GDT: Canes vs Bolts - it's a Black Friday Natural Disaster!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Again who didn’t we pursue to improve it that was available?
The goalie market has been awful lately
Who didn't they pursue...hard to say. The UFA market was meh in terms of talent, but there were certainly guys who were more likely to make it through a full season than the two guys they signed. That is a game of Russian roulette they have been playing for a couple of years now that finally came due.

And there were reports both Gibson and Hellebuyck were "available" for trade. Were there other available that were not known I can't answer, but this organization likely wouldn't pay for any in trade due to their philosophy regarding that position.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Who didn't they pursue...hard to say. The UFA market was meh in terms of talent, but there were certainly guys who were more likely to make it through a full season than the two guys they signed. That is a game of Russian roulette they have been playing for a couple of years now that finally came due.

And there were reports both Gibson and Hellebuyck were "available" for trade. Were there other available that were not known I can't answer, but this organization likely wouldn't pay for any in trade due to their philosophy regarding that position.
good points + besides deal making, they haven't drafted well for the position. Ok, I'm still PO'd about last night so this is a rant.....

DW has put together a roster that is not suited for playoff hockey (I believe he has done a crap job in putting together the finishing touches on the roster the last 3 years + I keep on seeing how our drafting is special but where are the players?....outside of Nikinsin, he has drafted small players....who is going to protect them?)

Playoffs are much more physical + you typically need outstanding special teams (I exclude LY's advance due to luck of the draw.... Isles took us to 6 because they were physical but not talented & Jersey is not physical....FL games were damn close but their "big" guys were difference makers, ie Tkachuk and Barkov...our ST have been poor in playoffs with PP meh & PK leaky against the good teams, ie Rangers & Bolts)

btw: I'd prefer that our 4th line have a Jeannot or Watson on it because we have 0 players that will protect and/or are tough. I've mentioned this a couple of times but it pissed me off last night that Noesen had 3 Bolts around him while the rest of the Canes just waltzed to the bench leaving him alone. Roster:

Forwards
Aho-TT-Jarvis - little guys who disappeared last night
Necas-KK-Svetch - two are big but they are told not to fight + if Svetch breathes on someone he gets a penalty
SMF - great checkers, but not "tough" players nor fighters
Drury-Noesen-Bunting Noesen isn't afraid but doesn't mix it up much and when he does the balance of Canes run away to the bench

Defense
Slavin-Burns. Burns is big but isn't physical, Slavin not his style
Skjei-Pesce Big, but not guys that hit (one every 10 games for Skjei, never by Pesce) or fight
Orlov-Chatfield-TDA Nope

FWIW: Bolts have at least 3 top level protectors for their smaller guys + the intimidation factor for balance of opposing line up.

Rant out......sorry for the spew.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

So health over save percentage is better? Health isnt really that important if you aren’t stopping the puck.

Gibson has / had awful numbers and there is little chance Anaheim would have moved him for how he was playing. So he stays.

Helley would have been a bad investment. Paying premium price and money for a dude that was going to decline his entire contract. No other team was going to pay the money or the assets for an aging goalie. So he stays.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
bball.gif

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So health over save percentage is better? Health isnt really that important if you aren’t stopping the puck.

I mean, if they are being as black and white as you are, the good times will end soon.

Of course you don't just prioritize health over save percentage as a hard and fast rule, but you do have to consider the career arcs of guys...in fact they do when it comes to contracts of every other position. They refuse to pay big money and long contracts to guys that will be in their late thirties at the end of the deals. This is in contrast to their goalie signings, however, where they gladly resign mid thirties goalies who have injury issues on other teams and our own team. Why is it such a blind spot for this group to think that a goalie might also decline in performance as they age, and why on Earth would they pick the top two in the organization to both be goalies with substantial injury histories?

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I mean, if they are being as black and white as you are, the good times will end soon.

Of course you don't just prioritize health over save percentage as a hard and fast rule, but you do have to consider the career arcs of guys...in fact they do when it comes to contracts of every other position. They refuse to pay big money and long contracts to guys that will be in their late thirties at the end of the deals. This is in contrast to their goalie signings, however, where they gladly resign mid thirties goalies who have injury issues on other teams and our own team. Why is it such a blind spot for this group to think that a goalie might also decline in performance as they age, and why on Earth would they pick the top two in the organization to both be goalies with substantial injury histories?
Again who are the goalies who we missed? Last year’s class was Andersen, Ned, Korpisalo, Quick, Talbot and Jarry. Did we miss anyone there?

2022 its was Kuemper, campbell, Samsonov, aaron dell, and lankinen

Who did we miss on? Lankinen?

Seattle’s Grubauer was our main target in 21 but Seattle snatched him in the expansion draft. We didn’t miss anything. We tried trading for him when Washington was trying to move him and offered a better 2nd than Colorado. Washington didn’t want him in division.

Markstrom was our primary target in 20. Calgary changed their offer to include a 6th year. Which I can understand not wanting to offer 6 years.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
To me the worst aspect of last night was the realization of how much better situated for playoffs the Bolts are compared to us. They have an incredibly athletic walrus in goal and a bunch of highly skilled stars who take full advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. And for good measure they have a few thugs on board in case the other team wants to play hardball.
And yet we advanced 2 rounds further than they did last year

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
You guys interested in Darcy Kuemper? He hasnt played as well with Lindgren/Shepard carrying the load…

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The realization from last night should be that sometimes you put an awesome period together and then the game gets away from you if you make a few mistakes. The last 10 min of the game are just burn the tape and move on, game was over, who cares how far the score racked up. 1st period was the best period of the season. Watching that and then making the conclusion that we can’t hang with this team or whatever is ridiculous.

Even the first 2 PKs where Tampa scored were good PKs. Tampa’s got great players and they made plays through what was otherwise a pretty structured kill. After that, everything fell apart a bit.

Burns does look off. In the offensive zone of all places which is odd. Orlov-Chatfield followed up their impressive debut with another impressive game. I think the pairings are more or less set.

Team still just hasn’t figured out who to play with who in the “top 9” (non-Staal lines) which is concerning. Feels like every time they figure something out that works they go away from it, and every time it goes stale for a few games they keep coming back with it. Rod never seems to want the lines I want. And I’m not smarter than Rod, but it feels like when he eventually makes lines that I like, they work. And then he goes away from them on a whim.

Last edited:

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
I was watching the game last night and fell asleep at the beginning of the third. I was flabbergasted by how the final score turned out. Not one of our best finishes.

It does seem that quite a few folks are a bit off. Maybe some small injuries/sicknesses going around? Hopefully tomorrows game will be better. Admittedly, it wouldn't take much to improve yesterday's game

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Raanta this season: looking at the forest vs. a tree (granted, a pretty f'ing ugly tree, lol).

raanta game log.jpg

Granted, last night's game is one that leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. But on the season Raanta has won 6 of 10, equivalent to 98 points for an 82 game season. If he continues to win at a 60% rate, even if 25% of his losses (10% of his total games) are embarrassing, how critical should we be of his performance (he is a backup goalie)? I did say "if"; it will be interesting to see what he does in his next start.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Raanta this season: looking at the forest vs. a tree (granted, a pretty f'ing ugly tree, lol).

View attachment 773226

Granted, last night's game is one that leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. But on the season Raanta has won 6 of 10, equivalent to 98 points for an 82 game season. If he continues to win at a 60% rate, even if 25% of his losses (10% of his total games) are embarrassing, how critical should we be of his performance (he is a backup goalie)? I did say "if"; it will be interesting to see what he does in his next start.

I mean, from what I'm seeing there, it looks like Raanta kind of shits the bed if he's even a little bit busy. Even in his wins, he's allowing 3 goals on 20-25 shots. Pittsburgh might be his only good game this year.

And last night showed that he is able to shit the bed even when facing very little. Doesn't leave a lot of options.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Really weird game. We flat out dominated in the first. And in the second, outside of some picture perfect passes from Kuch, our pk and overall game was rock solid. Sometimes these things happen. We don't have a skill player like Kucherov, but neither do like 29 other teams. And Kuch is often invisible 5 on 5.

I ain't too mad about it. I also have a one month old baby so he's my entire priority right now and puts things in perspective. That is when I am awake enough to have perspective.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Really weird game. We flat out dominated in the first. And in the second, outside of some picture perfect passes from Kuch, our pk and overall game was rock solid. Sometimes these things happen. We don't have a skill player like Kucherov, but neither do like 29 other teams. And Kuch is often invisible 5 on 5.

I ain't too mad about it. I also have a one month old baby so he's my entire priority right now and puts things in perspective. That is when I am awake enough to have perspective.
Congrats on the little one!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad