations of a player before I see him or evaluations after I do. I just like to watch them play. When I see Zetterberg I don't think primarily about him being Swedish, for example.

The only time that ever really interests me is seeing how countries select/run their Olympic program and development programs, or when people are scouting prospects from different regions.

Otherwise it inevitably leads to some xenophobia-tinged diatribe somewhere or another...

Culturally, on the other hand, it's interesting. The biggest names in three Canadian cities in the past two decades are all Swedes: Sedins in Vancouver, Alfredsson in Ottawa, and Sundin in Toronto. Coincidence? Do Swedish players like Canada's health care and thus stay in Canada more often than other players? I have no idea. It has crossed my mind from time to time, though.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
Thanks for all the fast replies :) Great to know swedes are appreciated! When I'm done studying I will start looking for possibilities to move to Canada, preferably Vancouver! So hopefully we're not hated outside the hockey community, whatever community that would be in Canada...

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Naslund, Ohlund, Edler, Henrik, Daniel, Samuelson, Sundin. Yea we like Swedes here, we have had a Swedish backbone for this team for over a decade now, and it has been our greatest decade in franchise history so that should speak for itself.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

7. Other countries

change USA to loudmouth headline chasers and yeah, those are the (unfortunate) stereotypes.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Naslund, Ohlund, Edler, Henrik, Daniel, Samuelson, Sundin. Yea we like Swedes here, we have had a Swedish backbone for this team for over a decade now, and it has been our greatest decade in franchise history so that should speak for itself.

My sentiments exactly.
The only thing I'll add by way of stereotype is that for the most part our Swedes have been low maintenance players. Just quietly go about their business....
except that one time with Samuelsson when he got left off the Olympic team. :)

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
My sentiments exactly.
The only thing I'll add by way of stereotype is that for the most part our Swedes have been low maintenance players. Just quietly go about their business....
except that one time with Samuelsson when he got left off the Olympic team. :)

Samuelsson isnt very well thought of over here either after that...

I hope Canucks will have a Forsberg type of player in my life time :D

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The first Swede I noticed was Borje Salming, who was a terrific player, took heaps of abuse, and was easy to cheer for. The first Canuck Swede I noticed was Thomas Gradin, who was similar. That set the pattern. They haven't all been great, of course, and one Swedish defenceman made a famous bonehead mistake for the Canucks in a crucial game, but my impression is that Swedes have an excellent approach to the game.

A couple of years ago Ray Ferraro was asked about the different Swedish teammates he'd had over the years, and his answer was quite something, like he had to struggle to find words of high enough praise.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
The first Swede I noticed was Borje Salming, who was a terrific player, took heaps of abuse, and was easy to cheer for. The first Canuck Swede I noticed was Thomas Gradin, who was similar. That set the pattern. They haven't all been great, of course, and one Swedish defenceman made a famous bonehead mistake for the Canucks in a crucial game, but my impression is that Swedes have an excellent approach to the game.

A couple of years ago Ray Ferraro was asked about the different Swedish teammates he'd had over the years, and his answer was quite something, like he had to struggle to find words of high enough praise.

That's nice to hear! :)

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
To me it seems most swedes play really well positionally (Sedins, Zetterburg, Grossman, Pahlsson to name a few) and I prefer that type of game to North American take your man hockey.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sweden is my 2nd favourite hockey nation after Canada, of course. Such great people and such great hockey players. I also like their style. It seems like a lot of them play with such creativity and high IQ, hence the number of high end playmakers who are Swedish (Forsberg, both Sedins, Backstrom, Zetterberg, Karlsson on defense etc.).

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

You don't happen to recall the defender's name who made that bonehead play, do you? ;^]
One of the team's best-ever trades was sending a draft pick to Chicago for Gradin's rights... And then 15-or-so years later shipping another bust first rounder to Pittsburgh for that Naslund guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad