Can't choose 4k on youtube purchased movie

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So.. I bought a movie in 4k mainly because it would be 4k. But I cannot choose a resolution higher than 720p!

Youtube only tells me that my device probably doesn't support 4k. Which it does... I can see lots of 4k videos on youtube in 4k.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If there is no solution, has anyone gotten money back for a movie from google play/youtube?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Just found the answer.. they use an uncommon codec which fortunately enough is mostly just supported through their Chromecast..

How convenient...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Similar thing has happened to me too except worse. I rented an "HD" version of a movie but couldn't watch it at a higher resolution than 480p because they don't allow it on linux due to DRM reasons. Youtube needs to make it clear whether the content you are paying for is actually supported for the resolution you are paying for on your device.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Similar thing has happened to me too except worse. I rented an "HD" version of a movie but couldn't watch it at a higher resolution than 480p because they don't allow it on linux due to DRM reasons. Youtube needs to make it clear whether the content you are paying for is actually supported for the resolution you are paying for on your device.
Yep. I asked for a refund and got it within an hour, so I think they kinda know the issue and agree with us customers...

Google TV will be launched here in sweden in the summer (wow, almost a year after US launch?) and seems awesome though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad