Post-Game Talk: Can't lose'em all

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Your coming around...slowly. Must be the age thingy! Lol

(I'm probably older then you)

A fundamental problem with Molson is that he did not have any deep experience as GM or CEO so he really can't teach or direct his GM. With Bergy, it's was pretty much the blind leading the blind and together they have muddled through till now. Upside is they learned. Downside is we suffered. It's not a given that they would have been hugely successful if they were more experienced given how many variables they deal with...but there would of been a higher probability of morevsuccesful seasons.

A decade of learning and more sane decisions now is what makes me hesitant of throwing that out for a shiney new GM...that needs training wheels.

By far the biggest impact on the team would be pre-contract Price. He can instil the drive the guys seem to lose too quickly and stabilize the defense. Back to what made us successful last playoffs.

Or...

If he comes back as a mediocre goaltender living on his diminishing reputation, we are screwed. Possibly for the next four years. He's got us wrapped around his finger and wherever he points...we plunge there.

That's one of the issues I have with Molson. When it comes to finances, he has gone above and beyond to make sure the team has everything it needs. His mistake is thinking he was smarter (hockey wise) than he really is. A lot of our issues may not have gotten as big, if he would have brought in a team President, with hockey experience. Failing to do that, when times got tough. We had both Molson and Bergevin learning on the fly. With no one to back them up.

As much as they get slammed here. Yes they have learned, and yes they have gotten better. Yet we still face the same issues we've faced during their whole tenure.

1. Drafting
2. Player Development
3. Creating a complete roster

For a team that was supposed to build through the draft. Yet the team has done minimal to try and obtain more draft picks. So to put it mildly, we've done a piss poor job in this area. Yes we have some interesting prospects, but it's going to be awhile before they'll be able to contribute, if ever.

It took way too long for Bergevin to fire his buddy Lefebvre. They seem to be heading in the right direction. First with Bouchard and now with Houle. But it's still too early, and will be awhile before we start seeing some results.

He's built a forward group with strong wingers. Yet our centers continue to be a problem. Which is something we've faced during the last 10 yrs. How long did we go without a competent back up goalie for Price? Allen might not be a top tier goalie. But I'll give Bergevin credit for adding him.

Our defense, which we seem to disagree on is in shambles. We don't have one defenseman who can consistently move the puck out of our defensive zone. Bergevin atleast realizes this is a problem. Yet he has only come up with band aid solutions.

This is why I'm saying that Price isn't holding us back. If you take a close look at the team. We have some good individual pieces. Yet there are still a lot of holes that need to be fixed. If Price comes back mediocre, yes we are screwed. We got to see first hand the last few seasons, if Price isn't playing super human. We're an average team. A good team shouldn't need their goalie to play at that level to win. As much as I hate saying it, we're not a good team.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think its more a case off hopelessness, we are trying to make the playoffs and are sucking. Not much of a future for this franchise. I think at this point most fans would welcome a house cleaning and a few tank seasons.

I think what’s really depressing is to look over the contracts and realizing this is essentially the same team going into next year. Sure, we’ll move a UFA or two and maybe bring in another player but the majority of the team will be back.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think what’s really depressing is to look over the contracts and realizing this is essentially the same team going into next year. Sure, we’ll move a UFA or two and maybe bring in another player but the majority of the team will be back.

Depressing maybe but if we have another year like this next year, we could be set for awhile. Top ten picks back to back (provided its a new group selecting and developing) can change this franchise in a hurry.

One of Fantilli, Dvorsky, Bedard and Michkov would give us a legitimate star.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Depressing maybe but if we have another year like this next year, we could be set for awhile. Top ten picks back to back (provided its a new group selecting and developing) can change this franchise in a hurry.

One of Fantilli, Dvorsky, Bedard and Michkov would give us a legitimate star.

Oh… the long game I am aware of and from a rebuilding standpoint, I’m all for it. I’m just talking more about the pain in between. Ultimately, I maintain I’ll be fine with it if there was a clear cut plan but of course, there is no plan.

If there is a new management group and change in organizational culture, then I’ll tolerate the pain.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This might not be a popular opinion. When Hoffman comes back. It wouldn't surprise me if Caufield is sent back to Laval. His game is off right now. I lost track on how many times he either fumbled or fanned on one of his shots.
This has been an issue with Caufield even dating back to last season in the NHL. Yes, he was great in the playoffs, but he still fumbled or fanned on shots too much.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
This has been an issue with Caufield even dating back to last season in the NHL. Yes, he was great in the playoffs, but he still fumbled or fanned on shots too much.

He did absolutely do the same thing last year. I kinda attributed it to being nervous during his NHL debut and thought he would eventually start to crank them in instead of fanning. Doesn't seem to be the case...............yet, I guess. Hopefully once he gets one in the floodgates will open.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh… the long game I am aware of and from a rebuilding standpoint, I’m all for it. I’m just talking more about the pain in between. Ultimately, I maintain I’ll be fine with it if there was a clear cut plan but of course, there is no plan.

If there is a new management group and change in organizational culture, then I’ll tolerate the pain.

You might recall that the mandate that ownership gave to the current management from its inception, involved putting together a team that is competitive every season.

That kind of approach evidently stifles the possibility of a rebuild and as we’ve seen on this team’s low ebb, the most that management would engage in is a “reset”, which Geoff Molson publicly endorsed a few years ago. Evenso, we heard many different definitions of what a reset entails but the overwhelming guiding principle was that it would have to be a very short turnaround period. Why? Because that’s what ownership directed.

Ownership claimed that this fanbase would never accept a rebuild. Based on what — the Habs winning so many Cups in the 60s and 70s? Those fans are not the dominant Habs consumer nowadays. Today’s fans are not beholden to some unrealistic standard that can’t exist in the age of parity and a 32-team league.

That “reset” moniker became a parody unto itself when in the off season it was in effect, Bergevin claimed that he both wanted to build through the draft and make the playoffs. Again, reflecting ownership’s spineless approach of trying to please everyone at the same time and as we’re seeing now, failing miserably. Again.

I don’t think any management group will be able to work to its full potential no matter how talented they may be and be difference makers so long as this ownership group continues to handcuff their management with untenable restrictive mandates that favor the building of rosters that don’t permit the accumulation of premium assets, only mostly average players to try and make the playoffs.

In terms of the equation you postulate about a new management team and a change in organizational culture — I would say the latter is the most significant factor as it could reduce the most competent of new management to being nothing more than what Bergevin has been, even if Bergevin in his own right, presents a whole other set of issues by being incompetent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad