GDT: Canes vs Rags - This is where the fun begins

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I was going to point out Orlov’s brainfart that caused the 2-on-0. It wasn’t him. It was Necas coming off the bench. He’ll hear about that one from the coaches.

I’m envisioning Kotkaniemi in the locker room going “no scratch” like that Saros commercial. Most confident game from him in a while.
Yes Necas inexplicably jumped when no one else was anywhere near. Its was weird

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Staal was the worst forward this game. Goal should be to score not win a faceoff.
It's hard though because I feel like we can't trust a lot of other guys for those clutch FOs. Hate to say it, but Aho is not as strong there as I'd like. I have never played hockey so I have no idea how much of FO wins are skill vs effort vs strength or what.

Reactions: Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I was going to point out Orlov’s brainfart that caused the 2-on-0. It wasn’t him. It was Necas coming off the bench. He’ll hear about that one from the coaches.

I’m envisioning Kotkaniemi in the locker room going “no scratch” like that Saros commercial. Most confident game from him in a while.

Nothing like your job being threatened to light a fire under your ass.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I thought overall they played pretty well in the d-zone tonight… Rod had them out for defensive draws a few times as well.
Overall they were fine, but Kuzy lost Trochek for the breakaway early in the 2nd and they got hemmed in and caught running around a few times. He’s just not as responsible defensively as the guys he’s replacing but that’s the trade off for phenomenal offensive talent.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yes Necas inexplicably jumped when no one else was anywhere near. Its was weird

Meh, calculated. Do we really want Necas defending a 2-on-1? :sarcasm:

Overall they were fine, but Kuzy lost Trochek for the breakaway early in the 2nd and they got hemmed in and caught running around a few times. He’s just not as responsible defensively as the guys he’s replacing but that’s the trade off for phenomenal offensive talent.

In theory! The offense hasn’t happened yet.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
2nd line looked good, just need more time to gel.

The 1st line looked off though. Passes weren't anywhere near their linemates most of the time, and Aho tried the "behind the net backhand pass to the slot" to no avail at least 4-5 times. It was read easily the first time around and sad to watch each time afterwards.

Finally, we gotta get Jarvis off the 3rd line. He's too talented to be playing with Martinook and Staal.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Haven’t read the whole thread…

Entertaining hockey in terms of some end to end stuff although I wish we could finish some of our chances. Goalies were good on both sides..

Another game where we had less PP than the opponent yet there were instances where we could have been awarded a power play that were not called.

I wrote a long ramble on officiating but cut it out as it’s not worth the word vomit as it’s clear the league isn’t going to do anything to address the situation. I shudder to think of the scale of the fraud given how every team is getting in bed with legalized gambling by partnering or outright owning sports books and the stink that appears to be getting ever more smelly with how much officials are materially impacting the outcome of games that have millions of dolllars being gambled on them. But we should just trust that the league and the refs they protect so overwhelmingly are totally on the up and up…. Look away, nothing to see or check up on here….. yup…

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

The 1st line looked off though. Passes weren't anywhere near their linemates most of the time, and Aho tried the "behind the net backhand pass to the slot" to no avail at least 4-5 times. It was read easily the first time around and sad to watch each time afterwards.

Finally, we gotta get Jarvis off the 3rd line. He's too talented to be playing with Martinook and Staal.

My only theory is we’re keeping Jarvis on the 3rd line to keep his value down. We’ll lock him up for 8 years and unleash 80-90pt Jarvy after.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada

Agreed on Jarvis. I think he needs to play with 59 and 92. Necas can play with KK and Noesen. Then have Martinook, Staal and Fast.

37-20-86
59-92-24
23-82-88
48-11-71

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
the last 3 minutes was us taking FOs after icing. But even then, they shortened the bench to 3 lines. It was staal’s turn
What are they 6 years old and everyone needs fair ice time? If that line is an offensive black hole, then they shouldn’t be seeing the ice no matter how good on faceoffs Staal is when we need a goal. I like Staal don’t get me wrong, but his offensive capabilities are basically all gone now.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What are they 6 years old and everyone needs fair ice time? If that line is an offensive black hole, then they shouldn’t be seeing the ice no matter how good on faceoffs Staal is when we need a goal. I like Staal don’t get me wrong, but his offensive capabilities are basically all gone now.

Except Staal wasn't the one who floundered offensive chances late in the game last night. It was Aho, Svech, Necas, Skjei, etc that lost board battles or took stupid desperate shots that just ended up getting blocked.

Reactions: Tryamw

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Didn't catch the game. Was there any rough stuff with the Rags new enforcer suspended or did they lay off of that?
not really. A few decent hits by both sides. The bigger issue was no space. I think maybe the calgary game was too easy. new lines need to mesh. We also got scouted pretty hard.

In the end one lucky bounce made the game. We hit a pipe and Guenzel as well as Kuzy both had really good looks.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
A few thoughts:
_ Staal being out there in an extra attacker situation is inexcusable.
_Necas is not the right linemate for 59/92. 2 guys with high hockey IQ paired with a guy with low. No bueno.
_When Pyotr is focused he is the f***ing real deal and I can't wait to see his continued development.
_Re-sign Chatty today please Don!

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
New York didn’t do much tonight either. Their best chances were off some bizarre coverage blunders. The goal was a fluke bounce.

Lost in the finish to the series 2 years ago was New York scoring just 2 goals combined over the other 3 games in Raleigh.
Let's also remember they beat us twice by 1 goal and in our win we torched them

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Maybe Aho and Svech shouldn't be paired together much going forward. I've never thought they had the best chemistry and seeing stats like this after yesterday isn't great

Their play is always "try and set up Svech for the one timer by the circle", which works on the PP when there's more space. Doesn't work as well when they're on the same line and teams have scouted it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad